Thread: Get hard dish serial number of all the hard disk

Hyperactive Member

Get hard dish serial number of all the hard disk

I want to get hard disk serial number of all hard disk attached to a PC
    After a google search i found some code where i will get harddisk serial number of primary harddisk (using PRIMARY_MASTER of IDE_DRIVE_NUMBER)

But how can i get hard disk slno of all the harddisks?

PowerPoster

Re: Get hard dish serial number of all the hard disks

You can't.

Even the giant Pachinko Machine known as WMI will not be able to find it for some types of drives.

Depending on the drive make, model, and the bus it is connected to entirely different strategies are required. There isn't any single method you can use and even using several you are bound to miss some here and there.

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    You can't.

Even the giant Pachinko Machine known as WMI will not be able to find it for some types of drives.

Depending on the drive make, model, and the bus it is connected to entirely different strategies are required. There isn't any single method you can use and even using several you are bound to miss some here and there.
    But in Visual C++ i got the code from here
    Its nice and almost works.
    But in windows 8 it gives some different kind of output than the actual serial number. If actual serial number is 3A93584PL then it gives A393584LP .i.e last and first two characters are interchanged. It reads the drive IDs using physical access with zero rights in windows 8(even in administrative user) . In windows xp it uses access with admin. So do you know the reason for the error I am getting in windows 8?

PowerPoster

Sorry, no idea. Looks like a problem with 16-bit integer endianness to me.

I gave up on trying to use hardware drive serial numbers a while back. I never found any combination of schemes that was reliable, and certainly no single scheme that was.

Quote Originally Posted by IT researcher View Post
    But in Visual C++
    Well, you are most likely going to have to use a lower level such as C++ to retrieve the information then have the C++ dll send the information to a VB6 front-end so you can make use of the information.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

PowerPoster

See if this link works for your question:

http://vbnet.mvps.org/index.html?cod...em/windirs.htm

DeviceIoControl: Get a SMART Drive Serial Number