Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you eat?

Cool What do you eat?

Rice is an staple food of ours, I'd be weak if I don't have any rice at every meal. Then I always have home-cooked meats (pork, beef and chicken, no dogs and cats). And of course vegetables and fish.

Here are some of my favorites:

Dinakdakan
    Name:  dinakdakan.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  62.1 KB

Dinengdeng
    Name:  dinengdeng.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  58.6 KB

Pansit
    Name:  pansit.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  57.0 KB
    Last edited by dee-u; Aug 19th, 2014 at 04:51 PM.
    Regards,

As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

PowerPoster

Re: What do you eat?

Name:  cornfw2.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  10.2 KB

Buttermilk Jalapeno Cornbread

Good with honey-lime butter, plain hummus, or even tart cherry jam.

Frenzied Member

Everything. My favorite foreign dish is a toss up between two similar dishes: Butter Chicken and Chicken Tikka Masala (u w0t m8?)

Name:  27737_l.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  30.8 KB

If you are talking American and Southern, there is no dish better than ribs. I usually smoke ribs for 4 or so hours on a Saturday afternoon, they come out delicious.

Name:  DryRubPorkRibs-636.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  42.8 KB

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

We dont get much filipino food in the UK which is a shame

I couldn't even begin to list all the different types of food i eat, as there are too many but last night i had home made spaghetti bolognese

Name:  spaghetti.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  12.5 KB
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

King of sapila

You don't need anything else:
    Name:  zsio.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  85.5 KB
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

what is that?
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Quote Originally Posted by NeedSomeAnswers View Post
    We dont get much filipino food in the UK which is a shame
    You mean to say you like Filipino foods?
    Regards,

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

King of sapila

what is that?
    Oh you poor poor man!

You mean to say you like Filipino foods?
    I have no idea i haven't had the pleasure of trying any, but i would like to.

I like trying new food generally, I have had Thai and Malaysian food but not Filipino.

Oh you poor poor man!
    It looks like an over-sized Lasagne !!!

From the looks of it, do you guys even have home-cooked food?
    Regards,

King of sapila

It's called Pastitsio and it kicks a$$ .
    Dee, what do you mean even have? If you mean if we eat home made food frequently, then, yes in Greece i can say that the food is home made at a 80-20 ratio. That is if you know how to cook or have someone else do the cooking....Er, and i know how to cook!!!...NOT.

Frenzied Member

I have no idea i haven't had the pleasure of trying any, but i would like to.

I like trying new food generally, I have had Thai and Malaysian food but not Filipino.

It looks like an over-sized Lasagne !!!
    Looks like shepherds pie (thats cottage pie to you redcoats) :P

Quote Originally Posted by dee-u View Post
    We do, but I think its generally a combination or modification of other world foods.

Yep most of the food i eat is home cooked, either by me or my partner! The pictures i posted was just off the Internet i don't normally take pictures of my dinner

Last night i ate confit duck (duck cooked in its own fat which is just delicious) with roast vegetables.

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    It's called Pastitsio and it kicks a$$ .
    Dee, what do you mean even have? If you mean if we eat home made food frequently, then, yes in Greece i can say that the food is home made at a 80-20 ratio. That is if you know how to cook or have someone else do the cooking....Er, and i know how to cook!!!...NOT.
    I imagine you eat tubs upon tubs of tzatziki sauce every day.

King of sapila

Quote Originally Posted by jayinthe813 View Post
    I imagine you eat tubs upon tubs of tzatziki sauce every day.
    Nop, hate it.

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    Nop, hate it.
    Blasphemy!!! I love the greek food places we have here. Lamb Gyro, woohoo. I wonder if its "americanized" greek food, though. The brits have a good one too called the Doner Kebab.

Looks like shepherds pie (thats cottage pie to you redcoats) :P

Quote Originally Posted by dee-u
    We do, but I think its generally a combination or modification of other world foods.
    Hmm Dee-u did you mean food that is from our home country? or food that is home cooked?

I mean cooked in our homes. Those pictures seems to be bought only from fast foods or restaurants.
    Regards,

Blasphemy!!! I love the greek food places we have here. Lamb Gyro, woohoo. I wonder if its "americanized" greek food, though. The brits have a good one too called the Doner Kebab.
    90% of "ethnic" food in the US has been americanized. It's why I hate a lot of the "ethnic" food chains out there. When I can, I try to find the mom and pop emigrant places... those are some of hte best places to eat. I hate ordering Chinese from the white kid with the ear piercings. doesn't seem right. I want the place where you have to order by number because it's the only English they understand (and forget about asking to have something left off or sub'd) or you point to the item on the menu that's in English, Cantonese, Mandarin and Wu.

I'm still trying to find a decent gyro place out here. There's two greek restaurants. One's a bit too much $$$ for getting a quick gyro sandwich. The other is OK, but it's lacking something that I enjoyed back at my fav gyro place in NE.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

PowerPoster

The "real" ones don't just slice from a slab of Lamb SPAM on a spit though. Instead the spit has a stack of round flat slices of meat.

Quote Originally Posted by dee-u View Post
    I mean cooked in our homes. Those pictures seems to be bought only from fast foods or restaurants.
    I thought so it its was just Jays comment that made me doubt. The picture are just stock pics form the internet. Maybe i will try and take a picture of one of my actual meals next time

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    The "real" ones don't just slice from a slab of Lamb SPAM on a spit though. Instead the spit has a stack of round flat slices of meat.
    amen! I hear that.

And that's what I'm talking about the Americanization of ethnic food. A burrito here in the US is one thing... get far enough south of the border and a burrito will get you a little donkey. But a taco will get you what the US calls a burrito. I forget what tacos are called down there, but they're generally of the soft variety, not hard-shell.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

King of sapila

So it's settled then. When Funky comes to Greece we will order proper Giro's and eat till we burst!
    Not sure what the prices are in US, here is 1.50E to 2.50 E .
    You can probably get(brace):
    Pita Gyro chicken
    Pita Gyro pork
    Pita souvlaki(kalamaki) chicken
    Pita souvlaki(kalamaki) pork
    Simple souvlaki(kalamaki) pork(my fav) or chicken
    Pita chick-bacon
    Pita turkey
    Pita kebab
    Pita burger
    Pita sausage
    Pita vegetarian
    Pita chick bites,
    Aaaand some i can't remember right now.
    You can put sauce, tzatziki sauce, mayonnaise , fries, tomato, onions, lettuce, carrot , etc.

That's not bad. At the moment a Euro is 1.33USD ..so for 2.50E, that's 3.32USD... not bad. I typically pay 3.50USD to 4.50USD for a Gyro around here. So that sounds about right. I'd love to get to Greece to visit some day. Heck, I'd like to get to Europe and the Mediterranean in general at some point.

-tg

King of sapila

Well if you ever come to Greece, let me know. But i would suggest a summer visit.

I'd like to get to Europe and the Mediterranean in general at some point.
    I would recommend it , Italy, France and Spain are all beautiful countries with really really great food. i haven't been to Greece ....... yet !!!

Dee_u that looks delicious!
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I the UK a gyro's a benefit cheque. I have no idea what it is in Greece but I'm guessing some sort of kebab?

A Donner Kebab is NEVER a good idea. Sometimes it seems like a good idea. Those times are usually at about 3am when drunk beyond belief.

I'd say I usually cook for myself about 60% of my dinners (and about half of those will probably consist of me having freinds round for a dinner party). Of the other 40% I'd guess about 30% is a meal bought at a decent restaurant (I do like to eat out) and 10% is some pre-packaged rubbish bought from a store. I'd like to cut that last 10% out but sometime when I'm in a rush it's all I've got time for. Lunch is usually a sandwich bought from the local van so I can't claim to have cooked it but it is at least fresh.

Food is important. Good food is practically a religion for me.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    I the UK a gyro's a benefit cheque. I have no idea what it is in Greece but I'm guessing some sort of kebab?

A Donner Kebab is NEVER a good idea. Sometimes it seems like a good idea. Those times are usually at about 3am when drunk beyond belief.
    I had one at a take away and I thought it was delicious, but perhaps I have an unsophisticated american pallette. I was upset because the only thing I didnt get to try on my visit to the motherland was chicken tikka masala. I went to pubs and had all the traditional fare: steak pudding, yorkshire pudding, cottage pie, etc. It was all phenominal. I am a bit infatuated with the idea of moving over there. My father is a citizen so I can become a citizen and get a passport. the only thing stopping me is lack of a job. What do I do when I get there? Scary world.

I must say, if the exchange rates weren't so poor, I would visit every year.
    Last edited by jayinthe813; Aug 22nd, 2014 at 07:36 AM.

A Donner Kebab is NEVER a good idea.
    While it is not my favorite, and you get a lot of bad ones, there are places that do them properly with good quality meat. It just depends where you go.

Must be a cultural thing... here in the US, a Donner-Kebab isn't something you'd probably want.

-tg

In some of the joints round here I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's what I was getting...
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

PowerPoster

Eastern Canada has something they call donair that is sort of based on sliced meatloaf.

Probably a corruption of the Brit version of the Greek or Turkish food.

Frenzied Member

In some of the joints round here I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's what I was getting...
    This place had some real good food. I would highly recommend if you decide to go on a road trip.

there are places that do them properly with good quality meat
    Oh don't get me wrong, there are some decent doners out there, but let's face it, they're not traditional British doners. A traditional British doner needs to be so smothered in chilli sauce that that it burns your taste buds into submission before you've got time to realise just how God awful the meat is. Their traditional home is the gutters of the high streets at 3 am, sometime partially digested though it's difficult to tell.

If you've had a doner that actually tasted good it was probably one of those Greek knock offs.

By the way, has anyone ever had a doner kebab in France. They service it in a bap! In a BAP, mind you! Pfft, the French know nothing about food.

edit> by the way the way, has anyone ever heard of suya. It's a Nigerian kebab and it's seriously tasty.
    Last edited by FunkyDexter; Aug 23rd, 2014 at 09:54 AM.

My ex-wife was Filipino.
    This was especially difficult for me as I was raised with potatoes at every meal.

We compromised eventually. If I wanted taters I had to cook them.

Pansit, Lumpia, Chicken Adobo. All my favorites.
    I also love Thai dishes and anything smothered in Thai peanut sauce.

As a bachelor now I do not cook except to knock out a salad once in a while.
    The older I get the more I crave green leafies.
    Burn the land and boil the sea
    You can't take the sky from me

~T

Oh, so she was having rice and you have potatoes? I can't imagine myself eating potato every meal.

Green leafies are also a staple here in the Ilocos Province.
    Regards,

No we always had rice. Rice was a given for her. Potatoes, Turnips, Yams or anything else were an addition occasionally.
    Burn the land and boil the sea
    You can't take the sky from me

~T

PowerPoster

by the way the way, has anyone ever heard of suya. It's a Nigerian kebab and it's seriously tasty.
    Nope. But I have had emails from a Nigerian nabob.

I can't imagine myself eating potato every meal.
    Then whatever you do don't move to Ireland

I was upset because the only thing I didnt get to try on my visit to the motherland was chicken tikka masala. I went to pubs and had all the traditional fare: steak pudding, yorkshire pudding, cottage pie, etc. It was all phenominal.
    Where did you visit? there are Indian Restaurants all over the UK, most of them server much better curries than Chicken Tikka Massala - this is one of my current favorites.

I am a bit infatuated with the idea of moving over there. My father is a citizen so I can become a citizen and get a passport. the only thing stopping me is lack of a job. What do I do when I get there?
    Well your a working software developer (i am pretty sure form another thread), so as long as you moved to somewhere near one of the cities, you should have a fair opportunity to get a job, if you wanted. It would take a bit of work so you would really need to want to come, but if you have a few years experience i see no reason why you couldn't get a job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast