Thread: New Laptop Recommendations

Lively Member

New Laptop Recommendations

My current laptop which is my main computer at the moment is the ASUS K72JR - Specs and it is quite heavy and it is about time I upgrade.

Found this DELL Inspirion which seems quite good. I am after something more portable with decent battery life. I only use my laptop for programming and the occasional photo editing (usually GIMP sometimes InkScape).

I guess the most resource intensive stuff I do would be Visual Studio 2013.

Has anyone had any experience with DELL laptops? Or does anyone have any other recommendations? I am thinking those sort of specifications are perfect but could they be too much?

Lively Member

Re: New Laptop Recommendations

I have decided to go with an Ultrabook, I don't need it for gaming just programming and working with office majority of the time. So I am keen on something with SSD so I can install the OS, VS 2012, VS2013 and Office on it and have an external HDD for everything else.

I generally have browser, 2 instances of VS and office open. So was wondering if a good i5 and 4gb ram is good or if I should spend a little bit more and just go i7 and 8gb? Also screen would have to be 1920x1080 and above since most of the screens are 13-15inch

i have an acer aspire m i like a lot. It has a touch screen and 6gb ram and incredible battery life for a coreI5.
    My light show youtube page (it's made the news) www.youtube.com/@artnet2twinkly
    Contact me on the socials www.facebook.com/lordorwell

PowerPoster

The problem with "ultrabook" devices is they are basically just souped up netbooks.

While they tend to sport more RAM, more powerful CPUs, etc. they are far too reliant on marginal components that can overheat with use (which means they just throttle back performance or burn out early) and silly SSDs which are still far too small and pricey for practical serious use.

A conventional laptop does much better, and of course you simply can't beat a conventional desktop for the kinds of tasks described. You get far more bang for the buck this way, with a decent monitor or two, keyboard, and mouse. There is no reason to use a portable device for this, it just isn't ever going to be that good at it.

Otherwise if you aren't doing anything serious just get an Android tablet and be done with it for $200 or so.

For not programming I use the 14" HP Chromebook,
    My company bought the Basic Google Apps and Gmail for everyone so I do not have to purchase those.

Lightweight, thin, eight plus hours battery life.
    4 Gig Ram 32 Gig storage.
    lifetime tmobile access (with a per month cap) included.
    All for about $300.

I am looking forward to more information about the Android OS though.
    Burn the land and boil the sea
    You can't take the sky from me

~T

Then you can buy dell itself but check those specifications before you buy if u want rough use like gaming and all or light use like normal programs and official like ?? For what reason ??