Thread: Images Nesting

Oporto & Leiria, Portugal / Luanda, Angola

Images Nesting

Hello guys,

I'd like to build some sort of auto nesting software but I don't even know where to start.
    Main idea would use photos, One for the sheet (irregular sizes should be possible) and several others with several irregular shapes.

Has anyone ever try to do this?
    Any tips would be great

thanks
    ::Winamp 5.xx id3v2 & modern skin support::
    ::NetCF DataGrid Programatically Scroll Example::
    Don't forget to rate posts from those who helped you solving your problem, clicking on and rating it.

Frenzied Member

Re: Images Nesting

i got no idea whatsoever what your plan is and i think i am not the only one who cant make much sense out of your description. maybe explain in a bit more detail.

Are you talking about best fit of smaller rectangles into one large rectangle?

I have no knowledge of the place to start. Packing odd shapes can get un-godly complex rapidly. The good news is that rectangles would be almost the simplest of those sort of chores. Simplest of course would be all same sized squares.

To give you an idea how valuable nesting software is... A basic Nesting software package from SigmaNest starts at around $65,000.00 US.
    We use it to best fit flattened parts onto sheet metal.
    Burn the land and boil the sea
    You can't take the sky from me

~T

You might be interested in a little experiment I did a few years ago for packing random rectangles on a form. It isn't all that sophisticated and its efficiency depends on having a wide variety of rectangle sizes to pack. But it might give you a few ideas to start with. See attachment.

Name:  PackRectangles.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  35.6 KB

It should be possible to adapt it for non-rectangular geometrical shapes. The intersection test would be more complicated, but not too hard if all the shapes can be expressed as GraphicsPaths. But the packing efficiency would still be a lot less than optimal.

A completely different, and maybe more practical, approach would be to allow the user to drag shapes into the container and click them into place if they fit. With a bit of practice I should think someone could get quite efficient packings that way.

BB

PackRectangles.zip

Wow! Thanks Boops! I will have to dissect your code in detail tomorrow at work.

This should give the OP what he wants.

I agree though that all the professional nesting software packages i've seen also allow
    manual placement by the operatior by snapping to corner intersections at an offset.
    Such a feature would be the smart way to go.

I will see if I can get an image of one of our standard nests to post to show just how
    complex it can get with real world shapes.

Real world materials also have a good side and an bad side and usually some sort of grain that has to be aligned per part.
    This means no flipping or rotation of the base parts.

Further we run the software until we get optimal packing such that the largest single left over rectangle is generated. The waste piece itself can be used to cut more parts in a new nest.

The software is also sophisticated enough to place parts within parts within parts....
    Should the parts have wasted areas within them.

Loads of fun for the operator.
    Burn the land and boil the sea
    You can't take the sky from me

~T

Thanks for the reply, the idea is the same as this one
    Don't forget to rate posts from those who helped you solving your problem, clicking on and rating it.

Gruff, That's exactly what I'm looking for...but not for that huge amount of money ofc