Thread: Should I Patent This?

Computer Science BS Jacob Roman's Avatar

Should I Patent This?

Well I'm starting college again August 23rd. And I need to take Calculus 1 as one of my prerequisites to graduate, but couldn't cause they want me to take Pre-Calculus prior to taking Calculus. So I started learning on my own prior to taking the class some Pre-Calculus. Mostly while sitting on the toilet as reading material. Ok maybe that was TMI

So I run into Summation. Yes that funky looking greek letter thats shaped like an E (called a sigma Σ) that involves adding in increments from a starting point to an ending point. For example, if i = 1, and n = 5, the summation would be 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 = 15. It's literally almost just like a For loop in programming. And I was playing around with em. They gave a formula to solve summations not just in the book, but also on the internet, and so far its the only formula given:

n
    Σ
    i = 1

=

n(n + 1)
    ---------

However there is just one problem. The formula offered is only limited to Summations that start at 1. How would you solve other summations such as starting at 3 or 5 or any other number. So I tried finding a pattern for simple summations and found it. The new formula I came up with was missing a chunk from the one offered in math books and online:

n(n + 1) - i(i - 1)
    --------------------

So now you can put in whatever starting position you want for i, and ending position for n, and it'll solve the summation. Everything works so far. Question is, has this already been found or did I find a new way to solve Summations and should patent it right away?

Re: Should I Patent This?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Roman View Post
    Well I'm starting college again August 23rd. And I need to take Calculus 1 as one of my prerequisites to graduate, but couldn't cause they want me to take Pre-Calculus prior to taking Calculus. So I started learning on my own prior to taking the class some Pre-Calculus. Mostly while sitting on the toilet as reading material. Ok maybe that was TMI

So I run into Summation. Yes that funky looking greek letter thats shaped like an E (called a sigma Σ) that involves adding in increments from a starting point to an ending point. For example, if i = 1, and n = 5, the summation would be 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 = 15. It's literally almost just like a For loop in programming. And I was playing around with em. They gave a formula to solve summations not just in the book, but also on the internet, and so far its the only formula given:

n
    Σ
    i = 1

=

n(n + 1)
    ---------

However there is just one problem. The formula offered is only limited to Summations that start at 1. How would you solve other summations such as starting at 3 or 5 or any other number. So I tried finding a pattern for simple summations and found it. The new formula I came up with was missing a chunk from the one offered in math books and online:

n(n + 1) - i(i - 1)
    --------------------

So now you can put in whatever starting position you want for i, and ending position for n, and it'll solve the summation. Everything works so far. Question is, has this already been found or did I find a new way to solve Summations and should patent it right away?
    Your summation formula is incomplete because the term to be summed isn't shown. The most complete way to write it would be:

i = n
    Σ i
    i = 0

But you can omit the "i=" because this would also be understood:

n
    Σ i

It isn't quite the same as a loop in VB.Net because the counting variable i can't exist outside the calculation. So i can't appear in the formula for the resulting sum. Your "discovery" is actually correct except that your use of the symbol i is wrong. You should write the summation of all integers from m to n inclusive like this:

n
    Σ i
    m

and the formula for the sum will be:

n(n + 1) - m(m - 1)
    --------------------

As to the patent, I think you should write to Microsoft's legal department about that. They may want to charge you royalties for using it.

By the way, consider putting questions like this on the Maths forum, because you'll get the scrutiny of some math heavyweights there. And it's a bit too quiet there.

BB

Just make sure that your idea hasn't actually been done before by someone else.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Ill need to research it more to see if it exists. It would be pretty awesome to be the inventor of a new math method

I didn't realize you could patent math. Who should all those kids be paying for 1 + 1 = 2?
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

Sinecure devotee

You should probably read beyond the first chapter of the book.
    A quick look at "Summation" in Wikipedia shows one series which should look quite familiar to you.
    Name:  mSummation.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  5.5 KB

Rats

There goes my chance of being famous.

Quote Originally Posted by passel View Post
    You should probably read beyond the first chapter of the book.
    A quick look at "Summation" in Wikipedia shows one series which should look quite familiar to you.
    Name:  mSummation.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  5.5 KB
    What book are you referring too? I'm sure that Wikipedia article is interesting but I don't speak spanish...
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

Sinecure devotee

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    What book are you referring too? I'm sure that Wikipedia article is interesting but I don't speak spanish...
    I was making an inference to whatever book Jacob is reading.

As for the Wikipedia page, I did a google search on the word "summation", and the first hit was the english wikipedia page, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summation.
    (If you don't speak Spanish, you probably shouldn't be looking at the Spanish version of Wikipedia ).

Now, I am not any kind of math wiz (high school education, and not a good one, and Navy Technical schools (good)), so don't know or care about most of this, but there are quite a few summation series described on that page.

The excerpt I posted was the fourth summation under the section:
    Some summations of polynomial expressions
    Last edited by passel; Aug 18th, 2014 at 02:25 PM.