Thread: Error in the Transport Layer

Error in the Transport Layer

I'm not sure where this belongs, so I'm putting it here.

A colleague of mine built an OLAP cube in Excel and is trying to provide access to it. I'm not involved with this in any way other than being a guinea pig, but the error message that is coming back is highly opaque. I haven't seen anything particularly useful in Google searches, so I thought I'd ask whether anybody has some suggestions.

I can connect to the server fine, now, and see the cube, but when I try to open it I first get an error message which is in the subject line of this thread. Immediately following that I get this error message:

Errors in the OLE DB provider. An error occurred while loading the connection dialog box component for prompting.

I suspect that something is not installed right on the server in question, because the one lead I got from Google was that this can be related to SP2 of...some version of Office, though I currently forget which one. I think it is the version that is on that server, but when last I looked it didn't appear to have SP2.

Any suggestions I could pass along?
    (I don't want to get involved, I'm already kind of busy)
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Re: Error in the Transport Layer

That seems to be some kind of network error. The transport layer is where the TCP protocol, for example, sits in the OSI model. I really don't know anything about this Excel stuff but I'm going to venture a guess and say that a wrong provider is being used somewhere, kinda like if you tried to use the Jet provider to access an SQL Server instance. I've never tried that but I bet you would get all kinds of funky errors if you did.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Frenzied Member

Re: Error in the Transport Layer