Thread: SSD detected by BIOS, but not OS

Fanatic Member

SSD detected by BIOS, but not OS

my SSD suddenly stopped working. my BIOS will detect the SSD as "3.0 GBps device" but in windows or ubuntu, it won't show up anywhere that I've looked so far, disk manager in windows and fdisk -l on ubuntu.

I'm not sure what information I'm supposed to give, so please do ask.

It is a Corsair Force Series GT 120GB. (CSSD-F120GBGT-BK)

EDIT:

I have a 2 TB HDD as secondary for storage, right now I'm using a 250 GB HDD as primary. i use a 16 GB USB to load ubuntu. I'm actually not sure what all this means:

root@ubuntu:~# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sdb: 2000.4 GB, 2000398934016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 243201 cylinders, total 3907029168 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x4a3f74ed

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sdb1 63 3907027119 1953513528+ 42 SFS
    Partition 1 does not start on physical sector boundary.

Disk /dev/sda: 250.0 GB, 250000000000 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30394 cylinders, total 488281250 sectors
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x000e529e

/dev/sda1 * 2048 488278015 244137984 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

Disk /dev/sdc: 16.4 GB, 16355688448 bytes
    19 heads, 50 sectors/track, 33626 cylinders, total 31944704 sectors
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x0d777b9e

/dev/sdc1 * 8192 31944703 15968256 c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
    Last edited by Justa Lol; Aug 4th, 2014 at 02:01 PM.

Re: SSD detected by BIOS, but not OS

Not sure if SSD detected in BIOS but not detected by OS installation on the SanDisk website would work for you!
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

PowerPoster

Windows isn't really "safe for SSDs" until Windows 7, so maybe you burned it out from improper usage patterns.

Fanatic Member

Thanks for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker83 View Post
    Not sure if SSD detected in BIOS but not detected by OS installation on the SanDisk website would work for you!
    I have not tried this yet, but I will try this later today.
    I shall edit this message when I know more.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Windows isn't really "safe for SSDs" until Windows 7, so maybe you burned it out from improper usage patterns.
    I used windows 8 at the time it stopped working. I won't say that I have used it properly, because at this point, I actually don't know. I never actually formatted it, I only installed windows on it once. It stopped working while I was testing Magic Packet, I believe I may have put it into a "panic lock" or something.

EDIT:

I tried following the guide you provided, Nightwalker83, but the SSD didn't show up in diskpart. I even tried using different SATA interface and power cables, and different ports on the board, that I've used with the other HDDs, that way I'm 100% sure that the cables work properly. While I tried this, I disconnected the other HDDs.
    Last edited by Justa Lol; Aug 8th, 2014 at 09:52 AM.

PowerPoster

When you use SSD devices to hold a file system that uses the storage drivers the usage pattern is beyond your control.

It doesn't matter that you were using Windows 8 when it died, the question is what did you have using it extensively before that?

Windows 7 and later try to detect SSDs on ATA ports. If found:

Windows 7 will disable disk defragmentation on SSD system drives. Because SSDs perform extremely well on random read operations, defragmenting files isn’t helpful enough to warrant the added disk writing defragmentation produces.

By default, Windows 7 will disable Superfetch, ReadyBoost, as well as boot and application launch prefetching on SSDs with good random read, random write and flush performance. These technologies were all designed to improve performance on traditional HDDs, where random read performance could easily be a major bottleneck.

Since SSDs tend to perform at their best when the operating system’s partitions are created with the SSD’s alignment needs in mind, all of the partition-creating tools in Windows 7 place newly created partitions with the appropriate alignment.
    Also see Support and Q&A for Solid-State Drives.

Windows 8 improved on this and 8.1 did a little more. But anything before Windows 7 could do a lot of damage, of a kind that adds up over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Justa Lol View Post
    my SSD suddenly stopped working. my BIOS will detect the SSD as "3.0 GBps device"...
    I'm afraid that you're SSD is done. Normally, the BIOS detects and lists a HDD or an SSD using its manufaturer and model - not a generic "3.0 GBps device".
    Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.
    - Abraham Lincoln -