Thread: Should I study Accounting/AIS or MIS?

Should I study Accounting/AIS or MIS?

I just transferred to a 4 year university, and I applied for MIS. The fall quarter will start soon, and I still dont know if I live MIS or not. I like Accounting too. I'm planning to get a master degree. My dream is to start my own business so which major is better for me?

The Cons pp told me about MIS: as I get older I will not able to update my skills like the young students, and I will get laid off and will be hard to find a different job because company like young smart students and salary is also low because they have no experience.

I'm so indecisive, I need to figure this out now before too late. Any advice would be really appreciated.

Re: Should I study Accounting/AIS or MIS?

Make sure there is a need for the of profession that it is! There is no point in doing a course then finding yourself on the unemployment queue for years.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

There are need for both of these major. I just don't know which best for me if I start a small business in the future.

What are AIS and MIS?
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Tha'ts the first I've ever heard that about MIS ... By that regard, I should still be using BASIC and programming against 16 colors... your skills should be constantly updated and learning new stuff.
    If you want your own business - depending on what it is - you may want to look at MIS. If you want to do more hands on programming, look at BIS. I've never looked into AIS, so I can't comment on it.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Why type of small business can I do in the MIS industry?

I think that's the wrong question. The RIGHT question should be: what kind of business were you thinking about in the first place?

MIS is Management Information Systems - it's geared towards managing IT... CTOs, CIOs, as well as VP-IT, etc... it's the management side of the house, with a concentration in Info Systems... so my thought is that if you plan on owning & running your own business, an MIS seems to make the most sense... may be it doesn't. I mean, if you're planning on open a floral shop, then maybe MIS is over kill.

One option is to go with a BIS (or AIS I suppose) and use that to get started... then go back for a masters and get an MBA. Shrug.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Deleted.
    Last edited by TysonLPrice; Aug 4th, 2014 at 05:10 AM.
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

Should I study Accounting or MIS? which one is better for me?

Frenzied Member

if I may say, i think you are the one who can answer which is better for you. if you are good in accounting than MIS, then accounting is better but like Nightwalker said, its useless to go in accounting even if you are good at it if it will not bring you employment or good industry.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnxiv View Post
    I just transferred to a 4 year university, and I applied for MIS. The fall quarter will start soon, and I still dont know if I live MIS or not. I like Accounting too. I'm planning to get a master degree. My dream is to start my own business so which major is better for me?

The Cons pp told me about MIS: as I get older I will not able to update my skills like the young students, and I will get laid off and will be hard to find a different job because company like young smart students and salary is also low because they have no experience.

I'm so indecisive, I need to figure this out now before too late. Any advice would be really appreciated.
    The Godfather

You can act like a man!
    What's the matter with you? Is this how you turned out? A Hollywood finocchio that cries like a woman? "What can I do? What can I do?"

I've never seen that line in print.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbZEkFLXh9Y

My great grandfathers last name was Finocchio - and he was a barber. Wonder if he took any ribbing for that last name...

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

PowerPoster

There is no telling what you'll get from any random school offering an "MIS" degree program.

See http://education-portal.com/mis_programs.html for one of the better (though still vague) descriptions.

See the specific school's description. You could be getting anything from a management program with a computer emphasis, to a CRUD business programmer program, to even advanced box jockeying (so-called "IT" folks - the guys who fetch and carry PCs and run cables, self-styled "administrators").

But what you won't get is Computer Science, which is what you want if your goal is to work for software development companies. Sadly that label is just as abused, and at many schools "Computer Science" is just another synonym for MIS and its vagueness.

If the degree program doesn't require calculus it isn't a Computer Science program. Not that calculus per se is all that useful in general, but you'll be taking advanced courses like discrete mathmatics so for historical reasons calculus is seen as a "gateway."

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post

If the degree program doesn't require calculus it isn't a Computer Science program. Not that calculus per se is all that useful in general, but you'll be taking advanced courses like discrete mathmatics so for historical reasons calculus is seen as a "gateway."
    I had to lookup the definition of calculus to see why it isn't all that useful in general...seems to me that computers were invented because of calculus: it's a tool that allows use to perform calculus in more and useful ways.

Calculus is used in a lot of industries, but because of the [few] people who actually have real degrees, it's hidden from most peons, so they believe that it isn't used or useful. Now accounting, on the other hand...only really useful if you have lots of cash and want to not have the government leech it.
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

In 30 years of coding I recall using calculus only once - some kind of formula for an array with an identity line (diagonal) - basically 50% of an array cut along the diagonal.

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008