Thread: [VOTE] Removal of a general setting

PowerPoster

[VOTE] Removal of a general setting

I just noticed this setting and I vote that it is removed!
    What is the point to even come on here if your hidden?

Name:  removal.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  23.5 KB

Re: [VOTE] Removal of a general setting

I too am wondering the same thing!
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

While I don't feel any need to use it myself, I have no problem if other people want to. In fact, I've noticed a few users who do use it (the little green/grey dot that's next to their username is yellow to indicate hidden). All it means is I can't tell if they're on line "right now" but I don't think I've ever needed to know and if it gives them a bit of privacy they're welcome to it.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Max187Boucher - the option has been around for years. What difference does it make if someone uses it or not

I go hidden from time to time when I need to watch a thread that's getting heated by a potential troublemaker.

FD - that's one of your new super powers

Quote Originally Posted by Max187Boucher View Post
    I just noticed this setting and I vote that it is removed!
    What is the point to even come on here if your hidden?

Name:  removal.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  23.5 KB
    Well, here is another way to ask it. Would you like an option available to not have other people know if you are logged on or not? I'll bet most members would say yes. Whether you use it or not it is nice to have the option.

What's the point of coming here if you are hidden?
    1. Viewing the code bank.
    2. Reading posts.
    3. Searching forums for specific items.
    4. All the other functionality that makes this a great site without posting.

Along the same lines I often use the Google incognito mode. If I ever get banned from here I'll move on to Tor
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

FD - that's one of your new super powers
    It is?! Then let the stalking begin!
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

King of sapila

I would vote for an addition of a webcam. It would be nice for people to see how calm i can be when i answer again and again to people that just, don't get it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfgI...tailpage#t=183
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Blimey. We really are getting a bit "Big Brother" at that point.

PowerPoster

The reason I find it kind of stupid is, let's say your helping someone and your waiting for them to reply and the user is "hidden" then you never know if he is online to reply to your help.

Another reason would be, let's say you are seeking help yourself and you see a person is looking at your thread you know you will get an answer soon, otherwise then you would be waiting on santa clause to bring you presents.

Personnally I don't see the need to hide in a public forum while asking or giving help. Steve that could be an option for moderators not all users. Why would users hide and snoop at threads is plain ridiculous to my eyes.
    Last edited by Max187Boucher; Jul 31st, 2014 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Spelling error

I set myself to hide because, in the past, I've received PM's of people basically demanding I check out their thread that I had responded to before. Sometimes I have nothing more to input and sometimes I am on just to answer simple questions and don't have time to get involved in anything else.

I hide my presence because then I don't feel obligated to answer anything unless I feel like it. You can argue that I'm volunteering and that I'm not obligated at all, but I can guarantee not everyone around here (especially those asking a bunch of questions) feel the same.

King of sapila

Now that i think of it, this should definitely stay!
    I have reversed engineered Max's comments,so:
    You get addicted of waiting the helped used to reply, so assuming you goto go to the toilet, you may as well drop the bombs in your room,office,lounge,etc.

You open a thread, the user immediately see you are online and start bombing you with "Hey sap!Here here!Answer!Here!Come on, i see you are online!" Give me a B-R-EAK!! And don't y all say that you are not waiting for JM to get online and then hunt him down with questions. I know the guy loves that (it's called masoITism ) but i hate it.

Another use of hidden is also a massive DOS attach planned by several users in here in a couple of days in order t......Ehhh, no that was, heh, that was a joke, heheh, (was it?hehe heheheeeee!!)

The reason I find it kind of stupid is, let's say your helping someone and your waiting for them to reply and the user is "hidden" then you never know if he is online to reply to your help.
    Stupid seems like a strong word to me. I would never sit and wait for a reply. That's what makes the email notification great.

Another reason would be, let's say you are seeking help yourself and you see a person is looking at your thread you know you will get an answer soon, otherwise then you would be waiting on santa clause to bring you presents.
    Do you have email notification turned on? I have enough on my plate one item rarely stops me from working on other things.

Personnally I don't see the need to hide in a public forum while asking or giving help. Steve that could be an option for moderators not all users. Why would users hide and snoop at threads is plain ridiculous to my eyes.
    I'm always visible but if someone wants invisible to be I wouldn't call them hiding, spooping, or ridiculous; It is their option. Your point seems analogous to everyone should have to take a drug test or submit their DNA, if you don't you must be hiding something.

King of sapila

Another one is the lovable annoying provocation.
    P.E. , i see Funky is online so, here Funky Funky , here Funky, where is Funky, eh? Where is Funky?! Oh your're a good boy, goood boy Funky, goood booooyyy!
    And now i go to ninja mode,..Since funky can see my hidden online thing, i log out completely...
    Fsssssssssssssssssssst! Gone!

PowerPoster

Everyone has their point of view I guess . Take it like this, if you like hiding, when your at work and a customer you don't like shows up would you hide from them or answer all their questions?

I personally like to see who's viewing a thread but share your thoughts. Thanks for the input guys

Everyone has their point of view I guess . Take it like this, if you like hiding, when your at work and a customer you don't like shows up would you hide from them or answer all their questions?
    I'm being paid for being at work and it is my job to deal with that customer. That is not the case here, so that seems like a completely irrelevant point.

Quote Originally Posted by kfcSmitty View Post
    I'm being paid for being at work and it is my job to deal with that customer. That is not the case here, so that seems like a completely irrelevant point.
    Ditto that...

i see Funky is online so
    Funky is ALWAYS on line. Funky is ALWAYS watching. It is the Funky way. Fear the Funk!.

I do have some sympathy for Max's point of view but I don't agree with it. There are times when a thread becomes "discussive" with immediate exchanges between members and those exchanegs often lead to the quickest and best solutions to a problem. However, I think those times are just happy coinincidences and not something you can expect or push for. If I'm posting a question I always start from the assumption that it'll be a day or so before I get a response. If I get one in less than that I take it as a bonus.

And I'd certainly hate to feel obligated to jump into another user's thread even if I'd helped in it already. I even find it annoying when someone pms me saying "look at my thread". It comes across as pushy even if it's not meant that way.

And I fully realise I have just invited an avalanche of pms saying "look at my thread". They'll probably all link to post race

If a member wants to reply then they will just reply either invisible or not, even if they are online/visible it does not automatically mean that they are going to reply anyway.

Don't we like invisibility so our boss wouldn't know that we are actually online?
    Regards,

As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

King of sapila

Quote Originally Posted by dee-u View Post

Don't we like invisibility so our boss wouldn't know that we are actually online?
    Just serious developers searching a serious forum for serious answers, just because there is a chit chat thread does not mean we use it all the time. I see not post count rising in my account anyhow, so i am probably not in the chit chat and not posting! Maaaggiiiccc!!

Remember the big brother watch to you.

I can't see the picture even zoomed. Help a member out it's killing me!!!!!!

Goto Settings, select the General Settings menu on the right, and look at the first set of radio buttons.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Are you seriously telling me thats what builded my excitement up for?

so summery is Max187Boucher does not like a setting that he/she does not use?

I have this set and post daily. Your turn to reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Goto Settings, select the General Settings menu on the right, and look at the first set of radio buttons.
    GOTO is very much alive!
    Regards,

As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

GOTO thread subscriptions, then End Sub.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing