Thread: Gest way to show this in a gridview?

Frenzied Member

Question Gest way to show this in a gridview?

Hello,

I don't know if this is more of a database question or for here. What I need to do is list records of data in a gridview from a SQL table. Yes, I already know how to do this with a SQLdatasource control. But here is my problem. I need to list them in time order starting with 12:00AM through the whole day every half hour. My problem is in the table I only have the half hour times that the person worked. And I need to list every half hour even if they did not work. The other fields going with each time is Activity1 and Activity2. I only have records that has the activity in the table.

So do I need to create a datatable from the SQL data and then fill in the missing times? Or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks,

Warren

Re: Gest way to show this in a gridview?

One option would to use your SQL code to create a result set that contains all the half-hour blocks and then outer-join that with your existing data. That will create a result set that includes all the periods worked or not and then you use the SqlDataSource as normal.

King of sapila

+ You shouldn't be using SQLDatasource in the first place. An evil control that bloats your page(discussions have been made hundreds of time so i won't go to details).
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Frenzied Member

Thanks. I use the SQLDataSource control all the time for when I need to bind a stored procedure to a grid. It is much easier than coding to query data by code, put it in a datatable and then bind it. I use the Telerik asp.net control set and love it!

Warren

Hi,

Well I agree on Sapator on not using SQLDatasource control. So, did @jmcilhinney answer in post #2 helped you
    with your problem?

KGC
    CodeBank: VB.NET & C#.NET | ASP.NET
    Programming: C# | VB.NET
    Blogs: Personal | Programming
    Projects: GitHub | jsFiddle
    ___________________________________________________________________________________

Rating someone's post is a way of saying Thanks...

Frenzied Member

I am actually about to try doing that. I'll reply back in a bit with the results but definitely makes sense.

Warren