Thread: Winsock connect problem

PowerPoster

Winsock connect problem

Yesterday I was able to connect to my website like this:

Winsock1.Connect "www.mywebsite.com", 80

Now it won't connect and it does not fire the Error event either

I can, however, connect to my website using a browser

Anything I post is an example only and is not intended to be the only solution, the total solution nor the final solution to your request nor do I claim that it is. If you find it useful then it is entirely up to you to make whatever changes necessary you feel are adequate for your purposes.

Re: Winsock connect problem

Try using the IP address of the website instead. The idea is that you want to determine whether its some kind of DNS problem with Winsock.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

PowerPoster

Same problem.

I don't get it. OK connecting using browser but not Winsock. I did think that perhaps my ISP is blocking port 80 but then if that is the case how does browser connect.

Anything I post is an example only and is not intended to be the only solution, the total solution nor the final solution to your request nor do I claim that it is. If you find it useful then it is entirely up to you to make whatever changes necessary you feel are adequate for your purposes.

PowerPoster

Since you were connected yesterday then you know it's not your ISP blocking it. Though ISP could be blocking unknown connections from port 80 such as your vb6 program, but not microsoft' ie or google' chrome (known programs) which I doubt it would be the case here.

A lot of times it's a router or a firewall blocking it. You have port forward on both? or accept incoming on port 80? Don't forget that anti-viruses also has protection which could block some port 80 connections.

It is hard to find the problem when it's not on your own computer (for us). I hate antivirus and firewalls, I personally uninstall/disable all of them, or simply keep the anti virus to scan once in a while.. Also my router is built in my ISP modem, which sucks even more because there is not as many options to allow ports to be opened and such. Ever since I've had this router/modem (isp) my xbox 360 disconnects all the time so I quit playing, but my laptop never disconnects, so i know its a port (or my ISP modem/router) problem, I did try to fix it and still no luck.

All this just to say it has something to do with your port in your router/firewall/antivirus protection.

In the windows 95-98 age this would never happen

PowerPoster

Your Router may need a re-boot

PowerPoster

You know, maybe that's has something to do with it. I had forgotten that I did a router shut down for about an hour and then turned it back on. It seems that I was able to use port 80 in my VB project before I shut down the router and after I turned it back on I wasn't able to use port 80 eventhough the browser has no problems with using port 80

Quote Originally Posted by jmsrickland View Post
    You know, maybe that's has something to do with it. I had forgotten that I did a router shut down for about an hour and then turned it back on. It seems that I was able to use port 80 in my VB project before I shut down the router and after I turned it back on I wasn't able to use port 80 eventhough the browser has no problems with using port 80
    Could the router firewall be blocking the connection?
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

PowerPoster

Here's something that I just remembered. Verizon updated my Internet by upgrading from 50/25 to 50/50 and now I remember that there was a short time that my Internet was not operational and then after a while it was back on. Now if I remember correctly it was after it came back up that I first discovered that I couldn't connect to any website on port 80 or 21 but other connections were OK and the browsers (IE and Chrome) were able to connect on port 80 but none of my VB apps could do it. Something smells fishy around here