Thread: one more on my data arrival

Lively Member

one more on my data arrival

ok i am recivived data through a proxy i made it is comeing in 2 arrivals but for some strange reason i cant get them both i tried to define buffer as data and buffer = buffer and data for second part but its losing it its a one payload just it splits just because of the time delay i guess would i use the ubound (data) but that requires an array and the only way i have ever used it was with a splitter give me your examples its right under the .getdata because the rest is in cases so i will prob get a huge buffer of data but i can say it does start with "u-" if that can be my setpoint for the buffering plz help im so stressed this is due soon and im lost ...or is there a way i can set it to just get the 2 data arrivals and make it stop with a if or case or
    if mid(data,2) = "u-" then
    prefix = left(data,6)
    main = mid(data,7)
    is what i used before i did it in a proxy
    and it was fine now the prefiz works but the main it only grabs 10 of the 48 coming because the last 38 are recieved in the next dataarrival and they change so i cant set it to find it by any common bytes

PowerPoster

Re: one more on my data arrival

define buffer as data and buffer = buffer and data
    ??

You must append incoming data to the buffer as it arrives. If you are using AND then that would be a problem.
    If not then you should show the code you are using

Lively Member

Private Sub Winsock1_DataArrival(ByVal bytesTotal As Long)
    dim data as string,buffer as string,keyset as string
    winsock1.getdata data,vbstring
    buffer = buffer & data
    keyset = buffer
    ''''' then here i would split the string up right

end sub
    in the first arrival it gets 10 bytes so buffer is 38 short but immidiatly after iy arrives in next arrival the 38 remainder i assumed it would add the existing 10 bytes and the new data hence buffer & data but it forgets the first 10 and just adds the last 38 on the second arrival,,,, i rigged it to work but its really trashy code and i dont like it so how would you do this
    '

Fanatic Member

You have a Variable Scoping problem:
    Code:
       Dim data as string
       Dim buffer as string
       Dim keyset as string All local to the procedure so get re-initialised every time the procedure is called. 

winsock1.getdata data, vbstring

buffer = buffer & data
       . . .
    The first time this is called, buffer is initialised (to ""), then 10 bytes added to it.
    The next time it's called, buffer is re-initialised (to "" again), then 38 bytes added to it.

Solution: Move the declaration of buffer outside the procedure, as in:
    Code:
    Private smBuffer as String

. . .
    Regards, Phill W.

PowerPoster

Or

Code:
       Static buffer as string

PowerPoster

Your mid(data,2) = "u-" is incorrect. The 2 means the starting position and you also give no length so this will fail. What you need is mid(data, 1, 2) = "u-"

Also, if you are going to use the variables data (or buffer), prefix, main, or keyset in any other part of your program other than in the DataArrival you need to declare them in the declaration section of your code.

Also you cannot depend on the data always coming in to be in two segments. Just because it has doesn't mean it always will and if this is going to run on someone else's PC that's all the more reason you can't depend on how the data arrives. It can arrive in two segments, three, four, or whatever segments. You need to know how a particular string is going to end, like a termination code, for example, and then you buffer up the incoming data until you read that termination code.
    Last edited by jmsrickland; Jul 24th, 2014 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Removed paragraph that wasn't correct

Anything I post is an example only and is not intended to be the only solution, the total solution nor the final solution to your request nor do I claim that it is. If you find it useful then it is entirely up to you to make whatever changes necessary you feel are adequate for your purposes.

PowerPoster

Also, it is not a good idea to define Static buffer as string in the DataArrival because you may need to clear out any previous data in the buffer before you do something else that will call the DataArrival so this should definitely be defined in the declaration section as Phil.W posted
    If you need access to the variable outside the sub then yes it needs to be defined at the form level or possibly even at a module level and made public.
    If it does not need to be available elsewhere but needs to retain its value within repeated calls to the sub then it should be defined as static with in the sub

As a general rule you should not define variables at a higher level than will be needed for the task at hand so whether or not it is a good idea to use one method over the other is totally dependent on the task at hand.

PowerPoster

I agree with DM. The buffer is specific to the DataArrival event and should be defined as Static in that routine. Irrespective of its scope the buffer will need managing.

1. You have to accumulate data into the buffer until you have at least one complete 'record'
    2. When the buffer has been fully processed it must be flushed
    3. After a logical record has been processed from the buffer it should be removed and the buffer checked for more data

EDIT: BTW @JM - MID$("abcde",2) is perfectly valid and will return bcde
    i.e. it will return from the offset to the end of the string
    Last edited by Doogle; Jul 24th, 2014 at 02:18 PM.

PowerPoster

Thanks, DM and Doogle for correcting me. I edited my post and removed that paragraph

Anything I post is an example only and is not intended to be the only solution, the total solution nor the final solution to your request nor do I claim that it is. If you find it useful then it is entirely up to you to make whatever changes necessary you feel are adequate for your purposes.

Lively Member

atamiser phill strikland and doodle i thank you for your help all makes since

it was setting back to """" because my dumb a$$ was declaring it as string after the getdata i declared it in for declarations as private and it works great ive never seen the static buffer as string but i assume that means it continuous in that perticukar function but i got it the way i said do you think it would be more prof to use the static since i dont need the buffer data except in that datarivvale sub its not used anywhere else i parse it in the data arrival.... or should i create a function in the module to parse this but that wouldnt be prof cuz its not used anywhere else i think the static will be the prof i just private buffer as string in the form decla i got a real question that i need help with not with anything but help i wrote a proj and im no prof and in it i have a bunch of boolean true or falses in my datarrival i did it to force it to work but i think i could set cases in those and i may not need it but my ? is if i post a dataarrival code could any of you loook at it and tell me how trashy it is and how i could make it more efficient it works as it but i got 4 or 5 if blah = then else
    on the arrival to my thought force my results probs to you guys !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks you alot

PowerPoster

The Static declaration is specifically for a variable that is local to a function or sub but needs to retain its value so yes Static would be the correct choice in this case.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Doogle View Post
    EDIT: BTW @JM - MID$("abcde",2) is perfectly valid and will return bcde
    i.e. it will return from the offset to the end of the string
    Thanks for the info but I already knew that so why are you telling me this?
    Last edited by jmsrickland; Jul 25th, 2014 at 02:26 AM.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by jmsrickland View Post
    Thanks for the info but I already knew that so why are you telling me this?
    your statement in Post#6 - states that the Mid$ will fail. I was just pointing out that the length is not mandatory.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Doogle View Post
    your statement in Post#6 - states that the Mid$ will fail. I was just pointing out that the length is not mandatory.
    You mis-read my post

PowerPoster

Yes the OP was apparently looking to get the 1st 2 characters in the string but was passing 2 as a starting position and no length so it would never return what he was expecting

It would be required to pass 1 as the starting point and 2 as the length in order to grab the first 2 characters and check for a match as was stated in post #6