En

Set the following properties
    DropDownStyle = DropDownList
    AutoCompleteSource - ListItems
    AutoCompleteMode = Suggest

Then copy and paste the combobox

Then add the following code

Code:
        Private Sub ComboBox1_SelectionChangeCommitted(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles ComboBox1.SelectionChangeCommitted
            Debug.WriteLine(ComboBox1.SelectedIndex)
            Debug.WriteLine(ComboBox1.Text)
            ComboBox2.Select()
        End Sub

Private Sub ComboBox2_Enter(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles ComboBox2.Enter
            Debug.WriteLine(ComboBox1.SelectedIndex)
            Debug.WriteLine(ComboBox1.Text)
        End Sub
    Run it.

Type ab then enter, then shift tab, then ab, then enter. If you are running Windows 7 the combobox1 says Ac, if you are running Windows 8.1 it says Ab. In all cases the debug shows the correct values(0 and Ab).
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve
    Counting Bits -- Subnet Calculator -- UI Guidelines -- >> SerialPort Answer <<

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

Re: ComboBox Behavior - error/bug

It appears to be cycling through the list... if you keep going it'll select Ac then Ad then back around to Ab... it also does this if you just press "a" each time in the combo box. So that may have something to do with it.
    If you change it to SuggestAppend... when you shift-tab back into ComboBox1, and just press "a" ... you'll see that it selects "Ac" I suspect it has to do with how it's processing the keystrokes.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Why would you set auto-complete properties if the DropDownStyle is DropDownList?

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    Why would you set auto-complete properties if the DropDownStyle is DropDownList?
    The combobox is to allow the user to select a pair of letters and when they press enter it uses those values to load the second combobox with items from a DB that start with the letter pair. When I deployed this app that was developed on Win 8.1 to a Win 7 machine I found this anomaly. If the autocomplete is set to none then the first letter causes the event to fire.

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    It appears to be cycling through the list... if you keep going it'll select Ac then Ad then back around to Ab... it also does this if you just press "a" each time in the combo box. So that may have something to do with it.
    If you change it to SuggestAppend... when you shift-tab back into ComboBox1, and just press "a" ... you'll see that it selects "Ac" I suspect it has to do with how it's processing the keystrokes.

-tg
    Yes that is what it does. On Win 8.1 I don't see this behavior.

Did you notice the debug?
    Last edited by dbasnett; Jul 23rd, 2014 at 08:45 AM.
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

The problem only occurs if I .Select the other combobox. If you comment out ComboBox2.Select() and do this the problem doesn't happen.
    type ab
    press enter
    press tab
    press shift tab
    type ab
    press enter
    press tab
    press shift tab

I have several confirmations of how this behaves on the two platforms, but no resolutions.

Here is what this is about.

I am re-writing an application, in VB 2012, that manages / edits / prints an index of statutes. This is an index like you might find in the back of a book but it has 2500 major entries, such as Elections, Taxation, Schools, etc. There are over 190,000 entries that fit under the major entries. When printed it takes four volumes.

To aid the users the application takes the 2500 major entries and determines which pairs of letters are present based on the starting two letters of the major entries. Those letter pairs are loaded into a combobox. When the user selects a pair of letters another combobox is filled in with the major entries that start with those letters.

If this can't be fixed, or even if it can, is there a better way to help the user navigate the system?

I ask again, why would you be setting auto-complete properties if the DropDownStyle is DropDownList? DropDownList means that the user can only select an item and can't type text into the control. In fact, I just tried to set the AutoCompleteMode to Suggest when the DropDownStyle was DropDownList and the designer wouldn't let me. If you want to be able to use auto-complete then the user has to be able to type into the control, so the DropDownStyle has to be DropDown. Maybe you should just be using a TextBox with auto-complete on and forget about the drop-down list altogether.