Thread: Boot software sequence documentation?

Boot software sequence documentation?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had a link to a document about boot software sequence.

I have written a SQL Server Express Backup utility and I would like to put it in the All Users Profile Startup folder.

I am concerned about the SQL server being loaded first as well as network connections since I am backing up to an area on our lan.

I have written an configurable delay but not sure how long to wait or even if it is necessary.

Regards,

~Tom~
    Burn the land and boil the sea
    You can't take the sky from me

~T

Re: Boot software sequence documentation?

I would have a delay... a couple minutes should be OK. I would then set it up to test for the network drive... and if it exists, attempt to make a connection to the database. If that fails, then go back to sleep for another 60 seconds... and try again... once you can test for and see the network locaiton, and establish a connection to SQL Server, you're good.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Re: Boot software sequence documentation?

This is what I am currently trying. The timer interval is configurable.

The big deal is that I want this to complete before the user tries to run his apps that make use of the Server. (SigmaNest nesting software)

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Code:
      Private Sub LaunchTimer_Tick(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles LaunchTimer.Tick
        ' Automatic program load if run from Windows TaskManager or All_Users Profile Startup folder.
        Static TestCount As Integer = 0

If TestCount > 2 Then
          ' Give it three tries
          LaunchTimer.Stop()
          MessageBox.Show("Backup failed due to network connection or remote operation")
          Me.Close()
        End If

'Check for Networkconnection and live PC login. (Not remoted)
        If SystemInformation.Network And SystemInformation.TerminalServerSession = False Then
          If Directory.Exists(lblNetworkBackupPath.Text) Then
            LaunchTimer.Stop()
            BackUp()
            Me.Close()
          End If
        End If
        TestCount += 1
      End Sub
    Last edited by Gruff; Jul 17th, 2014 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Added Pic
    Burn the land and boil the sea
    You can't take the sky from me

~T