Thread: [RESOLVED] SetUp new PC problem

PowerPoster

Resolved [RESOLVED] SetUp new PC problem

Just bought a new Win 7 Pro x64 machine. Trying to move my project from old Win7 machine. When I try to run or build project I'm getting error. It can't find some of the references, when I try to go to reference I get this error.
    "Could not resolve mscorlib for target framework '.NETFramework,Version=v4.0'. This can happen if the target framework is not installed or if the framework moniker is incorrectly formatted."

I can't download FW 4 because I have 4.5 installed but ver 4.5 doesn't show up as one of the choices of Target Framework. Do I have to uninstall FW 4.5? btw, there is a .Net FW 4 Multi Targeting pack installed.

Thanks for any information

Re: SetUp new PC problem

4.5 is installed already? I'd advise not uninstalling any framework. Have you actually tried installing 4.0?

I'd try reinstalling 4.5

Quote Originally Posted by .paul. View Post
    I'd try reinstalling 4.5
    I'd get rid of w7 and install 8.1

PowerPoster

.paul, Thanks for the reply

Yes I already did a reinstall, thought maybe then it would show up in the Target Framework choices.

PowerPoster

When I try to install ver 4, It say "Installation will not occur", in the details it says,
    "Same or higher version of .NET Framework 4 has already been installed on this computer."

I would guess that you are using VS2010 (or 2010 Express), which can only target 4.0 (and some earlier ones). To target 4.5 you need either 2012 or 2013. Still, I thought that if you had 4.5 you also had 4.0, because one is just an extension of the other.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    I would guess that you are using VS2010 (or 2010 Express), which can only target 4.0 (and some earlier ones). To target 4.5 you need either 2012 or 2013. Still, I thought that if you had 4.5 you also had 4.0, because one is just an extension of the other.
    Same time post

PowerPoster

ident, Shaggy thanks for the replies. Yes I'm using 2010 Pro. Don't really want to buy 2012, I don't really need it. Can't use the Express version because there is no Crystal Reports for that version.

Strange thing though, I created a new project and targeted Framework 4 and there was no problem when I went to view the references.

Seems like I have two choices, remove FW 4.5 and install FW 4 or create new project and add the items from my existing project. Seems like a lot of work, one of the projects probably has close to 100 items. Think I'll keep looking for another solution for a while.

PowerPoster

I may have spoke to soon. My other .Net 2010 projects seem to be loading and running ok. To bad take the one that's not working is the really large one. Buying a new machine is fun. Setting up a new development machine is a lot of work, so much to install.

PowerPoster

Well, I got it working. There may be some issues but it is at least running in the IDE. I just had to remove some references. Now I need to figure out why they were there!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ident View Post
    I'd get rid of w7 and install 8.1
    W8 or W8.1 are crap.

Quote Originally Posted by berny22 View Post
    W8 or W8.1 are crap.
    Thanks for that wonderful insight.

Re: [RESOLVED] SetUp new PC problem

W8.1 is awesome. I'm running it on a Surface Pro 2, and I totally get what they were trying to do with it. I realize that people would want to go to the desktop (which you can start up in now) for a conventional desktop system, but touch capabiliity and mobile are both increasing rapidly, and 8.1 is pretty doggone sweet on such a system.

As for VS, I'm still using 2010 for almost everything. Partly this is because I'm working on something that makes use of XNA, and getting XNA going in 2012, while possible, is not seemless. Furthermore, I like the look of 2010 better than 2012 (I have yet to see 2013), and haven't found anything in 4.5 that I can't live without.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

Re: [RESOLVED] SetUp new PC problem

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    W8.1 is awesome. I'm running it on a Surface Pro 2, and I totally get what they were trying to do with it. I realize that people would want to go to the desktop (which you can start up in now) for a conventional desktop system, but touch capabiliity and mobile are both increasing rapidly, and 8.1 is pretty doggone sweet on such a system.

As for VS, I'm still using 2010 for almost everything. Partly this is because I'm working on something that makes use of XNA, and getting XNA going in 2012, while possible, is not seemless. Furthermore, I like the look of 2010 better than 2012 (I have yet to see 2013), and haven't found anything in 4.5 that I can't live without.
    Yeah, I was torn between 7 and 8.1. But 95% of my computer time is using my desktop tower. I have no need for touch screen and all of my clients use Win 7. I'm semi retired and most of my work is maintaining apps I've already written, though I'm in the process of updating a large VB6 to .Net.

To be honest I have a hard time finding things on 8.1 and I get flustrated with trying to get that tool pain on the right to pop up (I have 8.1 on a laptop). With practice I would probably get over these issues. Windows 9 should be out in 18 month, I'll just wait. Besides, that will give me a good reason to buy a new machine.