Thread: .Net 4.0 Required Additional Installer?

Hyperactive Member

Question .Net 4.0 Required Additional Installer?

Greetings..
    hope every active user on this forum are fine.

I am facing a problem; Let me tell in detail..

I just started working on vb.net (mainly I am vb6 coder). But as many suggest to upgrade to .net so do I.

At Betting I choose .net framework 2.0 and it has less issue for installer. Because .net framework 2.0 can install by it self on any os (tested on xp sp3).

But again suggested by expert to always use latest .net framework to get most out of it so, I started with .net framework 4.0

But now when I try to run the installer I faced following issue:

1. On windows xp sp3 32bit
    a) .net framework 4.0 can't install it required following 2 files
    b) Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1
    c) Microsoft Windows Imaging Component (WIC)

d) while after installing (MSW Installer 3.1) it ask to restart the pc.

so, I installed 3.1 x86 and wic and install the .net 4.0 then it run my main apps.

2. On windows7 sp1 64bit
    now I tried to setup 3.1 (windows installer x86) and it shows following massage:
    Code:
    This Update for Microsoft Windows (KB971513) is for a different hardware platform.
    so, I think it asking for x64 version of windows installer 3.1

so, I am getting so confused. how to make a perfect installer.

because there are many different type of os. like
    • a) XP 32bit
    • b) XP 64bit
    • c) Vista 32bit
    • d) Vista 64bit
    • e) 7 32 bit
    • f) 7 64 bit
    • g) 8 32 bit
    • h) 8 64 bit
    • I) 8.1 32 bit
    • j) 8.1 64 bit

to setup .net framework 4.0 perfectly on all os what should I do?

1. which windows installer should I use 3.1 or 4.5 (latest)
    a) if I use 4.5 instead of 3.1 will .net 4.0 install properly?
    b) which version to include wit installer 64 bit or 32 bit? I have 1 exe file for .net for x86 and x64 both but don't found same for windows installer?
    c) which OS need windows installer installed before .net framework to be only xp or what? (it's not possible for me to try on all os )

2. which wic should i use?
    a) 64 bit or 32bit?
    b) which OS need wic installed before .net framework to be only xp or what? (it's not possible for me to try on all os

is there any shortest way to make perfect installer that will shorten my hassle?

thanks in advance
    best regards

Hyperactive Member

Re: .Net 4.0 Required Additional Installer?

any help please?

Well first off, 4.0 is not the latest version. 4.5.2 is the latest version. While it is generally a good idea to go with the latest, I wouldn't really advise it in this case. I would suggest that you use .Net 3.5 instead. I consider this version to be the sweet spot if you will. You get the perfect balance of features and platform flexibility. 3.5 is distributed with Windows 7 and up and Windows Server 2008 R2 and up so you don't even have to install it on those OSes. When Windows 8 and higher becomes the most widely deployed Windows version then you can think about using 4.0 and up but Windows 7 remains the most popular version of Windows and you can save yourself a lot of installation headaches by targeting .Net Framework 3.5. 4.0 and higher adds a few niceties but nothing really groundbreaking so you can get on fine without it for now.

If you insist on using the latest version(nothing wrong with that) then I suggest you think about using the Setup templates in Visual Studio to create deployment packages for your apps. They usually work quite well. They are good at resolving dependencies.
    Last edited by Niya; Jul 17th, 2014 at 11:12 AM.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Hyperactive Member

First of all thanks a lot as you replied and also for your fast response

now:

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    Well first off, 4.0 is not the latest version. 4.5.2 is the latest version.
    yes sir, i knew that, but as far as i know 4.0> is not supported in windows xp. You may say windows xp is not supported by ms (Microsoft) either but still many people use xp (sp3 or so).

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    4.0 and higher adds a few niceties but nothing really groundbreaking so you can get on fine without it for now.
    sir, as i told i just get starting. But already i noticed few lacks on it for example 3.5 does not support LinkLabel tab stop property only 4 and 4+. (may be this one not a big issue but still)

so, i thought i could go with 4.0 as it support xp =>

so, would you please help me about my main issue ..

once again thanks a lot for your reply...

best regards
    take care
    may Allah bless you
    have a nice day
    bye bye

Quote Originally Posted by Shohag_ifas View Post
    sir, as i told i just get starting. But already i noticed few lacks on it for example 3.5 does not support LinkLabel tab stop property only 4 and 4+. (may be this one not a big issue but still)
    Say what ?
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber