Thread: Can somebody show an example of reading data from a USB device, via WinUsb?

Frenzied Member

Can somebody show an example of reading data from a USB device, via WinUsb?

I am writing a VB6 program that communicates with a device where the manufacturer only created a driver for Android, but not Windows. I've installed the WinUsb driver as the driver for this device in Windows. This gives me the ability to directly communicate with the device, via the use of the WinUsb API functions. I've already figured out the data packets being sent, based on some reverse engineering going on on another forum (eevblog), so I know what data to expect to receive from this device (and even what data the device expects the computer to send to it, during its "handshake", so as to initiate the stream of data from the external device to the computer).

However that other website where the hardware is being reverse engineered (for the ultimate purpose of being able to let Windows computers use the device) just has a bunch of people using Linux, and I need to implement the same things in Windows (using VB6). It seems that in the process of reverse engineering a piece of external hardware, people LOVE to use Linux as the OS from which they test the device to be reverse engineered. Fortunately, Windows has the WinUsb driver, which should make porting the Linux code to Windows a fairly straight forward task (or at least I hope it does). The problem though is that I don't know how to read and write raw data from the USB port using WinUsb. I know I CAN do it through WinUsb, but I don't know HOW to do it. Big difference between knowing I CAN, versus knowing HOW to, do something.

If anybody on this forum is intimately familiar with the usage of WinUsb, please help me out here.
    Last edited by Ben321; Jan 17th, 2017 at 10:02 PM.