Thread: Am I allowed to correct bad rendering myself ?

Question Am I allowed to correct bad rendering myself ?

Ever since this site has been changed to include the side panel, there have been a few bugs. One of which has to do with how pages are rendered when one or more posts contain images. Take this page for instance. It starts with a large picture and as a result I have to scroll to the right to see the whole picture. It also makes it incredibly annoying to add new posts since I have to scroll to see the "Post Quick Reply" button as well. The whole page is stretched beyond the right border of my browser window. I raised the issue a couple times after the side panel was added but it has since been ignored so I'm resolved to fix it myself using augmented browsing(Greasemonkey etc). What I want to know is, am I allowed to do this ? If I'm successful, I'd share the solution for the sake of anybody else having the same problem but I just want to be sure I'm not violating any terms or anything.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Re: Am I allowed to correct bad rendering myself ?

Posting how to change the layout to hide advertisements and other links would be a violation.

The issues with images is independent of the side rail. You can click on the "click to expand" text in the right rail to temporarily remove the right rail.

Quote Originally Posted by brad jones View Post
    Posting how to change the layout to hide advertisements and other links would be a violation.

The issues with images is independent of the side rail. You can click on the "click to expand" text in the right rail to temporarily remove the right rail.
    So what you're saying is that if my solution doesn't hide the ads and/or any links then its ok ? I'm thinking of using a script to resize the div blocks that contain the posts so they don't go past the right edge of my browser window.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

We might have to have a conversation about the pics you linked to... But I don't have to scroll at all when I view them.

I'm using 1920X1080 on a 21" flat screen.

I don't have to scroll to see those images, either, including the first one, and that's on a laptop, though a wide-format laptop.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    We might have to have a conversation about the pics you linked to... But I don't have to scroll at all when I view them.

I'm using 1920X1080 on a 21" flat screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    I don't have to scroll to see those images, either, including the first one, and that's on a laptop, though a wide-format laptop.
    You're right. At higher resolutions they don't outwidth the browser but I always use 1024x768 which was fine before the side panel was added.

Actually, we can iconize included images and do some other things to reduce the maximum width if that is a problem.

Of course, like the others said, on my notebook, I have no issue on the above page as far as needing to scroll - I don't have to.

What I do have an issue with is the images that are being included on that page. Those images really have nothing to do with technology and don't seem core to the discussion. While I like fantasy art, many of those images could easily be deemed as inappropriate as they objectify women. This is not the right forum for those images. Bottom line, it might not be the page width that is the problem, but rather the images that are being posted......
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------

What I do have an issue with is the images that are being included on that page. Those images really have nothing to do with technology and don't seem core to the discussion. While I like fantasy art, many of those images could easily be deemed as inappropriate as they objectify women. This is not the right forum for those images. Bottom line, it might not be the page width that is the problem, but rather the images that are being posted......
    The thread itself is not about technology. Its just an amusing thread where everyone is trying to get the most amount of posts. I posted quite a few such images and no one really complains about it. I'm careful not post any where the women are explicitly naked or otherwise NSFW. If anything, such images celebrate the beauty and grace of the feminine form which is why I like them so much.

Beauty is in the eyes of the Beerholder. Don't be surprised if they get removed.... Which will clue you into not posting pics like them in the future.

I know I've stayed out of the Post Race since those pictures were posted because I definitely see them as NSFW.

Just my $0.02.

The pictures are going away. They are not appropriate for this forum.

Brad.
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    You're right. At higher resolutions they don't outwidth the browser but I always use 1024x768 which was fine before the side panel was added.
    Do you sit in your rocking chair and yell at the kids to get off your lawn, too? I'll give you a quarter, go buy a real resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Do you sit in your rocking chair and yell at the kids to get off your lawn, too? I'll give you a quarter, go buy a real resolution.
    Actually I use this res as a developer. 1024x768 is the lowest common denominator if you will so if all the stuff fits then it would fit at all higher resolutions. I doubt anyone uses 800x600 anymore.

The pictures are going away. They are not appropriate for this forum.

Brad.
    Thank you. They are annoying.

Actually I use this res as a developer. 1024x768 is the lowest common denominator if you will so if all the stuff fits then it would fit at all higher resolutions. I doubt anyone uses 800x600 anymore.
    You're actually kind of wrong on this....

1280 is kind of a lowest resolution often used on web sites that are aimed at desktop browsers. 1024 had been the lowest. The reality on sites I run (developer sites) is that a majority have even higher resolutions. 1366 was kind of the low end for Windows 8; however, I'm seeing some machines drop down to 1280 now there too. 1280 is what I tend to use when looking at our sites as the measurement.

Where you are a bit wrong is the 800x600. This is a common Android resolution on tablets, and is also on a lot of phones. The world has gone mobile, so on the mobile front, this is a resolution that has to be considered as well. Regardless, people on mobile devices aren't going to want to be downloading a lot of images that don't fit the site focus.
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC

Where you are a bit wrong is the 800x600. This is a common Android resolution on tablets, and is also on a lot of phones. The world has gone mobile, so on the mobile front, this is a resolution that has to be considered as well. Regardless, people on mobile devices aren't going to want to be downloading a lot of images that don't fit the site focus.
    Well I've only dabbled in web development and I've never done anything that is meant to target tablets. I do strictly desktop development. For the moment I have no pressing reason to develop for anything other than the Windows Desktop so I only give serious consideration to the resolutions used on that platform.

You're right though, I see a lot of people using 1280 and most use the highest resolution their video adapter allows but that's alright. What I'm trying to avoid is creating UIs such that when someone changes their resolution, they appear cramped in the case of having anchored controls or controls being rendered beyond the UI's borders in the case of controls that aren't anchored. By building the UI for the lowest resolution I ensure that none of these things happen at any higher resolution.

At one point though I was toying around with the idea of resolution independent Forms. That is a Form that appears exactly the same regardless of resolution. I got limited success with it. There were nuances with more complicated UI layouts but I think this is the best way to deal with this but until I can perfect it, using the lowest resolution possible is going to have to do for now.

At one point though I was toying around with the idea of resolution independent Forms. That is a Form that appears exactly the same regardless of resolution.
    This is a part of what is currently called "responsive design". This is how forms and pages should be built. A form might not look exactly the same on different resolutions; however, the form should adjust so that it looks good regardless of resolution.

This is a part of what is currently called "responsive design". This is how forms and pages should be built. A form might not look exactly the same on different resolutions; however, the form should adjust so that it looks good regardless of resolution.
    This is surprisingly difficult to achieve using Windows Forms and nigh impossible using ThunderForms(VB6). This leads me to think that the future of UI design lies in technologies like HTML and XAML since these lend themselves quite well to responsive design.

This is surprisingly difficult to achieve using Windows Forms.....
    That's why Microsoft was pushing away from Windows Forms to XAML and WPF several years ago. Windows Forms is the old technology....
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC

It isn't possible for all forms using any technology.

I have a program that allows the user to zoom in and zoom out on a bunch of rectangles. Zooming is a principle that is generally thought to be simple to do and well understood, but what is actually simple and understood is geometric zooming. In my case, the distance between the rectangles is detrimental to the app if it gets above a certain size, and the rectangles have to retain their relationship to each other. In other words, the rectangles expand in size as you zoom in, but the distance between them remains the same. This non-geometric zooming isn't even close to easy. In geometric zooming, one point at level A maps to one point at level B for all allowed zoom levels. Furthermore, the relationship between A and B can be determined mathematically. In my non-geometric zooming problem, one point at level A maps to between one and four different, equally valid, points at zoom level B if B > A. On the other hand, if A > B, then there are points in A that map to NO point in B.

I tried a couple solutions for this. While there is no right answer, there are solutions that are more visually pleasing than others. This general problem exists for forms, and changing resolutions is effectively the same as zooming. As long as you are willing to use geometric zooming, you can get some kind of reasonable performance, but when geometric zooming isn't ideal, the alternatives might not be smooth under any system.