Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think about nicotine

Addicted Member

What do you think about nicotine

Hi, friends
    This thread is off topic but i could not find any room to sent it with. I am a heavy smoker and addicted with it and also programming algorithms. What do you think about smoking habituals. Are there any heavy smoker like me. i only just wonder how to treat our mistake of debugging me.....

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Re: What do you think about nicotine

Moved to Chit Chat where you can expect ill informed opinion, wild hyperbolae, bad puns and possibly some pictures.

I used to be a smoker and struggled for years to give up. When I finally managed it was incredibly easy. I just finished a pack of cigarettes one day and couldn't be bothered to buy another. I guess that means the secret to quitting is that your mind just has to be in the right place... but you don't get to put it in the right place... it's either there or it isn't.
    Last edited by FunkyDexter; Jul 7th, 2014 at 06:54 AM. Reason: You know when you use the wrong word and you know it's the wrong word but you can't think what the right word is...I did that
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

King of sapila

Not smoking but i used to drink a lot(and i mean a lot) but now i would drink only if i go to a club and in the mood.
    I take it it needs a lot of will to quit drink or smoking. I think i am "blesses" not to put high effort to quit something. I just stopped drinking a lot because i just "wanted to".
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

VB Forums Online Freedom Mode: Operational

Out of interest have you ever read the warnings on the packets or do you live in a country where they are missing?
    All men have an inherent right to life, the right to self determination including freedom from forced or compulsory labour, a right to hold opinions and the freedom of expression, and the right to a fair trial and freedom from torture. Be aware that these rights are universal and inalienable (cannot be given, taken or otherwise transferred or removed) although you do risk losing the aforementioned rights should you fail to uphold them e.g Charles Taylor; United Nations sources: http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/, http://www.ohchr.org/EN/Professional...ages/CCPR.aspx. Also Charles I was beheaded on the 30th of January of 1649 for trying to replace parliamentary democracy with an absolute monarchy, the same should happen to Dr Phil and Stephen Fry; source: http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...ute-Monarchism.

The plural of sun is stars you Catholic turkeys.

Addicted Member

Drinking is also another way of this addiction. According to suppression or enhancement layers. it was described in manuals of human para-sympathic or sympathi-cus anxiety of this addiction layers levels
    not advised technique but helping a little

King of sapila

Warnings like "smoking can increase your programming skills", "smoking can make your itch go away", "smoking can make your rotate in the air for 20 minutes per cigarette" etc.

Quote Originally Posted by algea View Post
    Hi, friends
    This thread is off topic but i could not find any room to sent it with. I am a heavy smoker and addicted with it and also programming algorithms. What do you think about smoking habituals. Are there any heavy smoker like me. i only just wonder how to treat our mistake of debugging me.....
    If you had any idea how bad you and everything around you smells from smoking that would help you quit.

edit:

I guess I should say that would probably help you quit. Maybe that isn't a factor in your decision tree
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

I'm a smoker that is working on getting my head straight. (again) Wanting to quit and and giving up on the excuses on why we smoke is the #1 step.

Then there's the part where for years I would say that if I could live to my dads age and be as good of shape that he is - I'd be fine. He is 27 years older and has never smoked... AND now he is in horrible shape with dementia. If I continue to smoke I now realize that I'll probably in much worse shape if I make to his age 86.

Addicted Member

i am thinking the same think with @Witis it is also related with country codes of culture about this suppression

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    I'm a smoker that is working on getting my head straight. (again) Wanting to quit and and giving up on the excuses on why we smoke is the #1 step.

Then there's the part where for years I would say that if I could live to my dads age and be as good of shape that he is - I'd be fine. He is 27 years older and has never smoked... AND now he is in horrible shape with dementia. If I continue to smoke I now realize that I'll probably in much worse shape if I make to his age 86.
    i have different ideas about demantia. If treated as well as nicotine can help us avoiding demantia. All drugs are poison if taken with scrutiny can help us to defeat this disease....

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

If you had any idea how bad you and everything around you smells from smoking that would help you quit.
    In the UK they've banned smoking in Pubs and Clubs. It's had the unfortunate effect of revealing just how bad everyone smells without smoking.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    In the UK they've banned smoking in Pubs and Clubs. It's had the unfortunate effect of revealing just how bad everyone smells without smoking.
    I'm an ex-smoker and I try not to act like a reformed prostitute but I can walk into an elevator and tell someone that smokes was in there before me. It really does stink up everything a smoker comes in contact with while smoking. I can appreciate the hold that habit gets on you and as someone else posted it really is a matter of just REALLY deciding to quit.

King of sapila

They did the same thing in Greece...But no one gives a "F" . Fortunately in the summer, most of the clubs are in the sea and not within walls so you won't smell. Also since they tax the hell out of cigars here it's a very expensive habit so more and more people cutting it down. I guess this i also a good way to quit smoking, be poor in Greece. Hell Yeah, go government!!!

I smell smokers passing by... Sometimes, I can pass by after some smoker has walked by, and it just makes my eyes water the smell is so strong. I have an overly sensitive olfactory to certain smells. Most days, I cannot walk down the laundry aisle at the store because of all of the perfumuy smells assault me, causing me to not be able to breathe. And yet, at other times, I couldn't even smell garlic crushed right under my nose. Go figure.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

I guess that means the secret to quitting is that your mind just has to be in the right place... but you don't get to put it in the right place... it's either there or it isn't.
    For me it was a matter of finding the proper incentive. She was a beautiful redhead who lived in my apartment building and politely refused every time I asked her out. Finally I asked her why. She said it was because I was a smoker. A week later I was done with tobacco forever. The biatch still wouldn't go out with me, but at least she provided enough incentive for me to quit "cold turkey."
    "Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. Pain is temporary. Glory is forever." - Robert Craig "Evel" Knievel
    “Leave me alone, I know what I’m doing.” - Kimi Raikkonen

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    I smell smokers passing by... Sometimes, I can pass by after some smoker has walked by, and it just makes my eyes water the smell is so strong. I have an overly sensitive olfactory to certain smells. Most days, I cannot walk down the laundry aisle at the store because of all of the perfumuy smells assault me, causing me to not be able to breathe. And yet, at other times, I couldn't even smell garlic crushed right under my nose. Go figure.

-tg
    i am thinking the same think of olfactory. If olfactory is suppressed you can be more logic

Quote Originally Posted by algea View Post
    i am thinking the same think of olfactory. If olfactory is suppressed you can be more logic
    Not sure why you'd think that... but okay.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by homer13j View Post
    For me it was a matter of finding the proper incentive. She was a beautiful redhead who lived in my apartment building and politely refused every time I asked her out. Finally I asked her why. She said it was because I was a smoker. A week later I was done with tobacco forever. The biatch still wouldn't go out with me, but at least she provided enough incentive for me to quit "cold turkey."
    i am at completely with this idea.....

I was walking down a road one day when a car passed me going in the other direction at somewhere around 40 mph. The windows were down, and there were two people in the car, a man and a woman, both fairly old. The smell of perfume almost knocked me into the ditch. Can you imagine how strong it must have been in that car if I got such a blast when they drove past at that speed?
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    I was walking down a road one day when a car passed me going in the other direction at somewhere around 40 mph. The windows were down, and there were two people in the car, a man and a woman, both fairly old. The smell of perfume almost knocked me into the ditch. Can you imagine how strong it must have been in that car if I got such a blast when they drove past at that speed?
    Are you sure it wasn't eco-friendly fuel you smelled?

Yeah, pretty much. It wasn't friendly in ANY way.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Yeah, pretty much. It wasn't friendly in ANY way.
    I could not agree more about those supposedly nice smelling toxic wastes. It is no fun for those of us who are sensitive to those industrial waste products. All I can say is that while cigarette smoke may not be the most pleasant smell, I have never had it cause my airways to to close, give me a massive migraine, or cause a skin rash like those supposedly safe fragrances.

So much for my rant and now some data for those inclined to investigate. I found Page 6 of the report very interesting and disturbing.

http://safecosmetics.org/downloads/N...rt_May2010.pdf

I started smoking when I was about 12/13 years old. When I was 15 I started smoking a pack a day. When I was 16 I was smoking 2 packs a day. Then I moved back down to 1 pack a day and stayed there. I'm now 22 years old and I've quit smoking about 2 years ago. A couple of benefits I've noticed:

1) I don't stink. And yes, you do stink if you smoke cigarettes
    2) I haven't gotten sick. I literally have not been to the doctor in a year, where as when I smoke I was in probably 2 - 4 times a year
    3) I'm no longer endangering my wife and I'm not endangering my new born child

Disadvantages
    1) I occasionally want to punch somebody or something very hard repeatedly
    2) I can't really do meticulous task without doing number 1 of the disadvantages
    3) I still dream about smoking. Almost once a week now but it was everyday for a while

My suggestion is to quit smoking, because like my daddy says "You don't know what you don't know." And unless you've started smoking within the past year, then you've forgotten how it is to not be a smoker.

If you want to quit smoking, the patch helped me. Chantix gave me bad(baaaaad) nausea and terrible nightmares(that seemed real). Just like everyone else has said, you're mind needs to be in the right place.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

I started smoking in basic training at age 18. Smokers got smoke breaks. Non-Smokers did not. Go figure.
    I smoked cigarettes, cigars, and pipes until I was about 33 I smoked about two to three packs a day.
    Never smoked in the house. I didn't want my kids (Toddlers then.) to think it was okay.

One winter I came down with double pneumonia. Flat on my back I couldn't breathe yet still I wanted a cigarette.
    That was the final straw. I quit cold turkey.

Best advice I got is to toss ALL smoking materials even matches.
    Then re-arrange the furniture. The theory goes that we develop rituals as we smoke. Flop in the same chair, Pop the beer, Grab your smokes off the same shelf, Etc... So it helps to have a different environment.

Seemed to work for me at any rate.
    Cigarettes still smelled good to me for two or three years. After that they lost all their charm.

The only other thing I can think of is to drink lots of fluids and do not under any circumstances substitute chewing tobacco.

Nasty gross stuff.

One gal I dated in my younger years once told me that she had to gear herself up to kiss a smoker.
    "Kinda like having to lick an ash tray." Was her comment.

I cannot imagine what she would have said about chewing.
    Last edited by Gruff; Jul 8th, 2014 at 04:43 PM.
    Burn the land and boil the sea
    You can't take the sky from me

~T

Then re-arrange the furniture. The theory goes that we develop rituals as we smoke. Flop in the same chair, Pop the beer, Grab your smokes off the same shelf, Etc... So it helps to have a different environment.
    That was my biggest issue whenever I was quitting.

I'd get in the car and light a cigarette.
    I'd finish eating and I'd light a cigarette.
    I'd finish doing the deed and I'd light a cigarette.

Often times, like driving my car, I'd light it and not even realize I was smoking.

I hear you. Ever light up a smoke and realize you already had one you lit thirty seconds before?

~T

Quote Originally Posted by Gruff View Post
    I hear you. Ever light up a smoke and realize you already had one you lit thirty seconds before?
    No...but I had a drinking problem that was a lot like that...

-tg

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    Perfectly natural. I haven't touched a cigarette since before you were even born and I still go through this almost daily.

3) I still dream about smoking. Almost once a week now but it was everyday for a while
    I still dream about smoking. At first I would curse myself for being so stupid as to start again, but now if I dream of smoking I automatically know I'm dreaming and that's when really cool things can happen...

And after more than 24 years I still enjoy the smell as long as it's not too overpowering. When my friends step out for a smoke I usually join them. Unless it's winter.
    "Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. Pain is temporary. Glory is forever." - Robert Craig "Evel" Knievel
    “Leave me alone, I know what I’m doing.” - Kimi Raikkonen

When my friends step out for a smoke I usually join them. Unless it's winter.
    I can't do it only because I know that I'd be to tempted to ask for one.

I can't do it only because I know that I'd be to tempted to ask for one.
    That's why I stay away from orgies, too.

When my friends step out for a smoke I usually join them.
    That's how I got started.
    Unless it's winter.
    That's why I quit.

-tg

Karen Payne MVP kareninstructor's Avatar

Disadvantages
    My students (teaching empty hand combatives) were warned one week ahead of time when I was quitting that they could pass the following weeks class as I would more likely than not be a tad bit agitated and that might lead to them being injured, no body showed up for two weeks. I did continue with MMA classes as they are into this.

Tobacco is just evil.

Quote Originally Posted by kevininstructor View Post
    My students (teaching empty hand combatives) were warned one week ahead of time when I was quitting that they could pass the following weeks class as I would more likely than not be a tad bit agitated and that might lead to them being injured, no body showed up for two weeks. I did continue with MMA classes as they are into this.

Tobacco is just evil.
    So what happened to the rest of the people in your world that weren't warned

Karen Payne MVP kareninstructor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    So what happened to the rest of the people in your world that weren't warned
    Well a few in my civilian class played a evil prank on me, was teaching a technique to create distance from an attacker and the one whom I was demonstrating the technique on for lack of a better explanation throw herself a great distance and blamed me for it that I was too hard on her. I believed her and was not informed it was a prank for several months later as she was afraid I might still be in withdraw.

Non-civilian classes are broken down into law enforcement, military, preppers (the ones I teach are border line) and MMA. Each has different levels of 'hurt', military and MMA generally seek out blood while the others are the complete opposite.

I still dream about smoking.
    Have you read the warning label? "Dream smoking can result in imaginary lung disease and hardening of virtual arteries."

~T

Addicted Member

it is better dying earlier avoiding giving something to your old mainboard....

Vaping, or e-cigarettes, are a good way to get the nicotine intake you desire, without the messiness of particulate inhalation. Many places treat it the same as cigarettes, or smoking, which demonstrates a complete lack of conscious thought.

The irony is when bars ban not only smoking, but eCigs...
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

I prefer being arund e-cigarettes to the real kind. They don't smell as bad. However, vaping does result in some kind of exhalation, and what is that? It's not that e-cigarettes are safe, it's more that we have no data at all.

I prefer being arund e-cigarettes to the real kind. They don't smell as bad. However, vaping does result in some kind of exhalation, and what is that? It's not that e-cigarettes are safe, it's more that we have no data at all.
    I agree %100 with this statement. I actually enjoy being around them because they smell flavorful. But I think at this point we don't know enough of the side effects where as with tobacco we have centuries of data to go off of.

I agree %100 with this statement. I actually enjoy being around them because they smell flavorful. But I think at this point we don't know enough of the side effects where as with tobacco we have centuries of data to go off of.
    If there are no harmful side effects from nicotine, would it still be banned - like cigarettes? Many are banning vapor inhalers simply because of the connection, and migration path from cigarettes to vapors. Once we remove the harmful side effects, should it be restricted, and to what extent?

While I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but isn't it unusual to not see extensive reports on the effects of nicotine on the human body (or even lab rats)? After all this time that we have associated nicotine with smoking, are we so stupid to not separate method of intake of a particular drug, and the drug itself?
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast