Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you think about nicotine

Re: What do you think about nicotine

In general, I agree with that. After all, we make some drugs legal and other drugs illegal. Nicotine, without the other things that come in cigarette smoke, is probably less harmful than alcohol (except that I believe alcohol in small quantities is beneficial, which may be a bid odd when you realize that I don't drink at all). What is known is that nicotine is quite addictive. For the people using the e-cigs, that doesn't bother me at all, because that's up to the e-cig smoker. What does concern me is that there IS an exhalation, and what is in that? Considering the economic consequences of smoking, I would say that if e-cigs are relatively benign to the smoker, then it is pretty much up to them, but if being around lots of second-hand e-smoke from e-xhaling, would create second-hand dependency in minors, that would be rather bad.

Whether or not this is valid I have no idea. I'd like to know the answer before saying that e-cigs should be acceptable everywhere. People who have wored at the agency I work at for a couple decades longer than I, tell stories about meetings when they started out where you had to sit towards the front if you wanted to be able to see the speaker through the haze of smoke. Very few in the agency smoke now, and it isn't allowed in any building. If we removed all restrictions on e-cigs, would the concentration of vapor regain the levels seen in those old days, and what does that do second hand?
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Good point about e-cig vapor - how much nicotine is in it, such that second hand vapor would present an addiction threat? Of course, one has to think about second hand breath...breathing in the air that the guy next to you on the bus just breathed out...
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

I worry more about exhalations of more thoroughly processed gasses.

Hmmm...

Is it black?

Its residue sure is!
    I am not a complete idiot. Some parts are still missing.
    Check out the rtf-help tutorial
    General VB Faq Thread
    Change is the only constant thing. I have not changed my signature in a long while and now it has started to stink!
    Get more power for your floppy disks. ; View honeybee's Elite Club:
    Use meaningfull thread titles. And add "[Resolved]" in the thread title when you have got a satisfactory response.
    And if that response was mine, please think about giving me a rep. I like to collect them!

From what I understand, the vapor from the ecigs is mostly water vapor...
    As for the nicotine... it's not the part of cigarettes that are the issue... it's the addictive part, but isn't the part that causes the damage... it was the tar and other carcinogens. So whether ecigs contain nicotine (which they probably do, otherwise what's the point, right?) who cares?

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Anyway there are a nicely cigarettes in Jamaica.

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Joacim Andersson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Witis View Post
    Out of interest have you ever read the warnings on the packets or do you live in a country where they are missing?
    Yes, on my current pack it reads "Smoking can cause a slow painful death", but I'm not in a hurry so why bother. Besides doesn't life cause a slow painful death regardless if you smoke or not?

I hear life is highly terminal anyways. As of yet, there is no cure either.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Well, the death rate is still one per person....

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    From what I understand, the vapor from the ecigs is mostly water vapor...
    As for the nicotine... it's not the part of cigarettes that are the issue... it's the addictive part, but isn't the part that causes the damage... it was the tar and other carcinogens. So whether ecigs contain nicotine (which they probably do, otherwise what's the point, right?) who cares?

-tg
    If it was 99% water vapor and 1% nicotine, it might be a lethal concentration. I haven't looked up the toxicity concentration for nicotine, so I don't quite know. The point is that "mostly" water vapor doesn't really matter. Almost every drug is mostly some kind of inactive ingredient.

What's nice about e-cigs is that the carcinogens have been removed, so second-hand smoke is less physically harmful. What may not be so nice is that the addictive drug is not removed, so the harm of second hand smoke may have shifted from directly physical to mostly economic. I doubt that one or two people sucking on their iPot around you will result in a contact high, but if e-cigs were unregulated and caused the old smoke filled rooms to become vap filled rooms, there could well be some unwanted side effects.

well hells bells man... then by all means, let's ban bananas too while we're at it... I mean, do you know just how much potassium is in those things? Eat enough of those and you can suffer from potassium poisoning.

"I'm sorry ma'am to inform you that Jimmy died." "What happened? Was he shot?" "No, I'm afraid not. He died from excessive banana consumption. He'd eaten enough until his stomach was full, followed by esophagus. Sadly it didn't end there. We also found banana crammed into his ears, up his nose, and even up his back side."

-tg

Sounds like Jimmy had some fetish for bananas.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Thank you Gwen Stefani for teaching me how to spell bananas.

I'm surprised that you didn't know a year earlier than bananaman.

well hells bells man... then by all means, let's ban bananas too while we're at it... I mean, do you know just how much potassium is in those things? Eat enough of those and you can suffer from potassium poisoning.

"I'm sorry ma'am to inform you that Jimmy died." "What happened? Was he shot?" "No, I'm afraid not. He died from excessive banana consumption. He'd eaten enough until his stomach was full, followed by esophagus. Sadly it didn't end there. We also found banana crammed into his ears, up his nose, and even up his back side."

-tg
    Water is more dangeroud than bananarama. I don't know that anybody has died from eating too many bananas, but people die every year from drinking too much water (not counting people who drown).

(not counting people who drown).
    Are they the overachievers?

Well, since they sank, I'd say they were underachievers.

Quote Originally Posted by SJWhiteley View Post
    ... but isn't it unusual to not see extensive reports on the effects of nicotine on the human body (or even lab rats)? After all this time that we have associated nicotine with smoking, are we so stupid to not separate method of intake of a particular drug, and the drug itself?
    I think your thoughts have some merit, However I've worked in bars and I can tell you that the ban on all smoking is more of a way to reduce the hassles of the bartender having to manage people as well as take care of his/her myriad duties. Especially when they are slammed.

If you allowed e-cigarettes then you would have to make certain those were the only types of smoking going on.
    It is just easier to say. "No smoking of any kind."

BTW Since I quit many years ago I have come to abhor the thoughtless 'Rude' smokers who blow smoke copiously everywhere including your face. I cannot imagine I would feel better if that vapor was coming from an e-cigarette or not.

Bottom line I think that there nothing beneficial about smoking of any kind other than to line the pockets of those who provide habit forming products.

The reason you don't see studies or reports on the affects of nicotine is that they are well understood and documented.
    Nicotine in raw form is three times as poisonous as Arsenic. The lethal dosage for a 150 pound adult is 60 mg.
    Last edited by Gruff; Jul 18th, 2014 at 03:29 PM.
    Burn the land and boil the sea
    You can't take the sky from me

~T

Name:  3325645489_1bc7d1e1f4.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  21.9 KB

Aren't we all addicted to something, though? Is there a difference between routine and addiction? While there are drugs that provide a drug induced (physical) addiction, if we are not addicted to one thing do we find an addiction to another, either physical or emotional/mental?
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

Quote Originally Posted by Gruff View Post

The reason you don't see studies or reports on the affects of nicotine is that they are well understood and documented.
    Nicotine in raw form is three times as poisonous as Arsenic. The lethal dosage for a 150 pound adult is 60 mg.
    yes, as a chemical, but in low doses, does it have other affects beyond the addictive and the 'mellowing' of the user? It comes down to extremes - just because the extreme is deadly, doesn't necessarily mean that the whole substance should be eliminated.

But it is true that the liquids are sold in small bottles which are very concentrated: drinking one of those bottles would be bad for ones health.

Something a friend once told me: Any thing in the right quantities will kill a large Russian Rat.

-tg

Suck on a pacifer. Probably just as calming, but with zero nicotine.
    Burn the land and boil the sea
    You can't take the sky from me

~T

Something a friend once told me: Any thing in the right quantities will kill a large Russian Rat.

-tg
    ...but not until sanctions have proved ineffective, I hope.

BB

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Aren't we all addicted to something, though?
    The thing with e-cigs though, is that you might run the risk of getting someone else addicted. Or you might not. We simply don't have the information to know yet. We really ought to do studies on that and legislate accordingly.

I'm generally of the "live and let live" persuasion so I hope the outcome would be that there is no second hand risk. I have no desire to stop people smoking e-cigs. But if there is a risk I want to know about it. And I'm damn sure I don't want to wait for the manufacturers to let me know because it took a few centuries for them to fess up to the damage that smoking bakkie does.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    The thing with e-cigs though, is that you might run the risk of getting someone else addicted. Or you might not. We simply don't have the information to know yet. We really ought to do studies on that and legislate accordingly.

I'm generally of the "live and let live" persuasion so I hope the outcome would be that there is no second hand risk. I have no desire to stop people smoking e-cigs. But if there is a risk I want to know about it. And I'm damn sure I don't want to wait for the manufacturers to let me know because it took a few centuries for them to fess up to the damage that smoking bakkie does.
    I doubt there is much, if any risk of that... if it was, it would certainly be a current risk of existing cigs... which, to my knowledge it isn't...

-tg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12