Thread: Printer advice

Lively Member

Printer advice

I require a printer to print just black and white. Could be printing up from 10-100 pages a day. A friend had a printer in the past that had a great long lasting cartridge could easily print 1500+ pages before running dry, but he forgot what brand it was. What I am printing is just labels 8 per page and some pages with more than half the page blank.

Hoping anyone might have some suggestions or experience with this sort of amount of printing. Also office-works or mass printing will be done bulk at the start of each month but the day to day printing must be done at the actual office when required.

Any help would be fantastic!

Re: Printer advice

I am confused as to what you are asking for. Are you asking for suggestions for a new printer or are you asking about ways to implement bw printing only on your current printer?

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by dclamp View Post
    I am confused as to what you are asking for. Are you asking for suggestions for a new printer or are you asking about ways to implement bw printing only on your current printer?
    Definitely suggestions, cause I will just buy bw ink cartridges.

Lively Member

Quality and all of there cartridges seem to do 2000+ pages

Will definitely look into Xerox!

Pretty much any printer that is not labeled as "home" or "home office" will print thousands of pages per cartridge. You have to realize with higher quality printers, the cartridge becomes more expensive as well.

Lively Member

Pretty much any printer that is not labeled as "home" or "home office" will print thousands of pages per cartridge. You have to realize with higher quality printers, the cartridge becomes more expensive as well.
    Yea that first printer has a cartridge for $114~ that is meant to print 5000 pages. That doesn't seem to bad and honestly with the amount of page coverage I will have could push for more. I am happy with that price but might check ebay and a few other places see if they have maybe bulk prices or better deals.

1. Whatever you choose, stay away from inkjet printers. Go with a monochrome laser printer instead.
    2. The most reliable printers I know are the old HP LaserJet 4xxx series. They are true work horses. At work, we still have a few of those 4050 and 4100 running flawlessly given that they are 10+ years old with over 1 million page count on them. You can get those fairly cheap on eBay but expect the shipping cost not to be cheap.
    3. For new printer, I prefer Brother brand for 3 reasons:
    - Decent quality
    - Affordable cost
    - Most importantly, Brother toner cartridges are cheap, especially if you buy re-manufactured ones. Additionally, the toner and the drum are 2 separate parts so you only have to replace the part the goes out and not the whole drum/toner assembly as HP's (most of the time, the drum outlasts the toner by 2x to 3x).
    Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.
    - Abraham Lincoln -

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by stanav View Post
    1. Whatever you choose, stay away from inkjet printers. Go with a monochrome laser printer instead.
    2. The most reliable printers I know are the old HP LaserJet 4xxx series. They are true work horses. At work, we still have a few of those 4050 and 4100 running flawlessly given that they are 10+ years old with over 1 million page count on them. You can get those fairly cheap on eBay but expect the shipping cost not to be cheap.
    3. For new printer, I prefer Brother brand for 3 reasons:
    - Decent quality
    - Affordable cost
    - Most importantly, Brother toner cartridges are cheap, especially if you buy re-manufactured ones. Additionally, the toner and the drum are 2 separate parts so you only have to replace the part the goes out and not the whole drum/toner assembly as HP's (most of the time, the drum outlasts the toner by 2x to 3x).
    Are inkjet printers a lot slower as well? Also are there any problems that could occur with using re-manufactured toner cartridges?

Main selling point for me will be cost cause I am only printing black and white and quality doesn't matter as long as its legible. So looks like its between Xerox, HP and Brother

Quote Originally Posted by sharpCode# View Post
    Are inkjet printers a lot slower as well? Also are there any problems that could occur with using re-manufactured toner cartridges?

Main selling point for me will be cost cause I am only printing black and white and quality doesn't matter as long as its legible. So looks like its between Xerox, HP and Brother
    For monochrome printing, laser printers produces way better prints than inkjet. If you don't need color then go with a monochrome laser printer. You should be able to get a decent workgroup monochrome laser printer for less than $250 and personal for less than $100 (new). If you go with the used HP LaserJet 4100 with < 50K page count, it's about $70 for the printer + $50 for shipping on eBay. I strongly advise to go with a used HP Laserjet 4100 printer. The maintenance period is 200K pages. A printer with < 50K can last you years until you need to put in a maintenance kit (about $300 which includes all the rollers + a new fuser unit). Toner cartridge for this printer is cheap too. A high capacity OEM cartridge (10K pages) is about $75. The same cartridge refurbished/remanufacturered is $25. On a side note, it's a 50/50 on remanufactured cartridges. From my experience, some will last all the way until it's out of toner while some will only go about half way then craps out. You'll know when it craps out by looking at the print quality (streaks, ghosting...). I personally own an HP 4050 at home for 8+ years (also bought it used on ebay) and haven't gone through the initial toner cartridge yet. I don't print a lot, just about 50 pages/month. If this was an inkjet, just imagine how many cartridges I would have to replaced by now because they get dried up.
    Inkjet are not necessarily slower than laser printers. There are inkjet models that claim to be able to print 30-40 page/min. But like I said, for black/white printing, it can't compete with laser printers, on both quality and cost.
    Last edited by stanav; Jul 3rd, 2014 at 02:55 PM.
    Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.
    - Abraham Lincoln -