Thread: [RESOLVED] Windows 7 - Visual Basic, IDE, File Menu, Save As, Not Giving Correct Name

PowerPoster

Resolved [RESOLVED] Windows 7 - Visual Basic, IDE, File Menu, Save As, Not Giving Correct Name

In the VB IDE when you want to save the project, you have the choice of either "Save" or "Save As"
    Under XP when you selected "Save As", the "File Name" text box was filled with the Project File Name.

Under Windows 7, the name is a few meaningless characters but does include the ".vbp" extention.

Anyone know of:
    1) A fix
    2) How to properly describe this for a fix search as so far have found nothing.

PowerPoster

Re: Windows 7 - Visual Basic, IDE, File Menu, Save As, Not Giving Correct Name

Can't say that I have saw this as I rarely do a save as on the project.

Not sure why it would be an issue anyway, clearly if you are doing a save as you want to change something else you would just hit save and be done with it.

PowerPoster

Found some info that corrected the "Save As" problem and maybe others I have NOT found yet.

If you go to you VB installation directory (normally under "Project Files") locate "VB6.exe" or "VB5.exe".
    1) Right Click "VB6.exe" or "VB5.exe" depending on which version you're using.
    2) Select "Properties"
    3) Select the "Compatibility Tab"
    4) Check the following checkboxes:
    ......(a) Run this program in compatibility mode for: [Windows XP (Service Pack 3)]
    ......(b) Disable visual themes
    ......(c) Disable desktop composition
    ......(d) Disable display scaling on high DPI settings

Worked for me!

Thanks for the info! I have experienced this problem before but did not know a workaround nor why it happens in the first place?
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

PowerPoster

Can't say I have ever seen this.

Choosing "Save Project as" never showed a Project name ever that I recall. Why would it? You save individual files, so typically the first one should be Form1.frm, etc. with the Project file last. That is prefilled as Project1.vbp unless you renamed the Project before saving (as you normally should).

I do not use any of the odd version lie appcompat shims nor would I want to. I use a manifest to require elevation, thus making the program "Vista aware" (i.e. not a legacy application to apply appcompat shims to willy-nilly). I also set the Disable desktop composition" shim since that can't be done in a manifest until Windows 8, and I never run at DPI settings above 96 DPI during VB6 development.

Those are pretty much what Microsoft recommended for all post-XP systems back when Vista came out and VB6 was the only Microsoft development tool officially approved. There wasn't any safe VS.Net version until VS 2005 SP1.

PowerPoster

dilettante:

In the past, if you opened a VBP or BAS file under Windows Explorer, "Save As" would contain the file name.
    With Win 7 I've had a lot of problems with even getting the "Save As" form to come up.
    The above seems to have resolved it.

I do not use any of the odd version lie appcompat shims nor would I want to. I use a manifest to require elevation, thus making the program "Vista aware" (i.e. not a legacy application to apply appcompat shims to willy-nilly). I also set the Disable desktop composition" shim since that can't be done in a manifest until Windows 8, and I never run at DPI settings above 96 DPI during VB6 development.
    Didn't really follow this. Got that you use a manifest to somehow target a specific (later) OS.
    Can you explain further and/or provide a simple example?
    Last edited by dw85745; Jun 27th, 2014 at 07:33 AM.

PowerPoster

There isn't any reason that I have ever heard of to "Run this program in compatibility mode for: [Windows XP (Service Pack 3)]" and I'm not sure what this is supposed to help with.

You can apply an application manifest to VB6 that causes it to require elevation and in the process be seen by Windows as "Vista aware" i.e. not legacy code.

This avoids a number of other attempts by Windows to try applying appcompat shims - filesystem and registry virtualization just to start with. You don't want any of those.

See GoingUp! for a small utility useful for doing this to VB6.exe. It will make a backup copy so you can't hurt anything. As suggested there, do not choose the Common Controls 6.0 option for VB6.exe when you run that utility.

A manifest on VB6.exe has no impact on the compiled programs it then creates. That isn't how application manifests work.

To see what things like "compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3" and so on do, you would look in the Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit utilities, which among other things spell out what compatibility shims are bundled in the various compatibility modes.

PowerPoster

I think when you set the compatibility to XP it checks the run as administrator box.
    I don't have mine set for compatibility mode, I just elevate it and it runs fine.

PowerPoster

You'd have to check via the ACT to see what Windows is doing to it on your system since you don't have a manifest to mark VB6.exe as Vista aware. There could be several shims being applied that alter its behavior post-XP.

You are in luck! I had the problem happen to me just then and I was able to take a screen shot.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.

gibra

Quote Originally Posted by dw85745 View Post
    In the VB IDE when you want to save the project, you have the choice of either "Save" or "Save As"
    Under XP when you selected "Save As", the "File Name" text box was filled with the Project File Name.

Under Windows 7, the name is a few meaningless characters but does include the ".vbp" extention.
    This behavior depends on the settings of the Resource Explorer.
    By default, the option which hide extension is set.

In any Resource Explorer windows:
    - Open the Tools menu (press ALT key if the menu is hidden)
    - Choose Folder options, select the View tab
    - Remove the check from item: Hide extensions for known file types
    - press Apply button

Quote Originally Posted by gibra View Post
    This behavior depends on the settings of the Resource Explorer.
    By default, the option which hide extension is set.
    How is that responsible for the above problem?

PowerPoster

Nightwalker83:

Did the "SaveAs" problem occur after my posted FIX?
    Mine so far has been working fine.

============
    Re: Dilettante use of a Manifest for this NOT sure what a manifest will do to solve an IDE problem?
    That said, my knowledge of using manifests is VERY limited at best.

Quote Originally Posted by dw85745 View Post
    Did the "SaveAs" problem occur after my posted FIX?
    Mine so far has been working fine.
    Not so far but I have only just applied it.

Lively Member

Re: [RESOLVED] Windows 7 - Visual Basic, IDE, File Menu, Save As, Not Giving Correct

Thanks to dw85745 for asking this question. I recently had to migrate my VB6 app to a new pc and for the last day or so I have been trying to do a simple save of forms. The save appears to work but when looking with Explorer, there was no update of the form file. An attempt to do a file SaveAs did not even bring up the dialog. This is beyond strange, it is assinine. I did a global search of my pc to see if it got put anywhere else but nothing. I finally did the Google search and ended up here. After applying the remedy from dw85745, the file save and SaveAs now work. To me, this problem is mind boggling that it even happens. Who in Redmond would even consider doing this to us!!!???
    One thing I will do now is to save dw85745's post that fixes the problem into the main form of my app so I hopefully won't stumble over it again.
    There is a computer disease that anybody who works with computers knows about. It's a very serious disease and it interferes completely with the work. The trouble with computers is that you 'play' with them!
    Richard P. Feynman