Thread: Hard drive failure

Hard drive failure

Hi,

I reckon my desktop main drive just failed on me. I tried repairing the installation because I thought that was the problem but to my surprise the letter for my system drive had because the letter for my backup drive and the backup drive had become the letter for me files drive. Now, luckily I have the files and backup stored on a seperate hard drive otherwise it would be a real mess. What I need to know is whether or not it is possible to retrieve files off a failed hard drive? I had the system set to backup everything today at about 14:00 hours but the failure occurred before the backup had time to complete.

Thanks,

Nightwalker
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Re: Hard drive failure

Well, it looks like I was a bit too fast in posting and that it wasn't actually complete hard drive failure but rather the bios (bios?) failing to recognize the drive. However, after several unsuccessful attempts at loading Windows it decided to load. I have no idea why besides hard drive failure the system would think there was no system drive in the computer even though the boot drive has not changed?
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.

If the Bios has difficulty recognizing your hard drive then there is a big possibility that it is already dying. Or hopefully the connections just loosened.
    Regards,

As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

Quote Originally Posted by dee-u View Post
    If the Bios has difficulty recognizing your hard drive then there is a big possibility that it is already dying. Or hopefully the connections just loosened.
    Although, since I am currently using my desktop at the moment I am hoping it is just the loose connection scenario.

Better back-up your files now that you are able to access it just to make sure.
    Regards,

As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

Is your mischievous HD an SSD by any chance NightWalker ?
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. -jmcilhinney

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    Is your mischievous HD an SSD by any chance NightWalker ?
    Not from what I remember.

Well what you've described happened to every SSD I've ever used. It starts with the BIOS not seeing the HD periodically then it stops seeing it at any time which I assume to mean its finally gone. I've seen traditional HDs do it as well though no where as often. SMART usually detects imminent failure of a traditional HD before it goes so you at least get a warning.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. -jmcilhinney