Thread: Programming Made Easy Tutorial Kit (Made in VB) -- Who wants to join?

Programming Made Easy Tutorial Kit (Made in VB) -- Who wants to join?

Hi.

Im building a program made in Visual Basic .NET, very simple layout, and there are 2 roles for this project.

If you know the VB .NET language well, your welcome to help with any coding aspects there are to it (and aside from a auto update function, there wont be much)

And then the main role... TEACHERS! Anyone who thinks they are knowledgeable about a topic or language, or even program are welcome to help out!

From Visual Basic .NET, Visual Studio C#, C++ general, Objective C, Java, Lua, any programming language

From programs like Game Maker, Python, Visual Basic, Visual Studio, Eclipse, Netbeans, any programming software, easy or hard

From topics like arrays, variables, loops, networking structures, any element of programming whatsoever, specific to a language, or general (for example, no matter what language you use, creating a variable is ALWAYS done the same way, you need to give it a name, you need to declare the type (int, String, double, char, etc), you may need to set it a value. Though in some programs like VB vs Java, it is declared differently. In VB its something like Dim name as String = "Bob", in Java, its something like String name = "Bob"; )

If your interested to help with the production as a teacher, of any aspect of programming, and you got a microphone, and a video recording software, your welcome to join me. I am knowledgeable in most languages and common software of programming, and game development -- im actually a programmer myself, its a side project so...

Anyway, contact me, and we will get some stuff happening:

Email: Ask for it in comments

Or respond to this post with any questions -- We will issue this out for free on some sites, ill put it on mine, you can put it on yours, freely distribute it, and we will work on the promotion later, that parts easy (im good at marketing and selling/promotion, etc), any questions, just ask me. We will collaborate throughout the entire process, see whos covering what topics, see each persons teaching style, to see what would be better for teaching certain topics (I know some really good teachers that can teach certain subjects awesomely, but just CANNOT learn on some subjects from them) -- Its the teacher, not the student.

Also, take a minute and introduce yourself -- Your name, what languages/programs you know, maybe how many years of experience you have, your age if your cool with posting that, and maybe if you have taught or made some programs before.

Ill start.

Im Dibbie, a game developer, and general programmer, I know Java, the C family, and some smaller languages/programs like Lua, and some softwares like Blender -- in total, I have been coding for about 4 years? Now, im 17, started when I was about 9, but never did anything serious or made anything useful till about 14, I love coding, and making stuff, and innovating. I have taught a total of maybe 4 or 5 people with programming, and really got them to understand the basic concepts of Java, and C, C++, and VB.NET, they took off, and learned it quick. Some of them say im a really good teacher, my teachings make the language make sense, and they learn it so fast. I recently taught a new programmer (who started out with literally knowing ZERO knowledge on programming, I mean he didnt even know what a "value" was, like super basic stuff, no idea...), taught him basically the core stuff of programming -- statements, variables, declarations, a few general terms, debugging, code organization, classes, etc etc... In about 3 days total, so I got some decent experience.

Thanks for everyones time, regardless if your interested or not, I appreciate you taking the time to read this. Hope to speak with the community soon.
    Last edited by Dibbie; Jun 13th, 2014 at 10:08 AM.

Re: Programming Made Easy Tutorial Kit (Made in VB) -- Who wants to join?

What I forgot to mention is that is coded in Visual Basic 2010 Express by the way.

This is not a VB.net related help question. Il ask the mods to move it.

Might I suggest you remove your email... web crawleres will pick that up and you'll start getting a ton of crap email at it...

if people want to get in contact, they can reply here, or leave you a PM.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Why is this a program? It sounds like a web site project rather than a program.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Thanks ident and techgnome, ill do that.

Shaggy:
    I decided to make it a program, that way people always have it on their computer, and can learn at their own pace, without having to try to remember a website to save a site or anything, its just a little more convenient, and I very much enjoy developing stuff.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Hi Dibbie,

I've moved this to the project communication area because that seemed to be about the best fit for it.

It sounds like a worthy project so I wish the best of luck with it. We've got some members who I would imagine would be great at the teaching side. They've certainly taught me a thing or two over the years.

Regards
    FD
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

(for example, no matter what language you use, creating a variable is ALWAYS done the same way, you need to give it a name, you need to declare the type (int, String, double, char, etc)
    I'd like to point out that Lua is a dynamically typed language, this means that you do not specify the data type. The compiler does it for you whenever you set the value of the variable. IE -
    Code:
    -- This sets a string variable b/c the value is enclosed in double quotes
    fooString = "foo"
    -- This sets a blank array b/c the value is the curly brackets with no values in them
    fooArray = {}
    By the way, I'd love to give some input. My bread and butter is VB.Net, but I've been using a lot of Lua lately.

Edit - In fact I've literally just created a Lua tutorial here on vbforums: http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...-Lua&p=4699157
    Last edited by dday9; Jun 13th, 2014 at 10:47 AM.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    I'd like to point out that Lua is a dynamically typed language, this means that you do not specify the data type. The compiler does it for you whenever you set the value of the variable.
    Also, in statically typed functional languages, much of the typing is inferred, so again you don't specify the data-type. (This is also done to a certain extent in VB and C# and possibly other non-primarily-functional statically typed languages)

Evil, right, I code like that sometimes in VB, if im too lazy, I just say something like dim myInt = 0 let VB figure it out lol, but properly, I would do the full dim myInt as integer = 0.

Dday, the logic is still the same, you or the program will have to declare that datatype at some point, but I do agree with both of your points, not all languages require (if any) you to actually have to specify it, you can always write it in a way where the program will do it, but sometimes could create problems at runtime, with wrong datatypes and what not

But hey, if you want to help out, your welcome to!
    Thanks to both of you for your comment

Also, thanks Funky for moving it to the right location.

Why do you say that avoiding inference is doing it "properly"? There are also some instances where it is unavoidable. You do realise there is a difference between type inference and dynamic typing, right?

Cause Evil, thats how I was taught to code, by every teacher, its "proper" to always declare the variable with the name and datatype, and set a initial value.
    To me, that seems like it makes sense, theres so many different variable types, if you never specify, at any point in time, I dont see how the compiler just KNOWS based on your content, id rather not have it guess, case its wrong, is all im saying, but sometimes im too lazy to, and let it guess.

I never heard of any of those terms, I just know how to code, but im sure theres a huge difference -- taking a guess, ones coding "proper" in my eyes, and other is "lazy", right?

No, I think you're missing the point. In languages that are dynamically typed like Lua, you do not declare the data type. Period. There is no boolean, string, or integer(number) keywords at all.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

I see, alright

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Why do you say that avoiding inference is doing it "properly"?
    Just my two pennarth but I've always thought that people should start by being taught that type inference is bad. Let's face it, there aren't that many scenarios a beginner would face where it's required and strong typing does help instill some good habits up front.

Only once a beginner has developed those good habits should they start to learn just how useful inference can be because, by then, they also understand the risks.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Just my two pennarth but I've always thought that people should start by being taught that type inference is bad
    Hmm, i would agree if they start by learning a desktop language, but there are A LOT of web languages (Ruby, Python, JavaScript for instance) that are dynamically typed.

In fact i know quite a few ASP.Net developers that increasingly like to use
    Code:
    var foo
    rather than
    Code:
    object foo
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Dynamic typing is not the same thing as inferred typing. Don't get them confused.