Thread: Migrate website(s) from IIS 6.0 to IIS 8.0

Migrate website(s) from IIS 6.0 to IIS 8.0

I have a customer with an existing website in IIS 6.0 and I need to create it on IIS 8.0. I used the Web Deployment Tool to get started. I have a list of dependencies (from msdeploy getDependencies) and there are app pools I need to set up in IIS on the new server. But IIS 8.0 wants to know the .NET CLR version and the Managed pipeline mode. Is it possible to map these back to the original site to figure out what the values are?
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Re: Migrate website(s) from IIS 6.0 to IIS 8.0

I am pretty sure the AppPool the site being migrated needed is one called Net20 and I created that.

A simple question I have is with two websites that are the same except one is IIS 6 and one is IIS 8, how do I know which one I am running? That is, how do I differentiate them?
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

King of sapila

Is there some special requirements for the site(restrict posts or gets, filters)?
    If not, i have migrated sites from II6 to 7.5 (haven't looked really close to IIS8 since i had it in my previous job in the W8 PC but i left from there) without much trouble. What is the exact issue you are having that make the site not working?
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Thanks for the reply. I have had so many issues - dup entries in web.config with some other config that I didn't know where it was picking another one up from but since it had dups I deleted mine, and other error messages that I googled and "fixed" according to what other people had done with the same problem. The issue I came into work to deal with this morning is that when I run the site now I get nothing - no error message that gives me any information I can look up. So I think I just need to step back a bit, and I'll post how it's going in an hour or two.

IIS definitely now has config entries that are now part of the application config - and can no longer be in the web.config. Things like the maxjsonlength and a whole bunch of jsonSerialization stuff...

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

So I should be able to follow the instructions here and viola? I started from scratch with no Sites defined in IIS (except the default) and followed steps 1-12 in Use the UI. I have a site called Dashboard and it maps to physical path e:\websites\dashboard where all my files are. If I browse to it, I get the Welcome page. Only the IP is displayed in the URL. If I add /dashboard I get 404 not found that the resource has been removed, blah blah blah. At this simplest level, I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I just noticed that it resolved my Physical Path to e:\websites\dashboard\dashboard, so of course it's not found.

If the url consists only of the ip address, I get the Welcome page. And if I add \Dashboard to the ip address, I get the error above - how do I get it to resolve to just e:\websites\dashboard?

I changed the physical path to just e:\websites and not I am at least getting a Configuration Error. Will work on that...

My error is: "...This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS."

What does this mean? "The IIS MMC has an application configuration section where you can set the folder as an Application root in the IIS MMC. "

King of sapila

Probably because IIS8 sucks like everything in W8. Muharahaaarrr...
    Sorry about that. I cannot help if there is specific IIS8 issue. You can also try to look at your Event Viewer if you don't get full descriptions.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

That link you had in post #6 is for IIS 7 and is from 2009 - that's a bit old.

I have IIS 8 running on my Surface 2 Pro - and I just simply changed the DEFAULT WEB SITE to point to my UPPER MOST folder. Other then those WEB.CONFIG setting differences it works fine.

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Yes, regarding the oldness of that post - pretty much everything I've found says iis 7.0 and 8.0 are equivalent, but thanks for pointing out that it may not apply.

So I set "Default Web Site" to be e:\websites and my folder underneath - Dashboard - displayed in the tree. So I r-clicked on it. Since I don't know the difference between Convert to Application or Add Virtual Directory, I went here, but regardless of which choice I make, when I try to browse the site I have a configuration error and it says It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.

So do I create the virtual directory then convert it to application?

That is what I did (create virtual directory, convert to application), then I was getting the error: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. I renamed the lower level web.config to Web - Duplicate.config (lower level is \Dashboard and root is E:\WebSites) and am running with the root's web.config.

It is now complaining about the 1st line in my default.aspx, Inherits =x. It says Could not load type x.

I've never had problems with IIS like you are having. All I did on my Surface was "change" the folder path for the DEFAULT WEB SITE and all was good. No other changes at all.

Can you reinstall IIS to get back to a clean state?

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Perhaps (would have to wait for my boss to get in to see if that's okay - it is a client's server), but first a question - if the site in IIS 6 used the 2.0 framework, can (must?) the site in IIS 8 use 2.0 also? Or does the app have to rebuilt to use 4.0? I believe that last error is because in IIS 6.0 the asp.net tab says 2.0.50727, and in IIS 8.0 when I run the site I get in IE after the error information: Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.34009. Can I change this somewhere? It is using an app pool that's set to .NET CLR Version v2.0.50727 so I thought that would make everybody happy.

I'm not sure on that question. And I thought it was a local test box when I suggested a re-install of IIS.

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Boss came in, said forget it. The client has a hardware company, so we are going to tell them to move everything to the new server.

I am working on two of their other websites though, so I'll basically be doing the same thing. The boss seems to think those will go better; we'll see.