Thread: Publishing an application

Lively Member

Publishing an application

Hello!

I am soon getting done with the first version of my application, and I want to publish it. However I have some questions regarding the publish feature in Visual Studio 2012. The reasons why I want to publish my application is to use the Update feature, so my users can check if there is any updates. However I need someone that can explain to me how this works.

I have a website where I want to put the installation files. Users will go to the website, and if they feel interested in my application they can choose to Download the setup. In order to do this, I should write the "Publish Folder Location" as my website directory where I've put the installation files right?

Secondly, when I want to update the application, I just change whatever I want in the project and then press "Publish Now", which will automaticly publish upload my new installation files and inform all the users that an update is available right?

Do I need to sign the application with some sort of certificate in order to prevent others from publishing my application? How do I create a certificate file? What happens if I don't use a certificate file?

By the way, I'll need to give the FTP user and password to Visual Studio right?

Thanks in before!

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Re: Publishing an application

Moved to Application Deployment. You should get better answers here.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Lively Member

Re: Publishing an application

Hello!

I've read a bit more about the subject. Yesterday I bought a web hosting based on IIS. Now I want to deploy my desktop application to this website, so people can download the setup from the website. I try to publish it in Visual Studio, but I get an error:

Failed to connect to 'My Website Url' with the following error: Unable to create the Web site 'My Website Url'. The components for communicating with FrontPage Server Extensions are not installed.