Thread: How to open with dopbox?

Resolved How to open with dopbox?

may i ask how to open with doxbox?
    should i first install a editor then open with doxbox?
    i just want to edit the bas from dos editor, i am using a vm fusion plus a dos platform with gwbasic and ms dos editor install on it.

i try to simply open the bas file with that dos editor or even try to open the file from qbasic, ( the same system also has qbasic editor) but both only display strange character instead of the program .

Sinecure devotee

Re: [RESOLVED] a little help with some old .BAS file

If you had a new question, you should have started a new thread, and referenced this thread in your question rather than "grave-dig" an old thread. neither should you hi-jack a thread for you own question.

The older Basic Interpreters had a tokenized format they could store the file in, which was more compact, quicker to read and run.
    But they also had the option to save the program as ASCII text, so you could use an external editor to edit the file.
    If you want to use a DOS editor, and the file is not already in ASCII, you will need to load it in the correct BASIC interpreter which should then be readable, and save the file in ASCII format.
    I assume if you're dealing with a GW-BASIC file, qbasic can't read it because it is store in the GW-BASIC binary format, i.e.
    save "filename.bas"
    will save the file in the default binary format.
    Load the file into GW-BASIC, then type
    save "filename.bas",a
    The ",a" will indicate you want to save the file in ASCII format, but you will have to find a copy of GW-BASIC. I don't know if BASICA was compatible with GW-BASIC's binary format, as an alternative.
    Last edited by passel; Jun 8th, 2014 at 10:53 PM.

Re: How to open with dopbox?

Posts split off to new separate thread from this thread - http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?724299

VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6