Thread: This forum has one flaw.

This forum has one flaw.

The forum is missing a section on computer security. In addition, it wouldn't hurt to have a section for computer law.

Security & Forensics:
    The section could cover tools like metasploit, splunk, wireshark, fireye, and others. In addition, people could post security questions about their code, or they could post advice about security problems that arise in code. For example, people should use prepared statements when they are dealing with user input and sql statements. User input should never be inserted into a sql statement. Doing so opens up the database to SQL injection attacks.

Computer and Internet Law
    I took an upper level class on computer and internet law. There exists quite a few legal issues in our field that people should keep up with. But I don't know how much interest it would have here. Who else is waiting to see the outcome of Alice v. CLS Bank?
    Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught. - Oscar Wilde

Re: This forum has one flaw.

Considering this forum doesnt have a high amount of inquiries in those fields, it doesnt seem like it would justify the need to have one. You could easily fit those into more general forums like General PC, General Developer, Database Design, etc.
    My usual boring signature: Something

Quote Originally Posted by dclamp View Post
    Considering this forum doesnt have a high amount of inquiries in those fields, it doesnt seem like it would justify the need to have one. You could easily fit those into more general forums like General PC, General Developer, Database Design, etc.
    Security needs to be encouraged because people who write insecure code can affect us all. And it's a very large topic with many components. I could see that forum taking off.

Companies and governments alike are starting to acknowledge that computer security is a real big problem. In a basic nutshell, there is going to be more security jobs in our future.
    Last edited by Maven; Jun 10th, 2014 at 01:59 AM.
    Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught. - Oscar Wilde

Perhaps you should bring this up in the Forum Feedback section. Have Brad give his input.
    My usual boring signature: Something

I certainly think that it's an interesting topic, but I'm not sure that it would gain all that much traction. After all, the bulk of posts seem to be from students, which might not have much of a following in security. On the other hand, it might be about as active as General Developer, which wouldn't be too bad.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    I certainly think that it's an interesting topic, but I'm not sure that it would gain all that much traction.
    While I agree that the topics are interesting and critical, Shaggy sums it up. I'm not sure how much traffic it would drive. If this is something that will only drive a few threads, then we are better to place the discussions within an existing forum.

I suggest that a few discussions be started in General PC or the current, existing most relevant forum and lets see what traction happens. If it can be shown that people will discuss these topics, then we'll see about rolling them into their own area.

In the mean time.... Mavin - if you feel these need more coverage, I'd be willing to commission a couple of articles to be posted on Developer.com on topics within these areas. If you are qualified to write on these topics or have a person that is qualified, then send me a title and short description of the articles you would like to create and we can go from there!

Brad!
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by brad jones View Post
    While I agree that the topics are interesting and critical, Shaggy sums it up. I'm not sure how much traffic it would drive. If this is something that will only drive a few threads, then we are better to place the discussions within an existing forum.

I suggest that a few discussions be started in General PC or the current, existing most relevant forum and lets see what traction happens. If it can be shown that people will discuss these topics, then we'll see about rolling them into their own area.

In the mean time.... Mavin - if you feel these need more coverage, I'd be willing to commission a couple of articles to be posted on Developer.com on topics within these areas. If you are qualified to write on these topics or have a person that is qualified, then send me a title and short description of the articles you would like to create and we can go from there!

Brad!
    I sent you a PM.

But yes, I think the issue is becoming increasingly important to address. Maybe writing some articles would be a good way to introduce security concepts to the community. At any rate, we are in a situation today where security holes are opening much faster than computer scientists can close them. And all of this comes at a time when very sophisticated hacking teams are operating internationally.

There are problems with both of these issues:

Computer law - there are very few lawyers who would post; everyone will basically refer you to a lawyer, even where the situation (e.g. reading an EULA) is clear as day. We could discuss it until we are blue in the face. General developer forum would be a good place for the rare law discussion, that is productive.

Security - who is going to discuss 'how' viruses work? You cannot have a reasonable discussion about computer security with disseminating the specifics of how malware, viruses, etc. do their job (sic). I'd love to see the specifics of certain viruses, so that combatting them can be more effective - we have all seen the 'dive by' warnings, but I'm mystified how these viruses actually work, since 'code execution' is the only way a virus can work. The Stuxnet details are quite fascinating in it's dissection as it directly affected some of the work I do.
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

Quote Originally Posted by SJWhiteley View Post
    There are problems with both of these issues:

Computer law - there are very few lawyers who would post; everyone will basically refer you to a lawyer, even where the situation (e.g. reading an EULA) is clear as day. We could discuss it until we are blue in the face. General developer forum would be a good place for the rare law discussion, that is productive.

Security - who is going to discuss 'how' viruses work? You cannot have a reasonable discussion about computer security with disseminating the specifics of how malware, viruses, etc. do their job (sic). I'd love to see the specifics of certain viruses, so that combatting them can be more effective - we have all seen the 'dive by' warnings, but I'm mystified how these viruses actually work, since 'code execution' is the only way a virus can work. The Stuxnet details are quite fascinating in it's dissection as it directly affected some of the work I do.
    A lot of computer scientists take an elective in computer law. There is a difference between legal advice and knowledge of what is taking place in law. For example, Alice v. CLS Bank is an important case to watch; however, if you get sued for patent infringement, consult a lawyer. Law would be a good little sub topic like world events. What happens in law can have huge consequences for programmers in general.

Security is a very broad topic, and it's not limited to virus files. At any rate, why can't one have a discussion about them? I could write an article on a step by step demonstration of the aurora hack that drove Google out of China. The main problem with these kinds of articles is all of the setup required. You need to have virtual machines with many different operating systems. For example with Aurora, one would need an unpatched XP running on a virtual machine. College students could probably get everything they need through dreamspark, but I'm not sure about everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    I could write an article on a step by step demonstration of the aurora hack that drove Google out of China. The main problem with these kinds of articles is all of the setup required. You need to have virtual machines with many different operating systems. For example with Aurora, one would need an unpatched XP running on a virtual machine. College students could probably get everything they need through dreamspark, but I'm not sure about everyone else.
    I am listening...

I am listening...
    I'll make a post on it in general developer.

Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    I'll make a post on it in general developer.
    Ya, I'll be reading that one, too.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Ya, I'll be reading that one, too.
    http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...-hacking-works

Thanks. I am going to read it now.

Is it just me... or is the link broken

Is it just me... or is the link broken
    I was going to say it was just you but sadly that is not the case! [Computer Security] Demonstration of the aurora hack: how hacking works. is the thread in question.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------

I ended up visiting the other forum and found it.