Thread: Alice v. CLS Bank

Alice v. CLS Bank

Any of you guys waiting to see what the supreme court decides?

I really hope they narrow down software patents. They are way too strong ATM.
    Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught. - Oscar Wilde

Re: Alice v. CLS Bank

I don't actually know what case you're referring to but I would agree that software patents have been too broad. If similar rules had been applied to cars then I think that Ford would be the only company producing cars with four wheels.

Alice Corp. v. CLS Bank International, a legal case about software patents that the United States Supreme Court will hear in 2014, presents the issue whether certain claims about a computer-implemented, electronic escrow service for facilitating financial transactions concern abstract ideas ineligible for patent protection.[1] It is the first Supreme Court case on the patentability of software since Gottschalk v. Benson in 1972.[2] This case could establish a test of patent-eligibility that clarifies under what circumstances one may patent software or can be found to be infringing on a software patent.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_C..._International

Really, as already noted, software patents are overly broad. Patently so, I would say...

The central issue is that a lot of these concepts have already been 'discovered', and even implemented, but technology, such as high speed connectivity, wasn't available to realize the invention.
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."