Thread: What Boards have you used?

What Boards have you used?

I'm curious as to what boards people have played with. List what you've played with and what you've liked -- or not liked -- about each. What projects have you done?

I've used a standard Arduino Uno. I'm just getting started, so I've only done the basics including messing with LEDs and timings.

I'm looking forward to getting more complex projects going soon!
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Re: What Boards have you used?

I currently have a Raspberry Pi, 2 Arduino Unos, and an Arduino Mega. I have played a lot with the Arduino and love it. I haven't really gotten into Raspberry Pi, although it has significantly more processing power than an Arduino.

Most of my projects with Arduino have been geared toward home automation. I am about to put my garage door controller back online and will post about it when I work on that (Probably tonight)
    My usual boring signature: Something

Quote Originally Posted by dclamp View Post
    I currently have a Raspberry Pi
    Is the PI worth buying? I picked up a little book from the news agent showing how to use a code for it.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

I haven't gotten into it very much other than installing Debian on it and playing with it a little. But it has GPIO for low level output and sensors.

The logic side of my arduino home automation project is a AMP stack (currently WAMP) and I think I might use the Arduino as the PHP server for it.

For $35 its not bad.

type Woss is new Grumpy; wossname's Avatar

I've used a bunch of different boards, including arduinos, RasPi, Beaglebone Black, and find them all to be a bit of a pain in the proverbial. I prefer to build the circuit from scratch, it's more fun and you learn more that way.

I strongly recommend everyone look into the Parallax Propeller microcontroller. The chip itself is $8 or so but it's insanely powerful. 8 CPU cores all running at 20MIPS in parallel. It even has VGA (PAL or NTSC) output! Can be programmed in C (GCC compiler), native assembly, Forth, or even it's baked-in "Spin" interpreted language. There's a whole load of different dev boards for it if you don't want to build your own.

The Propeller (P8X32A) is my favourite microcontroller and has incredible potential for hobbist and pro use.

And no, I don't work for Parallax I just love the chip.

On a side note, check out this I saw the other day on thar intarwebz... https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/v...uter-with-wifi

That's got to be pretty awesome for home automation. I bought one anyway
    I don't live here any more.

I saw that board the other day as well. I think I will have to order one to see how well it works.

Although I like arduino because its easy to use with shields. One of my arduino projects was an LED lightbar controller (warning lights for my truck back window). I created patterns for the lights and a make shift remote controller. I think created my own PCB design based on the barebone ardruino design + what I had on my breadboard.

I could have chosen a smaller processor and made it smaller i suppose...

*Researching Propeller board*

I have a Netduino.

It is nice to be able to program .NET into one of these devices. However, it is non-deterministic, of course, which is a shame. I'd like to piggyback a high-speed data acquisition board onto it width buffered storage, and use .NET in the Netduino to perform analysis and summary to transmit of TCP/IP or UDP.

It's a project that keeps being pushed down the list, though.
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

Quote Originally Posted by SJWhiteley View Post
    I have a Netduino.

It is nice to be able to program .NET into one of these devices. However, it is non-deterministic, of course, which is a shame. I'd like to piggyback a high-speed data acquisition board onto it width buffered storage, and use .NET in the Netduino to perform analysis and summary to transmit of TCP/IP or UDP.

It's a project that keeps being pushed down the list, though.
    Just read up on the Netduino, it looks like something I need to buy and play with a little. I started learning C# this week (surprising how similar it is to PHP). I will use my new learned C# skills with this Netduino.

LA, Calif. Raiders #1 AKA:Gangsta Yodaâ„¢

Ive used the Arduino board as well an off brand one that slips my mind right now that interfaced with simple arcade game interfaces.

Looking to get back into this as I have a great project that I need to do and have finished in the next couple months.

VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda™ ®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    • Reps & Rating Posts • VS.NET on Vista • Multiple .NET Framework Versions • Office Primary Interop Assemblies • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NET • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6 • VB.NET Attributes Ex. • Outlook Global Address List • API Viewer utility • .NET API Viewer Utility •
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

LA, Calif. Raiders #1 AKA:Gangsta Yodaâ„¢

Found them: Advantech 4373 and a Phidgets boards I have also worked with.
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda™ ®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    • Reps & Rating Posts • VS.NET on Vista • Multiple .NET Framework Versions • Office Primary Interop Assemblies • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NET • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6 • VB.NET Attributes Ex. • Outlook Global Address List • API Viewer utility • .NET API Viewer Utility •
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Quote Originally Posted by brad jones View Post
    I'm curious as to what boards people have played with. List what you've played with and what you've liked -- or not liked -- about each. What projects have you done?

I've used a standard Arduino Uno. I'm just getting started, so I've only done the basics including messing with LEDs and timings.

I'm looking forward to getting more complex projects going soon!
    I've done some bare metal programming on the raspberry pi in ARM. IE: no OS.

But that's about it.
    Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught. - Oscar Wilde

type Woss is new Grumpy; wossname's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dclamp View Post
    Just read up on the Netduino, it looks like something I need to buy and play with a little. I started learning C# this week (surprising how similar it is to PHP). I will use my new learned C# skills with this Netduino.
    Prepare for disappointment then.

When you put a bloated API library on a small microcontroller with low resources you'll have precious little space left for your own code. Also the micro .net framework (or whatever they are calling it this week) is non-deterministic in time and/or execution order if there are multiple threads/processes running.

You're better off with straight C or assembler and programming the chip directly. That way you get 100% control over everything the chip does 100% of the time.
    I don't live here any more.

ive used the Arduino Uno, Nano do hae the Raspberry but never got to using it ....
    ive tinkered with the ESP 8266 a little and was greatly impressed i do have an ESP 32 which is better than the 8266 but never got to doing anything with it
    also the STM32 or the blue pill

other than that i have worked on PIC the raw Atmels Mega 128, Tiny 85, etc...
    other than the PIC wihch were a pain to program - but that was a decade ago, maybe that's changed. most are very easy to use

Arduino is the VB of microcontrollers .... and that is comming from a person who just loves VB ..... (started with basic on spectrum in late 1980's ) so that is something

PowerPoster

I quickly abandoned Arduino after playing with an Uno. Too underpowered and non-connected. For the sorts of things it was good for I found the PICAXE adequate.

I moved on to ESP8266 NodeMCU boards fairly quickly. I might have moved on to ESP32, but by then I was out of things to do that might have benefited from it.

ESP8266 is everywhere now. A vast number of commercial IoT devices for WiFi-based "smart home" ecosystems use them.

Hmmm.... Things change in 4-1/2 years.

Brad!
    (That's when this thread was created.... 4-1/2 years ago....)
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------

I used both Arduino and Raspberry series. But I recommend Arduino Uno. At a basic level, Arduino Uno is work best and well suited.