Thread: A Listbox for millions items, transparent background, and changeable charset

Frenzied Member

A Listbox for millions items, transparent background, and changeable charset

This is my glist a big listbox as you see!

New,
    This is the right version, wich is very fast for adding 1000000 items, and Vscroll bar using "logical lines" no lines (the visible lines of the usercontrol).

I add a new form to show how this listbox help to have previews when scroll the caret by mouse movemnet, and that previews are labels which response to a click event and perform software selection on the list. When the move is fast then the previews are not changed. So if that was images the walking through the list can be done without time consuming image preview for each item. When we select an item form preview list then the selection didn't fire a "selected" event but a "softselected" so maybe we can leave it without code...What we want is done, no selected event produced and that is right because the selection was made by preview list for a list item.

glistCharset shows how you can have any charset to your listbox...(ordinary listbox they don't change charset even they change the property). I change font to Verdana (unicode) and a put several charset, kyrilic, tourkish...etc
    Name:  listbox.JPG
Views: 2346
Size:  22.5 KB
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by georgekar; Jun 14th, 2014 at 05:36 AM.

Hyperactive Member

Re: A Listbox for millions items and transparent background

loading million items from list will take xxxxxxxx time good luck.

since you say you made this list control this tells me you know how to make ctl controls custom xxx , buttons etc

try make me a button and lets prove people wrong.

make me a multi tab control but the tab background colour should be changable and remove the default colour make me this basic control

Frenzied Member

And what is special with a multi tab button??
    About tabs what functionality you want?
    Because mainly a tab system not expose anything about contained controls, just an event to do something to hide some controls and show that particular dedicated for a tab, the underlining display procedure is up to your flavor or idea, to what to do exactly.
    So if you use a holder for controls that have a picture property then you can do the same thing I do in the code above, and reload the form "hidden" part of picture, using auto redraw to avoid flickering.
    The main problem for thought about a tab control is that you have to maintain a list of controls for each tab and a list for tabs captions with a way to visualize tabs in a separate picturebox, with a warping or a special moving mechanism. But these things can be out of control, with request services via events. So a show method in a custom control, a tab one, is calling by event the drawing for tabs caption and by a timer do the controls repainting, to give time for the nervous user to change tab before the system drawing controls for the previous selected tab.
    A user control is a picturebox so you have to put another for tabs or you can split the control to two controls, so you have to "Sync" the tab control with a simple picturebox. To synchronize a control means that you put a reference of a loaded control to your custom control, so that control programming from custom control, like it is the owner.

That was my thoughts. Don't ask to work about it..I do it when I needed.So I don't make you for proving anything. Just take what you can...for me, and that is.

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by georgekar View Post
    And what is special with a multi tab button??
    About tabs what functionality you want?
    Because mainly a tab system not expose anything about contained controls, just an event to do something to hide some controls and show that particular dedicated for a tab, the underlining display procedure is up to your flavor or idea, to what to do exactly.
    So if you use a holder for controls that have a picture property then you can do the same thing I do in the code above, and reload the form "hidden" part of picture, using auto redraw to avoid flickering.
    The main problem for thought about a tab control is that you have to maintain a list of controls for each tab and a list for tabs captions with a way to visualize tabs in a separate picturebox, with a warping or a special moving mechanism. But these things can be out of control, with request services via events. So a show method in a custom control, a tab one, is calling by event the drawing for tabs caption and by a timer do the controls repainting, to give time for the nervous user to change tab before the system drawing controls for the previous selected tab.
    A user control is a picturebox so you have to put another for tabs or you can split the control to two controls, so you have to "Sync" the tab control with a simple picturebox. To synchronize a control means that you put a reference of a loaded control to your custom control, so that control programming from custom control, like it is the owner.

That was my thoughts. Don't ask to work about it..I do it when I needed.So I don't make you for proving anything. Just take what you can...for me, and that is.
    if you have used sstab this is what i need , with feature to change background colour the default colour dont allow u to change all tab colour looks stupid if u can make it will be great

Quote Originally Posted by cobraide View Post
    try make me a button and lets prove people wrong.

make me a multi tab control but the tab background colour should be changable and remove the default colour make me this basic control
    Make you own thread asking for that in the VB6 section! It is NOT up to the original poster to change the code to suit you.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Frenzied Member

Re: A Listbox for millions items, transparent background, and changeable charset

I have an example for using glist as listbox for every charset.
    (This listbox has no multiselect and sort functionality, but is open for mutations...)