Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 815161718

Thread: VB6 is DEAD!

Re: VB6 is DEAD!

Quote Originally Posted by dee-u View Post
    Wow, that is the first. If you are not using C# already perhaps you may want to try it now just to familiarize yourself with those curly braces, then Java will not be difficult, I will also do an application using it one of these days to enhance my basic skills.
    Well I wrote a lot of C++ code back when I used VB6 so I'm not unfamiliar with curly braces. I hate them but if one day I'm forced to endure them, I won't have a choice and I suspect I will become comfortable with them.

Thing is, it's not really about the language alone. Its everything together provided by MS. I'm really hoping that I'm not forced one day to abandon Visual Studio and Windows as a development platform. It will be such a shame, I don't think there are better tools for app development than Visual Studio. And coding against the .Net Framework with Visual Studio+VB.Net is the best experience I've ever had as a developer. Its a perfect marriage of IDE, language, runtime and OS. Anything else would be a step backward.

I doubt Android developers have any IDE comparable to Visual Studio or a language as expressive as C#/VB.Net or a Framework as robust, powerful and organized as .Net or a runtime as stable and flexible as the CLR.
    Last edited by Niya; Jul 18th, 2014 at 04:02 PM.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

PowerPoster

It is funny because over on the other side of the fence they often mock Visual Studio as a usability disaster. I think everyone just gets "invested" in their tools. They tend to resist change and quibble over small things.

Android Java developers have at least 3 mainstream IDE alternatives and a few minor players to choose from. This keeps competition alive which in turn drives innovation and improvement. There are even more alternatives for JVM (conventional Oracle) Java.

I think the "B4-family" tools (Basic4android, B4J, very soon perhaps B4i) can be useful as a bridge to Java for Basic programmers. B4J is free so it gives you an alternative to MS Basics you can start with immediately. People are writing B4J programs and running them even on RaspberryPi controllers/miniPCs.

PowerPoster

You might look at Third Party Dev Tools Strike Back for an entrenched Microsoft patriot's slow coming to grips with change.

He's still desperately clinging to superstitious beliefs and trying to make lemonade from his .Net lemon even though he has the facts right before him. What he never mentions in his blog posts are how lousy the results produced by Xamarin are: bloated install packages, slow execution, high memory consumption, and lack of access to native platform features.

However there is no telling whether Xamarin will continue to improve at doing what they do given time.
    Last edited by dilettante; Jul 18th, 2014 at 08:19 PM.

I've used some of those a bit. In general, there are some things that they all share, and all are ok to one extent or another. Essentially, an IDE is a word processor with some special formatting quirks. You can write .NET with Notepad if you are a masochist. What sets most IDE's apart from one another is how they handle the formatting quirks. VS does a nice job with that. Aside from the formatting, you need a debugger that is functional and the rest is gravy.

Some people loved the VB6 IDE. Witis posted a link from some guy who hated all other VB variations because the IDE wasn't
    the VB6 IDE. He found the .NET IDE too complicated to deal with. That guy isn't alone. There's a petition over on user voice to change the .NET IDE so that you open each method individually in a code page. That seems totally insane to me, but the person who created the post talked in terms of the purity of one method at a time, and one method only. Open a new tab page if you want to edit a different method.

What this tells me is: No IDE is best. There are so many differences of opinion out there that it's all down to personal opinion. After all, do people remember that thread in General Developer that linked to the crank running on about the evil of #Region directives being able to collapse code? He wasn't speaking about his preference, he was arguing that there was only one right way and anybody who felt differently wasn't a real coder. People are going to be dogmatic. I prefer to be cathartic, and RobDogg is apparently auto-magic (and Witis may be veggie-magic).
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

I'm about to be a PowerPoster!

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker83 View Post
    How can a GUI be more complex than the hardware stuff?
    spoken like someone who has never written a GUI! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    (and Witis may be veggie-magic).
    Wisis also casts anthropomorph-magic. A truly terrifying blend when melded with veggie-magic.
    Burn the land and boil the sea
    You can't take the sky from me

~T

Now I know why the fireworks are gone, Schmidt is banned again.
    Regards,

â„¢

As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

Now I know why the fireworks are gone, Schmidt is banned again.
    I hope its not permanent. His condescending attitude and all his irrational VB6 fanboyism aside, he is an extremely knowledgeable individual. I enjoy reading many of his posts. It would be a terrible loss to this community if he was permanently gone.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Can any of the admins/moderators confirm if it is temporary or permanent?
    Regards,

â„¢

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

I've known from looking at his profile that he is banned when I noticed he was not reacting to the 'DoEvents is evil' remark in the VB6 forums.
    Regards,

â„¢

I've known from looking at his profile that he is banned when I noticed he was not reacting to the 'DoEvents is evil' remark in the VB6 forums.
    lol. You expected a response from him to that comment ?

Unhappy Re: VB6 is DEAD!

Very disappointed to read that Olaf Schmidt has been banned. His posts were the reason I came here so often. Olaf's vbRichClient tool set has saved me a lot of agony as it has allowed me to postpone my migration from VB6 to another language. It is a robust tool set developed by a very astute programmer.

Can he come across as a little brusque now and then? Yes, but who cares? He is a brilliant and resourceful developer who has created excellent tools that have helped so many.

Banning Olaf permanently would be a huge mistake. He has made powerful contributions to VBForums in terms of solutions, code and libraries.

Most likely, it is temporary. He is a pretty sharp guy, but he has a nasty habit of sabotaging his own posts with utterly superfluous, condescending comments. That's behavior that isn't tolerated forever. The pity of it is that those comments are never necessary.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

I get the impression he has an inferiority complex. People who like to belittle others as much as he does usually do it to hide their insecurities.

I doubt Android developers have any IDE comparable to Visual Studio or a language as expressive as C#/VB.Net or a Framework as robust, powerful and organized as .Net or a runtime as stable and flexible as the CLR.
    You forgot to mention the documentation too. MSDN's documentation on C#, C++, and VB.Net are nothing short of remarkable.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    You forgot to mention the documentation too. MSDN's documentation on C#, C++, and VB.Net are nothing short of remarkable.
    So true. It's second to none!

PowerPoster

Yeah, such a snazzy IDE. I hear they're even considering letting you choose menus that aren't all uppercase letters!

Visual Studio 14 CTP 2 - NO CAPS

And then they have some kind of "light bulb" thing that sounds like a return to Clippy the Annoying PaperClip.

Best part?

As a long-time Visual Studio user I have to say that I still cannot come to terms with the fact that JavaScript and Python figure in the list of project types. OK, you have to download the extra tools to work with Python or Node.js but the fact that you can do it is still unexpected
    More evidence that .Net is being phased out/dumped on Xamarin.

If .Net isn't dead it sure seems to be on Death Row.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    More evidence that .Net is being phased out/dumped on Xamarin.

If .Net isn't dead it sure seems to be on Death Row.
    Then why are they still updating the Framework ?

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    Then why are they still updating the Framework ?
    Just to piss off dil. It's a conspiracy I tell ya!

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by szlamany View Post
    Just to piss off dil. It's a conspiracy I tell ya!
    Ya, they probably just rename variables and didn't think that dilettante would notice.
    They forget that there is an app called Reflector that can reveal their conspiracy!!

I can't see why having JavaScript means the death of .NET. Python, I can see that it could be an indicator, but what is the developer tool called? Developer .NET? It's a developer tool. Whit I won't say the IDE is the epitome of usability (there isn't anything that reaches this level), it works well. But 'no caps' menus will make it killer!
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

Quote Originally Posted by SJWhiteley View Post
    But 'no caps' menus will make it killer!
    So no capitalizing on the IDE? *Dead pan emoticon goes here*
    Burn the land and boil the sea
    You can't take the sky from me

~T

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 815161718