Thread: Why does it takes a while for the change of codes to take effect on the program?

Why does it takes a while for the change of codes to take effect on the program?

For an example I have a close button

Private Sub btnClose_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles btnClose.Click
    Me.Close()
    End Sub

I deleted the Me.Close(),

Private Sub btnClose_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles btnClose.Click

End Sub

but the form still close, why does it take a while like 30m for the codes take effect?
    Last edited by johnnxiv; May 31st, 2014 at 12:26 PM.

Re: Why does it takes a while for the change of codes to take effect on the program?

what the hell are you on about? what codes :/ it helps if you make sense since we cant read your mind.

Re: Why does it takes a while for the change of codes to take effect on the program?

I agree. What you stated doesn't make sense. If you change the code, then it changes. If you are seeing behavior that is different from what your code is doing, then you are running the old version, which hasn't been replaced by the new version. There could be a variety of causes for that, but you can confirm it by putting a breakpoint on the End Sub, or by putting a dummy line in the method and adding a breakpoint to the line, which could be a simple as Dim x = 1.

If execution doesn't stop on the breakpoint, then the code you are editing is not the code that is being run.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Or what's happening is that the compiled code isn't clearing out correctly, and all that needs to be done is to have the bin & obj folders deleted... re-build the program...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

This is what Im asking about, I changed the default values of the program and Click Run. The program still display the old numbers.
    Let say I delete a group of codes, and the program still run correctly,
    http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...4.png~original

Have you done what techgnome suggested? If you make a change in the code and you don't see that change reflected in the application when you run it then you are running old output. That may because your new code won't compile or because VS can't overwrite the old output, which can happen from time to time. If you delete the old output then it can't be run, so either new output will be created or you won't have anything to run, so it will be easy to see which.