Thread: Version Control

Version Control

I've been developing for this client for over two years now. And the success we've enjoyed with the apps are evident that they hired more devs and allowed me to train some others here in the company who want to become developers. The need for version control became obvious so one of the more experienced web dev guys brought in Tortoise SVN. It seems to work pretty good and as I understand it's Open Source so the cost is right.

My practice is each morning when I come in, I Update to get any of the changes others may have made and each evening when I leave I Commit all my changes. But I've been noticing that one or more of the issues or conflicts are with the *.suo files. I was curious as to how other development teams handle this.

Re: Version Control

There are several file types that shouldn't be stored in version control, and I'm pretty sure .suo is one of them - because it is a user options file.

Most source control systems allow you to specify which file types to include and/or ignore.

Sinecure devotee

I try to ensure I don't import the .suo file.
    You can always do an svn delete *.suo to remove it from the repository. (I don't usually use the GUI, started with svn on Linux from the terminal and have continued from the command line in windows). I assume you have Tortoise integrated with Windows Explorer, so you should be able to tag it for removal from the repository from the GUI.
    Last edited by passel; May 22nd, 2014 at 04:29 PM.

I think you should (if possible) start form the inner folder called (project name) thus (if .NET) should avoid ".sln" and ".suo" from there I think is just a matter of removing the "Release" and "Debug" folders from each of the folders within the main folder. That been said the only files that remain should be fine to put in version control. So that, is going from the inner folder all the files as well as the folder called "My Project", I don't know if the "obj" folder would be included or not?
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

The suo file is a user-based file that tracks what files/projects you had open when you close the solution. It should be in your ignore list. That's what we do with ours. Along with the bin folder, and a couple of others.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *