Thread: Network options

PowerPoster

Network options

I have a client that has two offices, about 100 miles apart. I've only wrote programs for one of the offices, the two offices do different tasks and don't need the same types of programs(at least they don't share my programs). But, recently they got rid of their LAN and setup a network in the other office that they share. The office I work for access the network thru a VPN. Recently they had the custom programs I wrote moved to the network in the other office to insure the data was being backed up. This has killed the performance. They have a company that takes care of their network but before I talk to them, I would like to know what options are available to speed up the network or other types of networks besides a VPN, if not overly expensive.

these are VB6 and VB.Net app, basic data entry/retrieval/reporting.

thanks for any input

Frenzied Member

Re: Network options

i think every data transfer needs to be minimized. the vpn is killing the speed of data transfer from the client where your code is running to a data source (file, database, everything that is not stored locally). when you had the datasource on a machine within the local LAN then you did not have these issues. however this would mean alot of work and code changes so this is prob. not an option. i got no idea how quick the vpn can be but would expect the worst in your case, i.e. they cannot make it quick enough to have acceptable performance. if it does not work out i'd run the datasource locally and have a backup job set up that sends the relevant data through the vpn to a server in the other office each night so that it gets backed up there as well.

PowerPoster

dS, thanks for the reply.

I don't think they even have a local LAN anymore.

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    I don't think they even have a local LAN anymore.
    what else then?!

PowerPoster

that's what I'm asking!