Thread: Deploying a VB application with a MySQL database

Question Deploying a VB application with a MySQL database

I'm currently developing an application in VB.NET with a MySQL back-end database. Once I have finished development, how exactly do I go about deploying the software to my client? He wants to be able to access the database using the VB.NET program from multiple computers with the software installed. I'm speculating that my client would have to install MySQL on a server which is connected to all of his computers with my program installed. I'm using MySQL Community Server.

PowerPoster

Re: Deploying a VB application with a MySQL database

This is a downside of any client-server RDBMS product. You need a dedicated server for best results, and sooner or later you'll find you need a DBA to deal with its care and feeding... after everything has been set up and gotten running.

This is one of the big drivers of the move to Cloud development. You can still use "smart client" code, but by re-architecting and rewriting to use a NoSQL DBMS you can radically reduce or even eliminate DBAs. If you use a public Cloud service you can even eliminate the infrastructure requirement.

Of course nothing comes for free. If you really need an RDBMS you are going to have to have somebody playing DBA. And you still need someone to play "integrator" and help set up a private Cloud server and/or public Cloud accounts, configure everything, etc. And nothing is truly zero administration. Not even simple systems based on Jet MDBs.