Thread: Running html pages offline in a tablet or mobile

Running html pages offline in a tablet or mobile

Hi,

Maybe this question has been asked before, but here is what I want to do.

I am trying to develop an android based application that uses several HTML pages, the pages are modified to look like a native android app, using CSS and jquery.

I have managed to make a test page, using jquery, and also made a css theme to work with it. The page runs fine on my apache server.

The whole collection of above files is now stored in a android phone or tablet. I want to know if this will work without a server (the pages are stored locally), will jquery also work without a server??

thanks
    a

Re: Running html pages offline in a tablet or mobile

As long as you do not do any AJAX POST's the page is static and the jQuery runs in the browser.

But I must ask - why not just create an Android app?

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

But I must ask - why not just create an Android app?
    Native apps or web apps ??

I am considering developing apps using basic4android, are there any other development tools ??

thanks
    a

I recently got a job to create an entry program on an Android 7 inch tablet. First I thought about using my existing web app and a browser on the tablet. I rejected that because I wanted full screen control - a much tighter and robust user experience.

With that said I opted for a native app. Using ECLIPSE for the IDE - it's a JAVA-like (C-syntax) language. I've never had a problem going from VB to C... Bought this book to help me get over any hurdles.

http://www.ebook3000.com/The-Android...DK_211531.html

It's been a really great experience. I'm using the same WEB METHODS - running in IIS - that my web app uses. Making AJAX calls to these same method - working with JSON strings.

The app is still in development. I plan on using a local SQLite DB on the tablet for when the tablet is out of range of a network.

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by arunb View Post
    I am considering developing apps using basic4android, are there any other development tools ??
    You could also check HyperNext Android Creator