Thread: WCF with IIS7.5 custom certificate for client side login, register, erc.

King of sapila

WCF with IIS7.5 custom certificate for client side login, register, erc.

Has anyone actually done this? In theory, we are ready to go but as I've read, if you create a custom certificate you get in lot and lot of problems(server denying the cert, exceptions thrown, security issues).
    What i would like to actually do is have a WCF service with asp.net and 3.5 framework (so no elevated membership classes) that will get the data from an Ajax - Json Call. It will then log the user in.
    I think i can handle the cookie authentication the custom membership login and anything else related, except the certificate. As I've said, in theory it can be done and i could give advise also but what i would like to know is if anyone have actually achieved this. From my experience and the site not being MVC i sense tons of problems coming my way, "beep beep").
    So yeah if i can't manage this i have made an encryption client to WCF solution but I am a masochist and i would like to try the custom certificate solution.
    Thanks.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Re: WCF with IIS7.5 custom certificate for client side login, register, erc.

I've never used this in an ASP.net app, but I've created a service that communicated with a Java service that used client-certificates for authorisation and the other way a service that used the clients certificate for authorisation. I didn't run into large problems, do you have a specific question?
    VB6 & C# (WCF LINQ) mostly

If you need help with a WPF/WCF question post in the NEW WPF & WCF forum and we will try help the best we can

My site

My blog, couding troubles and solutions

Free online tools

King of sapila

Not at the moment. I will have to get into it first to see how it goes.
    Well except, if you used client certs then you probably must forced the users on each PC to install the certs, right? I would like to avoid that but i guess it can only happen with a signed certificate.Am i right?
    Thanks,

Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'
    save a blobFileStreamDataTable To Text Filemy blog

King of sapila

Hi. WCF and 3.5. This link is for Web API, I am asking for a WCF service with asp.net and 3.5 framework so GetClientCertificate() extension method will not work.
    Also i asked if anyone has really gotten to use the certificate. I don't need any links since this is theoretical and i have many links also.
    I Am saying that because the guy on the example states " I am using 127.0.0.1 as host address here, but in real life you probably would use a domain name and not an IP address." So he hasn't tested on a web server that could result in tons of issues (from datetime(yep) to other configured sites,etc).
    Anyhow i will be starting this in a couple of days so i guess i will see how it goes.

In my situation the certificates were already installled for another purpose
    VB6 & C# (WCF LINQ) mostly

If you need help with a WPF/WCF question post in the NEW WPF & WCF forum and we will try help the best we can

My site

My blog, couding troubles and solutions

Free online tools

King of sapila

Well i'll see what i can do. I have already used encryption techniques for registration so i might forget all about the certificate and do that. Anyhow, i just got involved in another project so this may go back a little...