Thread: Windows 8, VS 6.0, SP6.0 Install fails with "did not detect Visual Studio 6.0...."

Question Windows 8, VS 6.0, SP6.0 Install fails with "did not detect Visual Studio 6.0...."

"Because Setup did not detect any Visual Studio 6.0 products on your system, the service pack will not be installed."

I'm trying to install VS6.0 and VSSP6 on a new machine.

I had installed Visual Studio 12.0 Express, but when I started having problems I uninstalled that.

I've repeatedly tried installing VS6.0, rebooting, installing VSSP6.
    I've tried uninstalling all Visual Studio products, deleting everything VS related in the registry, rebooting, reinstalling VS6.0 then attempting to install VSSP6, but every time I get the same error.

Now, I'm running the Windows 8 OS, and all the Registry entries for VS 6.0 are in
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>Wow6432Node>Microsoft>VisualStudio>6.0
    Now I'm wondering if it's the Wow6432Node bit that is causing the SP6 install package to not find "Visual Studio 6.0" as SP6 came long before any of the Wow64 nonsense.

Is there an entry in an INI file somewhere that I can modify to look in this location or similar?

What is the impact on manually copying the dll's, ocx's, exe's, tlb's etc from the SP6 kit into their relevant folders?

I've tried changing the file sp698vbo.stf and sp698ent.stf all instances of:
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\6.0
    to
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio\6.0
    and
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools
    to
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Shared Tools
    but the installation doesn't get that far, there MUST be something somewhere that tells setupsp6.exe where to check in the registry for the VS version....

Please note that I have already spent HOURS searching forums for a solution to this problem, there is absolutely nothing out there that gives a definitive solution to this problem. I've tried all suggestions I have so far found, and nothing works.

This is wasting so much time!
    Last edited by JA12; Apr 28th, 2014 at 06:29 AM.

Fanatic Member

Re: Windows 8, VS 6.0, SP6.0 Install fails with "did not detect Visual Studio 6.0....

VS 6 on a 64-bit, Windows 8? I'd say you've got a Snowball's Chance in H***.

From what I've read, Visual Studio 6 is not intended for installation on anything beyond Windows XP. I've not found anything on The Web where anyone's got it to work (if that doesn't get someone jumping up saying "I did!" then nothing will ).

If you code in C++, then Visual Studio 12 is probably the way to go. C++ is about the only stable language in the Redmond portfolio; IMHO, everything else from the last decade has just been about Fashion.

If you want to use VB (which I guess you do, since you're asking in a VB [proper] forum) then I'd suggest you're well and truly out of luck! (Sorry)

BTW, the Wow6432Node "nonsense" is a 64-bit Windows "thing" wherein "little", 32-bit programs aren't allowed to see the whole Registry any more because it might contain "grown-up", 64-bit data types. These "little" processes only get to play in "sandboxes" dotted around the Registry, one of which is the HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node.
    There is NOTHING you can do about this - it's built into the heart of Windows and there is NO way around it. Not that there needs to be because the "re-mapping", from where things used to be to where they are now, is done silently and seamlessly by Windows so that 32-bit applications simply aren't aware of any difference.

Are you sure you're running all your installers "elevated" ("As Administrator")?

Regards, Phill W.

Re: Windows 8, VS 6.0, SP6.0 Install fails with "did not detect Visual Studio 6.0....

The registry setting SHOULD NOT need to be changed as it will install to the Program Files (x86) folder or whatever the equivalent is on Windows 8.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

"I've not found anything on The Web where anyone's got it to work (if that doesn't get someone jumping up saying "I did!" then nothing will ). "

Phil....I have installed VS6.0 on XP, Win7 and Win 8.0, and Win 8.1. Are you saying that you have not seen anyone install SP6 for those OS's beyond XP????????????????????????

:-) )I jumped up!

Quote Originally Posted by SamOscarBrown View Post
    Phil....I have installed VS6.0 on XP, Win7 and Win 8.0, and Win 8.1. Are you saying that you have not seen anyone install SP6 for those OS's beyond XP????????????????????????
    :-) )I jumped up!
    OK, so how did you do it?

That combination has already been installed on 5 Windows 8 machines and mine, but it's just mine that has the problem...

I think the main thing is that I installed Visual Studio 12.0 Express before VS6 was installed, and despite the fact that VS12 has been uninstalled, and I've stripped everything to do with 10.0; 11.0 and 12.0 from the registry, I think something is still interfering...

Unfortunately, I've finished my VB.NET project and now have to go onto a VB6 probject.

Fanatic Member

I have installed VS6.0 on XP, Win7 and Win 8.0, and Win 8.1
    Good for you! How? What O/S's do you target for deployment?
    I have to support several C++ applications on everything back to (and including) XP and, whilst I've been given a shiny[-ish] new[-ish] windows 7 machine, the idea of trying to strong-arm 15+ year-old runtime dll's into the middle of 7's \Windows\System quite frankly scares the blazes out of me.

Any suggestions?

Are you saying that you have not seen anyone install SP6 for those OS's
    No. I couldn't find anyone who'd got Studio '6 itself installed and working.
    Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places.

Quote Originally Posted by JA12 View Post
    OK, so how did you do it?
    Simply inserted my Visual Studio 6.0 disk and selected the components (Programs) I wanted to install, and let it run. When it 'finished', it hangs (three different machines' successful installation). I simply reboot at that point, and after reboot, VS is installed. Had no real issues with it (other than some Operator Error stuff you may have seen me post).

You can't do so?

PowerPoster

[Jumping up]
    Installed VB6 successully (using the default-installer) on Win7, Win8, Win8.1...
    (no larger problems really - maybe because I always install without ADO and without MSDN checkmarks)

After installation then the usual checks on VB6.exe for 'Run as Admin' and Comaptibility-mode to 'Vista SP2'.

Olaf

I can install VS6.0, but I can't install VS-SP6, that's where the problem is. I need the SP6 updates to correct a problem with DAO accessing MDB databases with VBA functions embedded in the SQL.

But did you install SP6?

Most of us installed the Visual Basic SP6, not the Visual Studio SP6.
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...s.aspx?id=5721

That link is to the VS-SP6, and has exactly the same error as before...

I tried downloading the VB6 runtime SP6, but that doesn't fix the problem and doesn't contain the DAO/JET dll's I need.
    Last edited by JA12; Apr 28th, 2014 at 08:56 AM.

PowerPoster

Seems like when i installed under Windows 8 that the installer hung at the end of the VB6 install. VB6 installed but did not create the shortcut nor some of the registry entries. I added a few keys to the registry and was able to install SP6 without a problem.

There is a thread here which I started detailing the keys in question a quick search should locate it for you

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Phill.W View Post
    I couldn't find anyone who'd got Studio '6 itself installed and working.
    Microsoft never made any provision for installing any part of VS6 after Windows XP except for VB6. Indeed, when Vista was first released VB6 was the only part of any version of VS that was supported, including VS 2005 which had to wait for a special patch. So on Day One VB6 was the only supported compiler you could program on Vista with.

VC++ was specifically called out as not supported.

So what do you think of as "Visual Studio itself?" Surely not merely the IDE?

The VS 6 IDE does install and work just fine when installed as part of the VSI 1.1 package, which was supported as part of VB6. I use this routinely.

I also have Visual InterDev 6 working, though it required installation of the Vista-replacement version of the DHTMLEdit control and TriEdit library. Microsoft provided no guidance on this and never claimed it was supported post-XP, but it works. It also uses the VS6 IDE.

I don't know of anyone who ever got VC++ working post-XP. I'm not sure it is possible since the debugger was a problem, relying on things no longer permitted in Windows.

VB6 got a new post-XP runtime with debugger enhancements, preinstalled in Vista and later which is why it works. The VB6 runtime even got a fix for SendKeys (the most obvious wart still left). Though even that "fix" can be ineffective: it works for compiled programs but not during IDE debugging.

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    Seems like when i installed under Windows 8 that the installer hung at the end of the VB6 install.
    You don't say if your using Win8 32bit or 64bit?

I have that problem when I tried to install VB6 on my Win8 64bit it just locks up when it finalises. I found out that you have to disable Data Access then it installs else as you say it hangs. You also have to run the exe's as administrator the same goes for SP6. Even when it did install some components couldn't be added. I installed Windows 7 32bit and everything works like a dream.

As you say there is a thread on here discussing installing VB6 on Win8.
    Keith

I've been programming with VB for 25 years. Started with VB4 16bit Pro, VB5 Pro, VB6 Pro/Enterprise and now VB3 Pro. But I'm no expert, I'm still learning.

PowerPoster

I was using Win8x64

What registry entry does SP6 look for to let it know that VS6 is installed on the machine. If I knew that, I could manually create that entry, and cure the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Keithuk View Post
    The sysWOW64 pretty much gives it away that I'm installing 32bit on a 64bit OS.
    I found out that you have to disable Data Access then it installs else as you say it hangs.
    The Data Access option is an "essential" part of the install, you can't disable it. Do you have to modify an ini file to disable this?
    You also have to run the exe's as administrator
    Yes, always do that.

gibra

I have that problem when I tried to install VB6 on my Win8 64bit it just locks up when it finalises. I found out that you have to disable Data Access then it installs else as you say it hangs. You also have to run the exe's as administrator the same goes for SP6. Even when it did install some components couldn't be added. I installed Windows 7 32bit and everything works like a dream.
    Yes. I confirm (but other users experience it, also)
    In Windows 8.x if I leave Data Access checked, setup fails.

P.S. No worries: ADO works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by gibra View Post
    P.S. No worries: ADO works fine.
    Yes I know, but unfortunately I can't completely re-engineer this massive legacy system which uses DAO

I've solved my problem with SP6 by adding the two registry entries that are missing because VS6 setup hangs and has to be killed

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\MS Setup (ACME)\Table Files]
    "Snapshot Viewer@v10.00.00.5508"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Snapshot Viewer\\Setup\\snap90.stf"
    "Visual Basic 6.0 Enterprise Edition@v6.0.0.0.0626 (1033)"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VB98\\Setup\\1033\\setup.stf"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Visual Basic 6.0 Enterprise Edition]
    "DisplayName"="Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Enterprise Edition"
    "UninstallString"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VB98\\Setup\\1033\\Setup.exe"
    VS6 then appears in the list of installed programmes and SP6 finds it so will install.

I still have my problem with using VBA functions in SQL SELECT statements and DAO OpenRecordset, specifically "round()" I hoped that SP6 would cure this, but no, the troubleshooting continues...

PowerPoster

I still have my problem with using VBA functions in SQL SELECT statements and DAO OpenRecordset, specifically "round()" I hoped that SP6 would cure this, but no, the troubleshooting continues...
    You sure, that DAO ever had "special support" (for more VBA functions than the default-stuff *JET* always supported)?

I mean, SQL is not interpreted by the DAO- (and also not the ADO-) layer.
    The compilation/interpretation of an SQL-string happens at the level of the DB-Engine itself,
    which is JET.

Just made a test here with VB6 on Win8, checking-in the DAO 3.61 reference -
    and I can open NWind.mdb and perform an:
    "Select Round(1.1111, 2), * From Orders"

without any issues.

Did you checked for DAO 3.61 already - it should be available within your project-references,
    since it comes pre-installed along with the JET-engine?

Olaf

I have the "Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library" loaded. This project works on all other machines in the office, just not on mine. I'm trying to figure out why. I don't have MS Office installed (not enough licences), but neither does one other machine, and that doesn't have the problem.

The SQL statement works in native MS Access. It works in a utility we have that is an MDB "Viewer". It works in an EXE that was built on another machine. It just doesn't work running in "Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0" on my machine.
    Last edited by JA12; Apr 30th, 2014 at 03:38 AM.

PowerPoster

The SQL statement works in native MS Access. It works in a utility we have that is an MDB "Viewer". It works in an EXE that was built on another machine. It just doesn't work running in "Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0" on my machine.
    If you're sure that you're not referring to one of the "Access-only" builtin-VBA-functions (Access offers a broader set of usable VBA-functions within a given SQL-string, than the plain JET-engine which you use from within VB6) - then you have perhaps a broken JET or DAO installation (IIRC, the DAO-layer is included in the JET-packages).

So, I'd try to achieve a succesful DAO 3.61 update first (over your current DAO 3.60, which got there perhaps due to a self-installed and too old JET-package).

I see 3.61 here on Win8 - no clue where your "downgrade to 3.6" did come from.

No real JET-installation experience here anymore, I've ignored those packages since XP, because they come preinstalled (since Vista+ even in higher versions than the JET-4.0 servicepacks one can download officially)... but perhaps in your case you should make an attempt with a late JET-Servicepack - to try to correct the things on your Win8 machine.

Maybe also ask in a dedicated (large) Access-Forum - I imagine there's guys who know the JET-engine (and its proper re-installment) in and out.

Olaf

Frenzied Member

This is my first experience with Windows 8.1 64 bit. As others have aluded to, the Setup files for VB6 must be run with elevated privileges. I could find no way to do that with the available Run command as in previous operating systems, so I ran the Command Prompt with elevated privileges and executed the Setup files from there. And then I discovered the PowerShell(Admin).

I would strongly recommend not using the default Program Files (x86) directory, as it saves having to deal with the Permissions problem in that directory. As others have again aluded to, VB6 installed properly by choosing the Custom Option and deselecting Data Access. This resulted in the following registry entries, which is somewhat different than others have posted (no double \\ in the paths).

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\MS Setup (ACME)\Table Files
    Visual Basic 6.0 Professional Edition@v6.0.0.0.0626(1033) REG_SZ c:\VB98\Setup\setup.stf

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Visual Basic 6.0 Professional Edition
    UninstallString REG_SZ "c:\VB98\Setup\1033\Setup.exe"

After successfully installing VB6, SP6 installed without an issue, and the VB6 splash screen indicates such. The first 2 programs compiled without issue.

J.A. Coutts

Banned

Install Visual Basic 6 in Windows 8:
    http://vb6andwindows8.codeplex.com/

Or this one: "Install VB6 on Windows 8":
    http://www.derekwirch.com/2012/03/in...windows-8.html

Or this: Installing Visual Basic 6.0 on Windows 8:
    1. Insert CD containing Visual Basic 6.0 install. It should start automatically.
    When prompted to continue, exit out.
    2. Open Windows Explorer.
    3. Navigate to the CD and right mouse click Setup.exe
    4. Select Properties >> Compatibility tab
    5. Check the box next to "Run this program in compatibility mode for…"
    6. Select your current version of Windows. ex: Windows XP (Service Pack 3)
    7. Click OK
    8. Right mouse click Setup.exe and select "Run as administrator"
    9. When prompted to select components for VB, choose "Select All"
    10.Now unselect Data Access (this is what locks up the install and
    causes it not to finish properly). Almost a minute may pass before
    you are notified the install has finished successfully. Be patient.
    11.When prompted, follow instructions and allow the process to reboot.
    12.You will be prompted to insert the MSDN CD.It should start automatically.
    When prompted to continue, exit out.
    13.Follow install steps 2-8 above.
    14.When prompted for items to install, select what you need and click OK
    15.You will be instructed as to when to insert the second CD.
    Now VB and the help files have been installed.
    16.Extract all the files from VS6SP6VB.EXE to a temp folder (ex: C:\Temp)
    17.Follow steps 2-8 above in reference to SetupSp6.exe inside the temp folder.
    18.When finished, reboot just to be safe.
    19.Remove the temp folder contents.
    Now service pack 6 has been installed.
    Before you settle in to begin coding, do the following:
    1. Close the VB IDE (Visual BASIC Integrated Development Environment)
    2. Locate the file VB.EXE in Windows 8
    (ex: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\VB98\VB.EXE)
    3. Right mouse click and select Properties >> Compatibility tab
    4. Remove compatibility checkmarks
    5. Click on "Change settings for all users" at bottom of window
    6. Check "Run this program as Administrator"
    7. Click OK
    8. Click OK
    9. Restart the VB IDE
    References:
    Visual Basic 6.0 Resource Center
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/ms788229
    Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Service Pack 6 Cumulative Update
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...s.aspx?id=7030

Kenneth Iveskenaso@tx.rr.com

I've solved my problem with SP6 by adding the two registry entries that are missing because VS6 setup hangs and has to be killed

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\MS Setup (ACME)\Table Files]
    "Snapshot Viewer@v10.00.00.5508"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Snapshot Viewer\\Setup\\snap90.stf"
    "Visual Basic 6.0 Enterprise Edition@v6.0.0.0.0626 (1033)"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VB98\\Setup\\1033\\setup.stf"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Visual Basic 6.0 Enterprise Edition]
    "DisplayName"="Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Enterprise Edition"
    "UninstallString"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VB98\\Setup\\1033\\Setup.exe"
    VS6 then appears in the list of installed programmes and SP6 finds it so will install.

Update: this works on Windows 2012
    Thank you so much for posting those registry entries. I was able to get VB6 with SP6 to install and run on 64 bit Windows 2012 R2 with the above advice. Like you I had a legacy app that was part of a larger app, and I needed to build the whole mess on a TFS build controller.

1. Install Visual Basic 6.0 but do not select DAO. This install completed and it appeared on my list of installed programs.
    2. Even though install of VB6 completed, sp6 would not complete successfully until I entered the registry entries suggested above.
    3. Install vs6sp6b.exe to unpack it.
    4. Pick properties on setupsp6.exe and set compatibility for Windows XP SP3.
    5. Run setupsp6.exe as administrator and install was successful

Just in case anybody is using the MS Office fm20.dll in VB, the ActiveX Control Pad will not install on a 64 bit machine. Solution is to copy fm20.dll & fm20enu.dll from a 32 bit machine (windows\system32) to your 64 bit machine (windows\sysWow64) and run regsvr32 on fm20.dll as administrator.