Thread: assignment for intro to programming csci

assignment for intro to programming csci

hey i have been working on this diagonal sum function for my college intro course and was hoping i could get some help
    here is the code i have got so far.

Public Class Form1

Private Sub Form1_Load(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
    Dim myarray(3, 3) As Integer
    'table numbers
    myarray(0, 0) = 1
    myarray(0, 1) = -2
    myarray(0, 2) = 3
    myarray(0, 3) = 14
    myarray(1, 0) = 0
    myarray(1, 1) = 55
    myarray(1, 2) = 3
    myarray(1, 3) = -17
    myarray(2, 0) = -2
    myarray(2, 1) = 4
    myarray(2, 2) = 44
    myarray(2, 3) = 117
    myarray(3, 0) = 9
    myarray(3, 1) = 0
    myarray(3, 2) = 23
    myarray(3, 3) = 4

Dim result As String = ""
    For row = 0 To 3
    For col = 0 To 3

Next
    Next
    'putting array into message box
    For row = 0 To 3
    For col = 0 To 3
    result += myarray(row, col).ToString + ControlChars.Tab
    Next
    result += ControlChars.CrLf
    Next

MessageBox.Show(result)
    'sum for loop
    Dim sum As Integer = 0

For i = myarray(0, 0) To myarray(3, 3)
    sum = (myarray(0, 0) + myarray(1, 1) + myarray(2, 2) + myarray(3, 3))

Next

MessageBox.Show(sum.ToString)

Me.Close()

End Sub
    End Class

Ive gotten the code to where it gives my the forms and answers i need but i was wondering if there was another way to do the for loop

Re: assignment for intro to programming csci

Yes indeed there is a different way to do the For loop (I'm assuming we're talking about the summing loop at the end?). If you turned in that code you'd probably fail the assignment, unfortunately.

What you're doing is looping over all the integers from the value in (0,0) to the value in (3,3), so in this case from 1 to 4. On each of those 4 iterations you set the 'sum' variable to the result of the expression, which is the sum of the diagonal cells. This is not what you're aiming for. The For loop is not actually gaining you anything here, you're just doing the same hardcoded sum over and over.

Instead, you should loop over an index into the array, and take one cell at a time and add it to a running total. In other words:
    • Start with sum = 0
    • Consider the first cell you want to add to the sum. That's (0,0). Take the value of that cell and add it to the sum variable, and store the result in the sum variable.
    • Consider the next cell you want to add to the sum. That's (1,1). Take the value of that cell and add it to the sum variable, and store the result in the sum variable.
    • Consider the next cell you want to add to the sum. That's (2,2). Take the value of that cell and add it to the sum variable, and store the result in the sum variable.
    • Consider the next cell you want to add to the sum. That's (3,3). Take the value of that cell and add it to the sum variable, and store the result in the sum variable.
    • The sum variable now contains the sum of the diagonal cells.

Now, when expressed like that, can you spot the repeated code that goes inside the For loop, and the bits that change that need to be part of the For loop expression?