Thread: [RESOLVED] One Question Poll / Survey - The results?

Resolved [RESOLVED] One Question Poll / Survey - The results?

How do I view the results of the poll in the right-pane of the layout?

Re: One Question Poll / Survey - The results?

Actually - there have been other polls that I've wanted to see the results of. Are they too private to share?

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

PowerPoster

Perhaps the results don't support the polemic. They've all been violently biased toward .Net, at least in recent times.

The results of the one question polls will be posted in the Codeguru blog. Results for the Visual Studio poll should be early this week. Next poll will be more for fun. Look for it tomorrow.

Brad!
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Just seems odd the poll doesn't update and display the results after you vote, and doesn't have a link to view the current results like most do.

Here is a poll for you.
    Whats the chance you'll go read a blog to find out the results of last weeks/months poll?
    0%
    50%
    100%
    Last edited by Edgemeal; Apr 14th, 2014 at 09:05 AM.

Fair enough. I was planning to post the results on the forums as well.

The program I'm using for the poll doesn't show the immediate results. At some point I might look fro something better to use, but for now it is what it is.

Brad!
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

Why look for something better? Polls in a thread are already better, as you can see the results promptly. The only advantage to the side poll is that it will necessarily get more eyeballs (being not tied to a specific forum).

By the way, the poll I would suggest would be: Did you realize there was a poll?

My answer would be No, but the question isn't as flippant as you might imagine. We are inundated by advertising online, on TV, and so forth. In everything we do we come up with means to filter the noise out of the signal. With advertising being so ubiquitous, I'm not at all surprised that I didn't even notice that there was a poll, considering that it was located in a place where advertising is located.

This site isn't as bad about running ads that are all about trying to get people to click on them. There have been a few over the years, but not many. Polls in ads are generally just hooks, so people are being trained to ignore them. These polls might serve some purpose beyond the poll themselves. I can't think of a viable way to evaluate the results, but contained in that data is something about the frequency with which people even notice side rail stuff.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Polls in ads are generally just hooks, so people are being trained to ignore them.
    This is very true in my case. I've grown accustomed to seeing all kinds of ridiculous polls on ad-laden sites that my conscious mind doesn't even notice polls too close to ads anymore.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Re: [RESOLVED] One Question Poll / Survey - The results?

so can I assume that neither of you answered either poll I've posted?

Quote Originally Posted by brad jones View Post
    so can I assume that neither of you answered either poll I've posted?

Actually, being that I'm almost always here, I eventually noticed the Visual Studio poll and voted for VS2010 and Jean-Luc Picard for the Star Trek poll.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

You realized you just said you noticed what you said you don't notice....

Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

That is illogical, captain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Quote Originally Posted by brad jones View Post
    You realized you just said you noticed what you said you don't notice....

Are you trying to give me an aneurysm ?