Thread: Connection to Server

Fanatic Member

Connection to Server

Hi

To connect to server below is the code . If due to some reasons server is down it takes a long time to give error message . I am using Sql Server 2008R2

cnn2 is to connect to server

If cnn2.State Then cnn2.Close
    cnn2.Open "Driver=SQL Server;Server=" & SvrName & ";Database=" & "test" & ";uid=" & Suid & ";pwd=" & Spwd & ";"

cnn2.BeginTrans
    On Error GoTo errhandler

str = "Insert statement"
    cnn2.Execute str
    cnn2.CommitTrans

Re: Connection to Server

Yes - it does take a long time to get a failure message. Are you expecting it to be instantaneous?

The default is 15 seconds - if you want it to be shorter do this

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...v=vs.110).aspx

I've only ever increased the timeout - never made it shorter

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Fanatic Member

Hi szlamany

It is taking more time if connection is failed , if it is connected then it is fast . How i can improve connection speed . It is taking more than 1 minute to give connection error message.

Thanks

I have an vbasic script that updates a webpage database records.

The script updates additions and deletions, but will not update field changes, this is because the run is pointing to an old server InetPub (I recently updated to the Arvixe host site) and produces the error message below

Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80004005'

'E:\InetPub\esvc000072\DB\NetBooklist.mdb' is not a valid path. Make sure that the path name is spelled correctly and that you are connected to the server on which the file resides.

/newadmin/ApplyDB.asp, line 199

The script is run at http://musick-cokerybooks.com/newadmin/ and then click here at item 4.

the script is applydb.asp which calls common.asp where the server is assigned
    Attached Files Attached Files