Hi!

I just came back from a meeting with the customer, and I am somewhat confused...

I have experience with developing embedded software for the industry, using xp embedded, visual studio 2008 and also compact framework 3.5.

Now, the customer is asking for an application that can run on a windows 8 tablet (core i5 CPU) that will essentially run as a shekk, meaning they don't want the operator to be able to access anything but the app itself (no charms, no windows button etc).

What kind of technology should I choose? It sound slike we should go with windows 8 embedded, but after reading about it, it looks like it is for RT (ARM) devices alone, and not x86 technology?

We have some hardware that is propetary and have some fishy drivers developed in C or something that we need to access using interop from .NET, and there will never be an arm compatible version of those drivers.

I have had a hard time trying to understand just how customizable and how much I can lock down a windows store app (this app should not even be installed from windows store, but like a traditional msi package).

Please, if you have knowledge about this, or have experience with this kind of development, give me some pointers.

As for database, I am currently recommending Compact SQL 4.0, since this device will aggregate LOTS of raw measurement data that will be synced once every day with the "home base". It is also more nicely integrated with visual studio and entity framework than SQLite....

best regards
Henrik