Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Frickin' Lasers for Eyes!

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Frickin' Lasers for Eyes!

I used to wear glasses and found them to be a total pain. Always slipping down my nose, kept losing them, aggrevated the skin behind my ears etc. I hated them. So I went for contacts. These gave me ulcers on my eyeballs. Eventually I decided that my sight wan't that bad so decided not to bother and have lived in a vaguely blurry world for the last ten years or so.

The thing is, my sight is definitely getting worse now. I struggle to read signs at a distance. My eyes get tired toward the end of the day. I keep thinking I see an attractive girl and then "Whoah, Nelly! Run! Ruuuuun!".

So I'm thinking about getting that there laser eye surgery. I've got an appointment booked for Saturday to go over all the details, get myself tested for suitability etc. But, lets be honest, the thought of having someone burn lumps out of my cornea isn't exactly apetizing. So I was wondering if any of the good folks at VBF have had the procedure or know anyone who has. If so what was the experience like?

On a final note, I wait with baited breath to see if Shaggy comes up with a pun cornea than this one.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Re: Frickin' Lasers for Eyes!

You might want to get some legal counsel, first, though the lawyer would probably want you to pay him a retina.

On a more serious note, a buddy of mine got that surgery done a few years back (well, more than a decade, by now) and has been quite happy with it. His vision was probably worse than what you described, though he never had an issue with contacts and used them fairly frequently. He was correcting for near-sightedness. However, age takes its toll on us all. I've never worn glasses (other than sunglasses), but I know that I will be in a few years, as I'm holding things farther and farther away to read them.

Therefore, the key question I would be asking them is this: How long will this leave me without glasses, or will I just be exchanging one type for another? After all, how much benefit will you receive if you get the surgery and then are wearing reading glasses anyways within a year?
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

By the way, I think that the lead-off pun requires a southern drawl for it to sound right. Google Translate might have one if you don't speak hillbilly.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    On a more serious note... However, age takes its toll on us all. I've never worn glasses (other than sunglasses), but I know that I will be in a few years, as I'm holding things farther and farther away to read them.
    I've worn glasses since about 6th grade. Yes, they're a curse.

About 10 years ago I got "conned into" multifocals because it is true that my vision was changing to a point where I was still nearsighted but also had close-work vision issues.

Things are rough enough now that even multifocals, especially with the granny glasses lenses and frames considered fashionable today, just don't leave a wide enough "band" of 2-foot range vision for PC work. So I bought a cheap pair of single-focus lens glasses online with bigass aviator lenses ground to my "middle prescription."

And yes, I now often feel like Fred Sanford rummaging in his glasses drawer when I sit down to or get up from PC work.

However my point is that having your eyes lasered may not be permanent since vision alters over time. Then there's the question of how many relaserings before you go blind or need glasses anyway. And what about long term implications? I'm thinking induced cartaracts here.

All questions I'd want two or three opinions on before letting Dr. Evil's Feakin' Laser go to work on me.

I'm 47 and have been wearing glasses since age 8. I'm so hopelessly nearsighted without glasses/contacts I can't see anything clearly that's more than 14-15 inches away. And I'm at that age where correcting my long-distance vision kills my ability to see up close. When wearing contacts I need "cheater" glasses to read.

So my choice is to wear glasses to see far away or get that part of my vision fixed and wear glasses to see up close. Being an avid model builder I value my close-up vision more so for now laser surgery is not even being considered. But as my close-up vision deteriorates and I'm forced to wear glasses in either case I may just go for it eventually.
    "Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. Pain is temporary. Glory is forever." - Robert Craig "Evel" Knievel
    “Leave me alone, I know what I’m doing.” - Kimi Raikkonen

PowerPoster

I'm not sure what drugstore reading glasses are supposed to help with. They don't seem to work for me at any distance.

For work on mineral samples, models, or electronics I tend to use one of those flip-up magnifier headgear things with a set of interchangeable lens powers. I only wish I'd sprung for one with a powerful lamp built in but I get by using a hiking headlamp I already own.

I understand it's quite a sight, but I've avoided mirrors when decked out in such a manner.

Dilettante = cyborg!

PowerPoster

Could be nerdier I suppose. But no phone or calculator hanging from my belt. Just a folder sheath most of the time.

BTW, these guys make some nice customs:

Jedco Custom Knife Sheaths and Cowboy Knives

I like the plain KS-150 left-slant with snap-flap in brown myself. Handy. secure, and unobtrusive.
    Last edited by dilettante; Apr 10th, 2014 at 07:36 PM.

the lawyer would probably want you to pay him a retina
    So that was a yes then. I knew Irisked being outdone just by posting the challenge. In punninng I am merely your pupil. Anyway...

I think the permanence of the fix is probably the major issue for me. From what I've read I get the impression the fix is fairly permanent in that it'll typically last alot longer than a glasses prescription would but nothing can fully stop your vision degrading with age so it's not a once in a lifetime procedure. If we're talking something that'll last into my 50s (I'm 42) then I think I'd be happy with that.

Things like induced cateracts that D mentions (sorry for the abrevitaion, I can't cope with all those Ls and Ts this morning) is definitely a concern and that's why I thought I'd throw the question out there. Has anyone heard any verifiable accounts (ie not from some bloke in the pub) of damaging side effects? Everyone I know who's had it done has been very happy but you also hear lots of "Well I know this bloke whose Sister's, Freind's Cousin..." types of stories that I never really believe.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

I know an Ophthalmologist and I'd say I did not hear any complaints of any patients he performed laser (correcting the grade) on and yes it should be permanent.
    Regards,

As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

Lucky me gets to wear two different pairs of glasses. One for the computer and one for everything else. The everything else glasses are bifocals. (distance and very up close viewing) AND, I have two pair of computer glasses so that I don't have to carry them back and forth from work.

PowerPoster

My previous but one boss had the laser surgery done - said it was unbelievably painful...but that my be because it went wrong and the flap they had cut on his cornea turned over inside his eyelid.

I've never had to wear glasses or contacts and my vision is 20/20. With that being said... sucks to be you right now. I couldn't image somebody burning crap out of my eyes.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Hi FD, i wear Contacts and have considered Laser myself

I know a couple of people who have had Laser Eye surgery both were successful operations.

Both of them said to me the most important thing is the record of your surgeon, and in particular the after care you get as how they look after you and the advice they give you (and help if anything goes wrong) is worth the price.

They both said don't go for the cheapest option, go middle of the road or higher on price. (no after care for the cheapest)

I think you can look up individual surgeons success rates for laser eye surgery, would certainly be something to look into.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

and in particular the after care you get as how they look after you
    And how the look after the surgery.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Well, now that the lid has been blown off the eye puns, there's not much left to say that isn't low-brow.

Considering your age, I think a fair amount of consultation would be warranted. You are almost old enough to be beginning the standard decline into senescent decrepitude. You can be as opticmistic about this as you'd like, but in the end: We're worm food. So, you are not really talking about permanence, you are talking about the benefit (and duration of same) versus the cost (financial, and some estimate of the potential risk). If you were 20, that calculation would be considerably different than it is now. I'd really be surprised if you'd have a ten year window before age-related degredation meant that you'd be back to glasses anyways. Is that worth the cost? Hard to say. That's why you'd have to consult.

As to those stories, there is always a remote chance of problems with any surgery. Why worry about the remote in your neighbor's eye and not about the laser beam in your own?

(it turns out, that quote has so many variations that it's hard to find some standard translation to try to match)

PowerPoster

Once you're into either application-specific sets of glasses or multifocals your appreciation of vision can go up, along with worries about losing it. Anyone who ever experienced temporary blindness can probably appreciate it even more.

Sadly it probably isn't possible to get objective answers about either the long-term duration of "lasered" vision improvements or the long term risks when you later enter your 50s, 60s, and 70s. Part of the reason is probably axe grinding by interests on both sides, and part due to wide swings in individual experiences. There must be both horror stories and happy endings on both paths of the decision.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by dee-u View Post
    I know an Ophthalmologist and I'd say I did not hear any complaints of any patients he performed laser (correcting the grade) on and yes it should be permanent.
    Well of course not. Complain and the laser mafia comes around with a 2 pound hammer offering a "knees adjustment."

I have a LASIK consultation this Thursday. Like others have brought up, don't go for the discount LASIK as they typically use older technology (a blade to cut a flap) as opposed to the newer technology that is all laser. I know a several people who have had the surgery, all will great results and they are all happy they did it.

My parents got LASIK a few years ago. After a year my dad resorted back to wearing reading glasses most of the time. And my mother wears reading glasses just for reading.

The operation only last about 10 seconds per eye, about a half hour total with prep and what not. I have never heard anyone say they encountered any pain during the operation. Only people saying they felt like there was sand in their eyes the days following the operation.

I have worn contacts since I was about 15. Over teh years the eyes get tired and your vision goes south. I think contacts long term ruin your eyes.

I have several friends who have gotten lasik and all were happy they did it. Dont get RK and opt for the more expensive and widely used laser sergery lasik. There is even a 3D version which maps the surface of the cornea and makes cuts to properly end up with a perfect cornea. Not sure if lasik has different variations but research your doctor and the type of surgery you are going to get.

I plan on getting it done soon as I can. Im blind without my contacts and even if its not long lasting (due to aging eyes) its a better position to be seeing with and down teh road if I need a light perscription glasses so be it. At least they wont be coke bottles lol
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

PowerPoster

Just avoid those "Vision 3000" vending machines at the penny arcade though I guess. Always a worry when a machine wants to work on some inserted appendage.

Name:  lasik.png
Views: 199
Size:  75.5 KB

OK, so I had the consultation on Saturday and I'm feeling pretty positive. One thing I will say that I thought was quite negative: the whole thing felt a bit like a sales pitch with corny videos and "book now" discounts offered at the end. That's not what I want when I'm considering a surgical procedure but, in amongst the salesy stuff was alot of good info as well.

The surgery on offer is the full laser one so no scalpels slicing eyeballs which is a relief. Dilitante just can't resist a scare story, first it's the death of windows then it's the death of my eyes. (Only kidding, mate. I genuinely wanted to hear the bad as well as the good)

They offer two varieties, the basic at £1100/eye and the 3D version RobDogg described for £1500. They basically said that you only really get the full benefit of the 3d version if you do lots of sports that require you to react to you visual sense very quickly. So if you're a racing driver then you want the 3d but if you're a progarmmer then the basic would probably do. That said the cost difference isn't that much, I do alot of snowboarding and this is a permmnent effect so I reckon I'll stump up for the 3d. There is an option to only get one eye done (we all have a dominant eye that does all our seeing, the other is really only there for depth perception) but that sounds daft to me.

The operation is permanent but your eyes aren't so duration of benefit is a consideration. I have poor long vision but excellent close vision so for me the operation would actually degrade my short vision slightly but give me perfect long vision. As I age my short vision should degrade normally and I'll probably ghave to wear reading glasses, but I'd have to anyway. This would just mean I'd need them slightly sooner and a slightly stronger prescription. I think that's a pretty reasonable trade off.

What DClamp said about sandy eyes is exactly what they described to me and they reckoned I'd be off work for about 2 days (1 day for the op and one for recovery).

All told it sounds pretty positive and I've decided I am going to get it done. I'm waiting until my tax return comes back from the accountant before I book it because I think I'm looking at a pretty chunky bill this year but I foresee that I'll have it done in a month or so.

"Vision 3000"
    That's fake isn't it? That's got to be fake. Please tell me that's fake because, if not, wow... just wow.

I have a LASIK consultation this Thursday
    Good luck. Who are you getting the consultation from BTW? I spoke to Optical Express.
    Last edited by FunkyDexter; Apr 14th, 2014 at 03:07 AM.

Its a place just North of where I work, NVision. I heard a lot of good things about them.

Good to hear that your consultation went well. Makes me hopeful about my consultation. I am picking up OT shifts at work to help pay for the surgery. I have pretty much already decided that It is something that I want to do. Just have to make sure I am eligible.

I am picking up OT shifts at work
    I'm a firm believer in paying for everything up front but if you're struggling to find the money at all then it's worth knowing that Optical Express do 10 months interest free credit. Given the sales pitch I'm willing to bet they'd throw in a free ball point pen as well.

That said, if you've got a particular surgery that you trust I'd take that over interest free credit any day of the week.

This place also offers financing. I have plenty of money saved up, but I am also saving up to buy a house. So I will probably go with financing so I dont lose a big chunk of my savings.

Be a little bit careful with that. Taking out any sort of finance just before applying for a mortgage acts as a pretty big black mark. It creates the suspicion that you were borrowing the desposit which the lenders don't like. As long as you won't be applying for a mortgage in the next couple of months it'll be fine though.

No, I wont be applying for a mortgage for at least a year. I will have it paid off pretty quick.

In that case finance away. Like I said, I think I'm going to wait for my tax bill becasue I'd like to avoid finance altogether but if my tax bill's so huge that I'd have to put off the procedure then I'll take the finance and do it straight away. I know I'll have it covered easily before the interest free period is up and I can't think of any reason to put it off.

One thing I should have mentioned that did impress me about the consultation I had was the emphasis they placed on after care. As NSA identified, this is one of the most important factors. Wth Optical Express it's all included. You get a visit check up after a week, another after a month and anoher at 6 months. If there are any complications or the operation doesn't take they repeat it for free. I'm not quite sure how they fix things if they explode your eyeball with their huge frickin' laser but I reckon that's probably an edge case.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    They offer two varieties, the basic at £1100/eye and the 3D version RobDogg described for £1500. They basically said that you only really get the full benefit of the 3d version if you do lots of sports that require you to react to you visual sense very quickly.
    That's the bit that impressed me about this whole thing: they didn't try to pressure you into going for the more expensive procedure.

If it all goes horribly wrong, do they give you a jar to bring your eyes home in?
    Indecisiveness is the key to flexibility.

www.mangojacks.com

they didn't try to pressure you into going for the more expensive procedure.
    Well.. they sort of did. The cheaper option was mentiond almost as a throw away and it was only when I pressed them on what difference it would actually make to me that they said I might not get the full benefit with my lifestyle.

I have to say, I did not like how salesy they were at all. The consultation was definitely a pitch for business and didn't make any bones about it. But I wouldn't say they tried to miss-lead me into a bad decision. It was mostly a case of putting all the options out there but trying put a big positive spin on the option that would make most money for them.

If it all goes horribly wrong, do they give you a jar to bring your eyes home in?
    They assured me that would be covered by the standard after care package.

I've never had any direct dealing with Lasik, yet I've still noticed how much of a sales pitch there is for the service. I'm not sure why that is, but the companies that perform the procedure seem to advertise more than any other invasive or semi-invasive procedure that I know of....well, except for Colonoscopies-R-Us, but they're just weird.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    That's fake isn't it? That's got to be fake. Please tell me that's fake because, if not, wow... just wow.
    All I can promise is that I made up the name. The picture was something I found on the 'net already made.

I'm sure they'd need at least a van if only to hold the arrangement of braces and straps that hold you steady, and walls to muffle your screams.

Not walls, exactly. It seems like an excellent, modern-day, use for the Bronze Bull of history. Whatever mechanism they used to turn the screams into music might be well suited to that device.

King of sapila

I don't have problems yet but sunglasses bothers me a lot, i do spastic moves when i wear them, contact lenses, i believe i will never ever use them as i will fall down doing 360's trying to get used to them and laser scares the sh.(sh != Shaggy Hiker) out of me. So if my vision goes bad i will probably do nothing and die in a horrific car accident since i would not be able to see straight and let a monkey that looked and sounded a lot like a lady do the driving.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

When you get to that point, let me know, cause I'll try to sell you a cow as a chauffeur.

King of sapila

Will do but not a cow man. Will look like a fat lady and i prefer slim figures. So maybe eehhhm, a sheep or a flamingo. But i prefer not to get to that point. I'm trying eye push ups but i am not sure how , has to do with the eyelashes or something. Meh.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

I've had glasses since last January. They don't really bother me much at all. In fact, I probably wear them more than I need to. I don't really need to use them watching TV but I find that I feel a bit woozy for a while after taking them off if I try to focus on something so I usually leave them on so I don't need to take them on and off.

I asked my optometrist about contacts but he said that they were not recommended because he didn't want me to use something all the time. I also asked about laser surgery and he said that my eyes weren't bad enough. He said that a successful outcome generally left people with about what I have now anyway. That suggests to me that using glasses for computer work and the like may still be necessary.

Strange as Ive only heard people getting 20/20 and in some cases even better.

FD, did you do your research on the place and doctors? Sounds like just about everything else you have checked

Im doing the 3d laser lasik when my eyes and life settle down. Been working 18 hour days and leaves me with double or very blurred vision.
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

did you do your research on the place and doctors?
    Not yet but I will. I'm pretty happy with Optical Express as a company but I'm not sure who the actual surgeon would be or how I'd find out. I'll have to look into that. I haven't actually booked a date with them yet so I've got time.

I figure double vision's a good thing 'cause two's better than one, right?

I would think you could research the Dr's by starting with the company. Surely their site has an About page that lists their current Dr's

Double blurry is not better lol.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast