Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Frickin' Lasers for Eyes!

Re: Frickin' Lasers for Eyes!

FD,
    I suggest you take an extended sea-voyage without wearing glasses.

If you do this, your eyesight will be miraculously cured and restored. I read this in a book and books don't lie.
    Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'
    save a blobFileStreamDataTable To Text Filemy blog

Well, I've now read that on the internet, and the internet doesn't lie, either.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

I went to my LASIK consultation yesterday. Everything went very well, I am a good candidate. The price was right: $4,400 total. Zero interest financing for up to 24 months.

As I was walking out of the office, they had a tv screen showing a live surgery with a window looking into the surgery room. The tv was a close up of the eye during the surgery. Watching them peel back the flap turned my stomach. Then it started bleeding. I was grossed out.

They said they would give me .5mg of Xanax, my dad and family doctor said I would need a lot more than that...

PowerPoster

Sounds nasty. I might just live with my glasses for a while.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I've booked in for the 1 May. I got the surgeons name and checked him out. His operation count runs into the hundreds for this procedure and every single one of them has been successful. Can't argue with that.

Watching them peel back the flap
    Depending on what you're having done I don't think that's necessarily part of the procedure. The thing I'm being put forward for is 100% laser. No cutting, no peeling, just zapping all the way. I think it depends on your eyes though because there was a surgical option being mentioned on some of the literature.

I read this in a book and books don't lie.
    I chuckled
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Yeah I will be opting for the all laser treatment. However, they still have to peel back the flap after the laser makes the cut.

OK, that's not the impression I got but perhaps I miss-understood. That does creep me out a bit but I can live with it.

Sooo, less than two weeks then. I must admit, I already feel a bit nervous.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    Sooo, less than two weeks then. I must admit, I already feel a bit nervous.
    Less than 30 seconds per eye and its done. They told me that recovery time is less than 12 hours. Which makes me happy.

Why isn't anyone opting for the sea-voyage?
    Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'

They told me that recovery time is less than 12 hours
    They told me I'd probably want to take the next day off work but didn't neccessarily have to.

Why isn't anyone opting for the sea-voyage?
    Surely that should be see voyage.

Everybody turn off their avatars on May 1st so that when FD comes back he'll think he's blind.

LA, Calif. Raiders #1 AKA:Gangsta Yodaâ„¢

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Everybody turn off their avatars on May 1st so that when FD comes back he'll think he's blind.

We used to have those day or month themes. We should do one again
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda™ ®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    • Reps & Rating Posts • VS.NET on Vista • Multiple .NET Framework Versions • Office Primary Interop Assemblies • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NET • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6 • VB.NET Attributes Ex. • Outlook Global Address List • API Viewer utility • .NET API Viewer Utility •
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

I've booked in for the 1 May. I got the surgeons name and checked him out. His operation count runs into the hundreds for this procedure and every single one of them has been successful. Can't argue with that.

Depending on what you're having done I don't think that's necessarily part of the procedure. The thing I'm being put forward for is 100% laser. No cutting, no peeling, just zapping all the way. I think it depends on your eyes though because there was a surgical option being mentioned on some of the literature.

I chuckled
    Sounds good FD. Glad to hear he sounds like a qualified Dr.

That flap thing would make me curl too. I just want teh 3D laser and thats all[/color]
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    • Reps & Rating Posts • VS.NET on Vista • Multiple .NET Framework Versions • Office Primary Interop Assemblies • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NET • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6 • VB.NET Attributes Ex. • Outlook Global Address List • API Viewer utility • .NET API Viewer Utility •
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888 View Post

Pirate theme.

Thats when VBF was fun.

Pirate theme.
    Definitely. I'll wear an eye patch. Or two.

Pirate theme isnt until Sept. though

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

I have an idea. lets switch avatars for a day. that should confuse most of the regulars.

We have also all changed our avatars to one members and confuse everyone lol

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

We have also all changed our avatars to one members and confuse everyone lol
    How do they do that?
    My usual boring signature: Something

Quote Originally Posted by dclamp View Post
    How do they do that?
    Nope, you didnt write in navy blue text lol

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Nope, you didnt write in navy blue text lol
    Damn. But you have to admit that I got your signature perfect?
    My usual boring signature: Something

One more day. Eeep!

You taking Friday off? 4 day weekend

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Take a last, blurry, look at your eyes.

Hopefully they dont accidentally use a shrink ray on your eyes instead of LASIK

You taking Friday off?
    Yep and Monday's a bank holiday over here so it's a 5 day weekend

Take a last, blurry, look at your eyes
    I have to squint to see 'em... and then I can't 'em 'cause my eyelids are in the way. It's catch 22.

Hopefully they don't accidentally use a shrink ray on your eyes instead of LASIK
    It'll be fine. They'll just have an epic adventure, fight off giant ants, my left eye will fall in love with my right eye and eventually they'll find their way home.

The upgrade went smoothly.

So you have already had it done?

No, but windows 8.1 is looking fine... Appt in 45 minutes. eep!

Sure it went well but guess we wont know for a while as you are under the virtual knife now or perhaps done but cant see the computer screen to post anymore?

Hope all is well and we are waiting on a detailed report complete with pictures and perhaps some video

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

So...FD should be officially light headed by about now. He'll be able to complain about the mote in his neighbor's eye because the beam will have been removed from his own. He's a fan of Laser-fair ecomomic procedures.

extractor fan?

I'M ALIVE!!!!!

<phew>

The operation wasn't bad at all but I've got to admit that the noises, some of the weird sensations and all the moving lights and stuff did induce quite a bad panic reaction in me. I really was struggling not to and it took me 20 minutes or so to calm down again. Still, no pain at all during the operation and the surgeon and assistants were really good. The actual operation took maybe 2 minutes, probably less, I'm not sure as my sense of judgement was thrown off somewhat by that point.

The aftermath was pretty grim. Once the anaesthetic drops wore off my left eye in particular hurt like crazy for a couple of hours. A friend of mine was baby sitting for me so nipped up the chemist and got some strong pain killers which helped hugely and by the end of the evening I was feeling pretty much fine.

This morning everything feels good. My sight has definitely improved a lot but I don' think it's perfect yet. I remember it being better when I wore glasses. Still, they say it continues to improve over several months and they'll also do further adjustments if needed so overall I'd tentatively mark this down as highly successful.

I'd love to make a pun at this point but honestly don't have one in me. I apologise for letting you all down in this regard.

DClamp, have they set up a date for yours yet?

No date set yet. I am going to schedule it for sometime this month. I am glad to hear your surgery went well puts me at ease.

The eye doctor suggested that we plan my surgery on a morning right after I get off of work (I work graveyards). So I will be tired, plus semi-drugged up. They will do the surgery. Then I can sleep for the rest of the day and let my eyes rest. And then have the rest of the week of before I go back to work.

Although watching the surgery on the screen grossed me out. I am still excited to get it done... with the help of drugs.

They will do the surgery. Then I can sleep for the rest of the day and let my eyes rest
    That's pretty much what they recommended to me except they also said I should put 3 rounds of eye drops in. I couldn't work out how to do that and sleep at the same time. In the end we just put a tele program on that I didn't really need to look at to enjoy and we sat and chatted with the lights down low. I think as long as your avoiding bright lights you should avoid any gremlins.

For me the worst bit was the sense of panic but I think that was probably just me. There was really nothing bad about it at all and I think I'd just let it build up in my head more that I really wanted to admit to myself. You should be absolutely fine. And I'm noticing my vision improving even as the morning goes on.

For me the worst bit was the sense of panic but I think that was probably just me.
    I will be panicked the day of, I know it. That's why we are going to our family doctor prior and getting extra strength anti-anxiety drugs. Something that will really mellow me out to the point my dad will have to walk me out.

And I'm noticing my vision improving even as the morning goes on.
    Thats great to hear. I cant wait for my surgery. Just tonight I got into bed, closed my eyes, and thought... did I take my contacts out?? Got up and checked. Nothing. Yet I woke up at 0445 and felt like my contacts were still in.... Ready to be done worrying about contacts

What was the medicine? Makers Mark single malt, or some other brand?

For me the worst bit was the sense of panic...
    I think you mean "the worst bit so far". Wait until you start seeing ghosts, or murders as they happen. I'm fairly sure that's what happens after every eye operation.
    Indecisiveness is the key to flexibility.

www.mangojacks.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast