Thread: [RESOLVED] Managing ListView Columns (with Checkboxes)

Resolved [RESOLVED] Managing ListView Columns (with Checkboxes)

I started off using a CheckedListBox, but that didn't allow me to control the check boxes as I wished to. I read that a ListView with the CheckBox property set to True would give me more control, so I've recoded for a ListView.

I'm now stuck as the ListView is 100% loaded and controlled programmatically and I can't figure out how to force the Items added to the ListView into a single column, currently the items insist on loading into two columns at the width of the checkbox:
    Name:  ListViewColumns.png
Views: 781
Size:  1.3 KB

How can I set the width of the column and force the items into one column?

Code:
            Dim itm As ListViewItem
            clstFolders.Clear()

With clstFolders
                .Columns.Clear()
                .Columns.Add("Folder Settings")
                .Columns(0).Width = Me.clstFolders.Width
                ' get the list of folders from app.config
                modGlobals.ReadAppConfig(aFolders)                  ' an array of strings
                ' now load the times in to the CheckListBox
                For i = 1 To modGlobals.gFolders
                    itm = New ListViewItem
                    itm.Text = aFolders.GetValue(i)
                    itm.Checked = True
                    .Items.Add(itm)
                Next
            End With
    End Sub
    I'm not sure I'm tying the Items to the Column either, but I can't see how to do that...

Re: Managing ListView Columns (with Checkboxes)

Change to the Details view... but if you only have the one col, a list view really isn't the best control to use... A listbox would have been better... what difficulties were you having with it?

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

I couldn't check if the item (string) is checked or not, nor could I change the Checked value when the control was a CheckedListBox

Code:
    For Each itm in CheckedListBox1.Items
    itm is a String so it seems to be impossible to manipulate the checkbox.

I can do all this in ListView, but I'm having a problem with the Column...

Right... it is a string... that's why you use the SetItemchecked method:
    Code:
            For a As Integer = 1 To 10
                Me.CheckedListBox1.Items.Add(a.ToString)
            Next

For a As Integer = 0 To Me.CheckedListBox1.Items.Count - 1
                Me.CheckedListBox1.SetItemChecked(a, True)
            Next
    -tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Thanks for that, that worked.

Not obvious, but I'm glad it's there!

Re: [RESOLVED] Managing ListView Columns (with Checkboxes)

Yeah, not completely obvious, but if you think about it, it does make some sense, since the objects in the list could be anything (especially if it's bound to a list or a datatable) so those objects wouldn't have a Checked property... so the CheckedListBox has to handle it... there's also a corresponding GetItemChecked that returns the checked value of the item, as well as a CheckedItems collection property.

-tg

Re: [RESOLVED] Managing ListView Columns (with Checkboxes)

GetItemChecked: Yes I found that, once you told me about the SetItemChecked...