Thread: [RESOLVED] Does Oracle have a DEVELOPERS edition like MS SQL?

Resolved [RESOLVED] Does Oracle have a DEVELOPERS edition like MS SQL?

Ok - with MS SQL I can install "developers" edition on any machine I want - and then copy a production DB to that machine and work on it.

Does Oracle offer the same tool?

And if it does, when I copy an Oracle DB to a local machine do I have "full permissions" to the DATABASE, as I do with MS SQL??

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Addicted Member

Re: Does Oracle have a DEVELOPERS edition like MS SQL?

I think you can use whatever version of their DB standard, enterprise, and I think express now? (think they have an express version) for development purposes.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/te...se-088383.html

Looks like you can, I didn't read through the whole thing.

Yes. Oracle has the full edition available for download. Express editions are also available.
    Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'
    save a blobFileStreamDataTable To Text Filemy blog

Quote Originally Posted by szlamany View Post
    And if it does, when I copy an Oracle DB to a local machine do I have "full permissions" to the DATABASE, as I do with MS SQL??
    Can anyone answer this question? Can I access the restored DB even if I did not have permissions to it on the original production server?

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Can anyone answer this question? Can I access the restored DB even if I did not have permissions to it on the original production server?
    I just spoke with my DBA and he said he does this all the time. However the operating systems have to be the same. This is based on his experience. You cannot copy a file from a Unix operating system and use that in windows.

An option to do this across operating systems is to export the database using the data pump tool and then import it in the windows environment using the same tool.
    Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'

The "server" that has the original DB is inhouse here - it's just that the vendor does not give us access to it directly. No SYSDBA access (I'm saying last statement wo/knowin anything about Oracle).

That server does make a backup every night - that the IT person here has access to.

My goal is to get a Dev version of Oracle installed on a new box here - will be same OS - and restore the production BACKUP to that machine.

And I need to know if I can then get full access to this restored copy. MS SQL allows this - if I am ADMIN on the new server I get full access to any DB restored - regardless of the security of the DB on the original server.

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Burleson Consulting has a blog post about this. For your specific case, you need to start at STEP 3.

That blog - that step #3 - is that taking a regular backup and loading that?

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

That blog - that step #3 - is that taking a regular backup and loading that?
    Yes.

Thank you so much - I have passed this info on to those who need to see it - and I'm marking this thread resolved!

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Thank you so much - I have passed this info on to those who need to see it - and I'm marking this thread resolved!
    You're welcome. If you're stuck with an oracle related problem, Tom Kyte is an excellent resource.