Thread: [RESOLVED] How to get started on existing web service code copied locally

Resolved [RESOLVED] How to get started on existing web service code copied locally

We have a web service running live. Last week, we pulled the source code down to my machine and successfully built it.

My goal is to become familiar with this code and document it. My problem is that I am not sure how to get it running locally.

First of all, I have to configure it in IIS or something? How do I do that, and is that indeed the right place to begin? I tried creating a consumer in a separate VS solution, and when I said browse for local web services it said "Active Directory Services cannot find the web server."

I tried this link, but got lost when it said "3.Under Visual Studio installed templates, click ASP.NET Web Service." because I don't have that template.

Any help would be appreciated.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Re: How to get started on existing web service code copied locally

I tried just hitting F5 and running the web service and I am getting prompted for credentials. So I have asked that question in-house and I'm sure it's nothing you guys can help with. I'll see what happens after I get past that.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I am onto this now:

Unable to automatically step into the server.

I created a consumer in a separate VS solution. I am able to compile the consumer but when I try to run and hit F11 to step into the web service call, I get this error.

The debug switches are set properly in the ws project, so I am not sure what to try next.

This has to do with my credential problem from post #2. I guess I can't just do this:
    Code:
                PartnersWS webService = new PartnersWS();

try
                {
                    string testXml = "";
                    webService.ImportXML(testXml);
                }
    I have to pass the id and pw in the call to the webmethod.

Then I had error: Unable to automatically step into server. unable to determine a stopping location
    which I determined was because there was no app pool for FW 4.5, which is what I had my solution projects configured as.

So I am all set. Thanks for letting me talk myself through this!

My next question, now that I am running the app, will be XML-related .