Thread: Colourz - My vb program

Colourz - My vb program

Colourz is now an open source program - Colourz - GitHub. Anyone can see the code. Its main purpose is to generate colours and translate them between RGB and HEX. To generate the colours I am using 3 trackers with the max value of 255 for each, every tracker represents a primary colour (red, green, blue). Or you can use a custom input in text boxes located right next to the trackers. This program automatically translates your RGB code and puts it in Hexadecimal code. Another feature you can save colours. Randomly generate colours at a set speed. There are a few customisable options for this program but in the future I aim to add a lot more, so please, give me feedback on what I can improve. Follow us

Youtube video: Colourz - Colour Generator [RGB to HEX Converter] [Open source]

Change log
    Code:
    V0.9.0.0
    Removed all the Icons that where at the top of every tab to reduce application size
    Resized the Window
    Removed the donate tab
    Added a donate button in the Menu bar
    Removed Customise tab and moved options in colour generator tab
    colour generator tab fixed up
    Removed 'Check for updates' next to Menu option
    Added new colour picker feature

V0.8.0.0
    Fixed the Saved colours customise button
    Deleted the Customise button in saved colours tab
    Moved the Black Background and White background from customise tab to Saved Colours tab
    Changed the size of the buttons in Saved colours tab
    Deleted the Saved colours group box in customise tab
    Saved colours when generated checkbox added to customise
    Changed loop text to Looped AMOUNT times
    Fixed Minus Values on Custom colours text boxes
    Changed the size of the Customise objects
    You no longer copy the # when copying hex code to clipboard
    Fixed Sizes of Copy to clipboard buttons

V0.7.0.0
    Removed Large colour preview tab
    Removed Large colour preview tab from help section
    Changed location of Whats new and help tab
    Changed Application details
    Added Version list in the top right corner
    Added a link to our website in menu bar
    Added check for updates next to Menu button
    Changed whats new text box to no border.
    Changed the Saved colours text box to a borderless textbox
    Fixed about button in the Menu bar
    Deleted the 'Our plans' Button in the Menu bar
    Donation tab added

V0.6.0.0
    The Whats new Tab has been added
    Fixed Opacity when you have errors checking for updates
    Saving pallets have been removed
    Saving colours have been added
    Help tab has been adjusted
    A few adjustments have been made to some of the pictures
    Added 3 new text boxes to enter custom values
    Colour Generator tab has been reworked and changed
    New customise buttons have been added
    Saved colours have now black and white background, what ever your choice is
    Reset text for saved colours has been added

V0.5.0.0
    First Release
    Last edited by zackdavidson; Apr 7th, 2014 at 08:49 AM.

Re: Colourz - My vb program

I for one am always eager to download source for applications I have no idea about the purpose of. There may be other people who think doing so would be stupid though, so may you might consider providing some sort of explanation of what your application does and why we might be interested in it, just for those people.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    I for one am always eager to download source for applications I have no idea about the purpose of. There may be other people who think doing so would be stupid though, so may you might consider providing some sort of explanation of what your application does and why we might be interested in it, just for those people.
    I'm changing the readme file so it will be a lot more detailed

Quote Originally Posted by zackdavidson View Post
    I'm changing the readme file so it will be a lot more detailed
    Who cares about the ReadMe? I'm talking about right here. Why should we even click the link to get to the site to download the ReadMe when we know nothing about the code? It doesn't have to be extensive but common sense should tell you that at least a sentence or two is in order.

Who cares about the ReadMe? I'm talking about right here. Why should we even click the link to get to the site to download the ReadMe when we know nothing about the code? It doesn't have to be extensive but common sense should tell you that at least a sentence or two is in order.
    There

That's fine, but you really should post the details and description here... that's what his point was... you can provide a detailed readme, but that means people are still going to have to first download it... most of us just aren't in the habit of downloading things around here. There have been incidents before that make us somewhat of a cautious lot.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

There
    No, here! If it's too much effort for you to write a couple of sentences to describe it then it's definitely too much effort for me to download it.

Dude I've wrote it haha and did when I posted this

Dude I've wrote it haha and did when I posted this
    So, when you posted "There" what you actually meant was "I have updated my first post to include the description that I should have provided in the first place. Sorry for the inconvenience". Where I come from, "There" does not inherently mean that I should know that the first post, which wasn't actually visible on my screen, has been updated. You seem determined to type as few characters as possible and assume that we will read your mind for the rest. That gives me a clue as to how you are likely to have written your code so I'll assume that it's crap and not bother downloading it.

So, when you posted "There" what you actually meant was "I have updated my first post to include the description that I should have provided in the first place. Sorry for the inconvenience". Where I come from, "There" does not inherently mean that I should know that the first post, which wasn't actually visible on my screen, has been updated. You seem determined to type as few characters as possible and assume that we will read your mind for the rest. That gives me a clue as to how you are likely to have written your code so I'll assume that it's crap and not bother downloading it.
    If that is what you think. Cool haha, I really couldn't care less to what you have to say, go look at the code and decide for yourself. But true that I should have informed you about changing the first post but it is more or less likely I would change the first post rather than any other posts?

https://github.com/zackdavidson/Colo...urz/frmMain.vb

There is the coding

If that is what you think. Cool haha, I really couldn't care less to what you have to say, go look at the code and decide for yourself. But true that I should have informed you about changing the first post but it is more or less likely I would change the first post rather than any other posts?

https://github.com/zackdavidson/Colo...urz/frmMain.vb

There is the coding
    Perhaps, but a lot of us also use the "View first unread post"... which skips all the way down to the bottom, so we wouldn't have seen your edits. To be honest, you would have been better asking the mods to unlock your original post so you could edit it to point to the code. At least in that thread you had a better explanation and screenshots.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    Perhaps, but a lot of us also use the "View first unread post"... which skips all the way down to the bottom, so we wouldn't have seen your edits. To be honest, you would have been better asking the mods to unlock your original post so you could edit it to point to the code. At least in that thread you had a better explanation and screenshots.

-tg
    I know it had screen shots etc and information, but now this thread has information

New stuff added

Need some more feedback please

Feedback

You didn't post any designer generated code for the controls on that Form. How am I supposed to run this ? Isn't there a download for the complete project ?
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    You didn't post any designer generated code for the controls on that Form. How am I supposed to run this ? Isn't there a download for the complete project ?
    Theres a download for the Exe file....and everything is in github all the **** thats in the project

It would be extremely helpful if you could upload the project rather than just posting to source code! We can not guess as to what is required to create a working version such as the one you linked to in the first post. The point of this section is to show others how to do something via working projects and/or code snippets not projects they have to assemble themselves.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker83 View Post
    It would be extremely helpful if you could upload the project rather than just posting to source code! We can not guess as to what is required to create a working version such as the one you linked to in the first post. The point of this section is to show others how to do something via working projects and/or code snippets not projects they have to assemble themselves.
    Isnt the purpose of this section to show of code?

Isnt the purpose of this section to show of code?
    Working code! If people do not know how to use it it is worthless. You need to prove a demo project.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672