Thread: The Physics Behind Goat Simulator

Computer Science BS Jacob Roman's Avatar

The Physics Behind Goat Simulator

Fantastic fun yet pointless game where you can play as a goat and buck stuff up while running a muck. What makes the game really fun are the crazy physics going on. But can anyone describe the physics used behind Goat Simulator?

Sinecure devotee

Re: The Physics Behind Goat Simulator

I'm not sure what there is to explain that can covered in a general question and answer forum.
    I have two books on my shelf that cover "simple" physics for game developers, and I'm surely not going to be able to distill even the basics of that subject in a few posts.
    The two books I have are "Physics for Game Developers", by David M. Bourg published by O'Reilly, and "Physics for Game Programmers" by Grant Palmer, published by Apress.
    I find the book by Grant more approachable compared to David's because of the math symbology in the equations involved.
    Not having played Goat Simulator, I can't give my impression as to the realism of the physics demonstrated, and even if I did play it, determining what shortcuts might have been employed in the physics of the game are probably not deducible.
    I would also image a lot of 3-D games would use a physics engine that already exists, to implement the game, rather than code them from scratch.

Goats don't follow the laws of physics so this question cannot be answered.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Surely if goats don't follow the laws of physincs then the laws of physics must be behind goats. If they did follow them then the laws would be in front of them. This is assuming a queuing system of course. Do goats Queue?

And why does queuing have so many vowels in it anyway? It's an ugly word.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

So you want to know about goat physics eh? Welcome to the Caprine Academy.
    Name:  GoatProfessor.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  55.3 KB
    The first thing you need to remember is that you use your head for butting and your butt for ... Well, if you can't work that out you aren't ready for this class.